Handmade rope perches, orbs, and swings

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Re: Handmade bendable, swaying and hanging rope perches

Shirre, I've looked everywhere for thick cotton rope, either plain or dyed. The only source I've come up with is the lead reins used for horses. You might get two small boings or one large one from a lead rein, but China is the only place I've found them cheap enough to be worth buying. What grade of wire do you use? I've been using ordinary old fencing wire (8-gauge), but I have a sneaky feeling I should be using something a bit more up-market. ;)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

I'm interested in a larger "Orbit" as well, probably 3/4" or 1" for my U2, if you're still making them!

I'll add you to the list! I haven't started making them yet lol but I guess I better get to it!! Haha :p

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

Shirre, I've looked everywhere for thick cotton rope, either plain or dyed. The only source I've come up with is the lead reins used for horses. You might get two small boings or one large one from a lead rein, but China is the only place I've found them cheap enough to be worth buying. What grade of wire do you use? I've been using ordinary old fencing wire (8-gauge), but I have a sneaky feeling I should be using something a bit more up-market. ;)

I found a rope supplier who has us-based cotton ropes of various sizes, and I also have Ss wires of various gauges-- 10, 12, and 14 ...so it depends on the specie I'm making things for. My local welding shop is a good resource for short pieces of ss wire, but eBay is a good resource of you want a continuous "roll" of it.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

So here's my first orb~ I think the next I'll do a little different for extra support- I just need to go get the part tomorrow.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

I also made this one as an experiment

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

That's really cool, what kind of rope is it? And what kind of wire did you use? I bought most of the things to make them myself but haven't gotten to it yet!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

That's really cool, what kind of rope is it? And what kind of wire did you use? I bought most of the things to make them myself but haven't gotten to it yet!

This is untreated/unoiled Manila, and I only use stainless steel metal components.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

This is untreated/unoiled Manila, and I only use stainless steel metal components.
The only thing I forgot was wire cutters! Ugh!

I'll have to check out the manila, looks very nice!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Handmade bendable, swaying and hanging rope perches

The only thing I forgot was wire cutters! Ugh!

I'll have to check out the manila, looks very nice!

Oh yeah- wire cutters are a must lol

Manila is tougher yet less prickly than sisal (so far I prefer it over sisal)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Those are nice! I can't wait to try the manila next time I order from you. Tougher yet less prickly sounds good :)!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

Oh yeah- wire cutters are a must lol

Manila is tougher yet less prickly than sisal (so far I prefer it over sisal)

I bought grass cord, tough to work with but I'm making a small net and some other toys. Coconut husk, too prickly, will probably incorporate it into toys. Have plain cotton I was going to use for a boing or orbit, and just ordred some manila rope in some different lengths and some different cotton. Oh boy, I have so much crap! When I give up on my projects, I know where to send my supplies!

CbusGrey

Sep 8, 2015
C-bus, OH
Parrots
Have an awesome WBC right now. Hopefully a beautiful African Grey down the road.

Would love to get some of these for my WBC. Sent a PM [emoji4]

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

I'm commenting on this now so that I can find it later ;)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

Looks like I'll be adding orbs and O-Swings to my list of objects I can make~ these can also be dyed, but the Manila can't take as many colors as the cotton due to its natural brown color.

This one is huuuuge-- a diameter of 22" and a circumference of over 6 ft [emoji33]

And the O-Swing

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Thanks again!

20151005_172212_zps5qzjtyk5.jpg

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!

Looks like I'll be adding orbs and O-Swings to my list of objects I can make~ these can also be dyed, but the Manila can't take as many colors as the cotton due to its natural brown color.

This one is huuuuge-- a diameter of 22" and a circumference of over 6 ft [emoji33]

And the O-Swing

Marley and Phoenix thank you for their Monster orb!! I just got it up before I left to go offshore. I will get you some pics when I get home.

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
[ame="https://youtu.be/AVo9BcAGiWI"]Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo on Orb (By Getwozzy) - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions