Handfeeding help for my goffin numi

tata

Oct 18, 2015
ny
Parrots
Goffin cocktoo
I got a Goffin cockatoo at 10 weeks old now she's 5 mo my question is that
hand feed when I got her breeder eat on own but she doesn't not want to live the formula what can I do:grey:

Re: learning about my goffin numi

tata, Im very sorry no one has responded to your post. Many of us have no experience hand feeding little ones and we're hesitant to give advice if we aren't sure.

Different species wean at different ages. Numi, at five months old should be ready to wean. If he is eating enough on his own, then you should only be hand feeding twice a day, morning and evening. Cockatoos are clingy little boogers, Numi probably relies on the hand feedings more as a form of comfort than for nutrition. I would weigh Numi daily to make sure he doesn't loose too much body weight while cutting back on the amount of formula. What is his regular diet? A bowl of fresh chopped veggies, grains and a little fruit offered first thing in the morning and again in the evening when he's more likely to be hungry may help him decide to give up the formula.

Hopefully someone with more experience will also be along with helpful tips. Best of luck to you and Numi.

Allee gave good input. Weaning is a delicate time for a parrot and doing it wrong can leave them feeling insecure and having issues later on in life.

How much and how often are you feeding right now? What kind of solid food are you offering?

this what am her think for this list
Veggies:
Dark Leafy greens (kale, mustard, collard greens, dandelion greens & flowers, and romaine lettuce).
Carrots
Broccoli
Broccolini/rapini
Beet tops
Spinach (in moderation)
Sprouts (home sprouted please)
Cucumbers
Peppers (hot and sweet)
Squash - zucchini, acorn, spaghetti, butternut, yellow, pumpkin
Sweet potatoes
Turnips and rutabagas
Wheat grass (sprouted, cooked, and grown)
Carbohydrates:
White potatoes
Whole grains; barley, millet, quinoa, wheat berries, oatmeal, cream of wheat or rice, etc.
Whole wheat pasta
Whole wheat bread
Cous-cous
Brown Rice
Wild Rice
Corn
Peas
Grape nuts (not too often because of the vitaminization)
Puffed Wheat cereal or Kashi (again, not too often)
Shredded wheat
Unsalted popcorn or rice cakes
Birdie Bread
Beak Appetit and other commercially prepared birdie foods.

Proteins
Eggs (scrambled or hard boiled)
Chicken or Fish (cooked without salt & low fat method)
Plain yogurt also I will not push her form her forulm im only ask is all ty so much guys

The list is pretty good, and I'd offer a small selection at a time to see what's being eaten. Measure out amounts or weigh the food before feeding. I like the paper plate approach so you can see visually what's gone, separate out the food and let her choose.

You can also try pellets soaked in a little warm water to soften, and handfeed that, decreasing the amount of time you let them soak, so she gets used to a firmer texture. You can also hand her the food, and let her take it, gradually showing her that you're putting that same food in the bowl.

Keep weighing her every day to make sure she's gaining weight. A little loss during a diet change is okay, but you have to watch her poop too, so stick to paper towels and change them often. As she's transitioning, you should see more solid poops, less water and urates, but more vegetables or watery fruit will give more watery poop. If it's ALL watery and urates, and very little fecal matter, she's not eating enough.

Most importantly, take your time. Your baby will wean eventually, but just like human children, they do things at different rates, and consult with a vet if you're concerned.

This site has some information for handfeeding and weaning, as well as a bit of poopology.
https://theparrotuniversity.com/arthandfeeding2

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back