so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Amazons tend to "dance" when excited but sometimes the excitement can be happy and sometimes it can be angry.
Telling the difference can be difficult but important.

The first video shows Bingo dancing in a "happy mood". If I was carful I could pick him up in this mood.

[ame="https://youtu.be/y7VPJprXWpc"]Merlin and Bingo dancing - YouTube[/ame]

In this second video I removed the top of Bingo's cage to see what Merlin/Bingo would do.
Bingo starts dancing but this is the clearest DANGER dance I have ever captured.

[ame="https://youtu.be/3t81p5NI7tk"]angry dancing - YouTube[/ame]

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Jeez, you’re not kidding, the difference is SUBTLE!! I need to study these a bit more to see if I can spot the differnece, perhaps slight difference in intensity?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I put acrylic sheets on top of cage to save toes. After my budgies some toes...
I'm a big fan of the acrylic now, and easy to clean

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Impressive body language on display!! Hard to notice but the eyes must have been pinning at warp speed second video?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great video there fellow Amazon staff person! :D

I'm a strong believer in observation of at least three body language signals to define the different between happy and dangerous. Within that group, as noted above, there are very subtle differences. It is without surprise that the 'hot three' loose their homes during their transition.

Being sloppy around a hormonal Amazon can be dangerous.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Tail spreading, snake heading, squealing vocalizations, and I'll bet the eyes were flashing. Yep, I am not touching Bingo in that condition.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

Merlin is extremely vigilant when traversing Bingo's cage.
The top could be more dangerous cuz it's not as simple as dethatching from the side and flying away.

I was only trying out Bingo's cage without the top.
The top is on in the upside-down position so there is clearance for hanging toys from the top.
If I put a piece of acrylic on top I would run into clearance problems with the toys. I bet it would be FUN watching Merlin and Bingo looking at each other:04:

I guess you get the acrylic cut to size? Would a hardware store do something like that?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Merlin is extremely vigilant when traversing Bingo's cage.
The top could be more dangerous cuz it's not as simple as dethatching from the side and flying away.

I was only trying out Bingo's cage without the top.
The top is on in the upside-down position so there is clearance for hanging toys from the top.
If I put a piece of acrylic on top I would run into clearance problems with the toys. I bet it would be FUN watching Merlin and Bingo looking at each other:04:

I guess you get the acrylic cut to size? Would a hardware store do something like that?

Yes, 'some' hardware and big box stores will cut it for you. BUT, it can be easily cut with a jigsaw with an application specific blade! Just let th blade do the work!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy doesn't know how to dance. But very good a lunging and chomping.:green:

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio went into all-out 'Big Eagle' yesterday. Combo'ed with several other typical Body Language signs! Yes, He is 'still' riding his high-horse.

As we woke this morning, its cold for us at a -12 degrees F overnight. Yes, others get colder, much colder, but we have these huge body of water that tend to temper our temperature here.

Looks like a warm-up for next week and Pacific air off-sets this Arctic air mass.

Most Reactions