cockatielBoy21

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
none yet but lanning to get lovebirds,conures, andcockatiels
Hello I really want to get a parrot but I feel like my house is not safe for any birds. Do any of u guys have the
Emeril™ Essential Nonstick Hard Anodized 11-Piece Cookware Set in Black
I have had it for about a year and since they have now discontinued it, I cant really research it. Please let me know if this cookware is safe for birds.
Thanks.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I totally LOVE you for asking before acting!

In my opinion, all these 'non-stick' things eventually prove deadly. My chef-ish husband finds all the good stuff he needs with traditional cookware.
And I have a living 38 year old parrot.
We see so many awful outcomes here.
In my thinking, it's best to choose 'twixt non-stick and parrots.

I'm glad you're here.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I managed to look these pans up and I am pretty sure they still have a Teflon-type layer. But the pans were made without a certain cancer causing chemical so they’re advertising them as special.

They say they’re “safe up to 500F” which is a giveaway for the Teflon coating.

I was hoping they were ceramic coated but they are not.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hard Anodized or Anodized Treatment is an 'expensive' highly specialized surface coating used in very special application commonly having to do with obtaining a specific surface hardness. I am concerned that this is little more that a manufacturer's marketing group using a 'specialty term' to sell a product.

The Post above is excellent and I agree!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forum!

I agree that these pans are risky. Depending on how you cook, stainless steel or cast iron pans are safe options, and I've found both in thrift stores before.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Anodizing aluminum is done to give it a certain color or appearance ( my company does this all the time). It has nothing to do with the actual cooking surface. IN my book "non-stick" anything = dead parrot. True they are thought to be safe upto a certain temperature, but as any chef knows, there will be a day when you forget to lower the flame or leave it on too long and the food will be burnt and your parrot will be dead. Blunt but we see too many cases on this board of parrots dieing from toxic fumes to not state the situation very clearly. Also be aware that most appliances that have a heating element in them - toasters, ovens, breadmakers, air fryers, rice cookers, hair dryers(!), irons, ironing boards or covers - typically have a teflon or similar coating on them as a corrosion preventive. And its almost impossible to get a straight answer from someone who actually knows the true facts about what coating was used, as 99.9999% of these products are made in China and the customer service rep you will talk to have not the faintest idea of what is actually used. BE FOREWARNED!

OP
C

cockatielBoy21

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
I managed to look these pans up and I am pretty sure they still have a Teflon-type layer. But the pans were made without a certain cancer causing chemical so they’re advertising them as special.

Hi so it turns out i cant get a bird. Would u guys know of any other pets that can with stand teflon and nonstick cooking pans.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dogs, cats, reptiles, fish, spiders, snails and most other exotic animals are not affected by Teflon or nonstick coatings. Birds, because of their unique respiratory systems are most affected by this and fumes from other industrial or household products ( paint, fragrances etc).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi so it turns out i cant get a bird. Would u guys know of any other pets that can with stand teflon and nonstick cooking pans.
It is important to remember that teflon and other non-stick products can also effect Humans especially those with lung issues! Once the surface of a non-stick product becomes damaged the temperature in which it becomes dangerous /toxic falls too much lower temperatures.

OP
C

cockatielBoy21

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots

thank you for the reply

OP
C

cockatielBoy21

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
hi everyone so according to your very helpful replies I have acknowledged I will have to get new pans. But when I get a bird it will be a little expensive to get new pans so is there any way I can clean the air or prevent the bird from smelling any unnecessary smells
thank you

OP
C

cockatielBoy21

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
also thank you all for your great replies

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Keep your bird away from the cooking area/kitchen
Use kitchen or oven exhaust fans whenever you cook
Always watch your stovetop if you have something cooking. Teflon doesn’t produce dangerous gas until it gets too hot.
Open a window (and use a fan) if you burn something on the stove to get bad air out and fresh air in.
Or put your birds in the bathroom with bathroom fan on if the air is clean there and shut the door (if you burn something or make smoke).

(Basically keep your bird away from the kitchen and use fans to change the air if you burn something.)

Most Reactions