Has my lovebird forgotten me or is she mad?

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
I own an Opaline lovebird (blue, female, Named Snowii) Whom I have Hand raised ever since she was 8 weeks old. She is absolutely sweet and sassy, a very energitic birb who is the most sassiest To ever hangout with. She flies to where ever I am, Loves her cuddles, Is In a flock consisting of two budgerigars, loves to shred either my clothes or paper, And cunning birb. I and My family adore her and the other two, But she's only okay with me coming close to her. As all this was peacefully going on, thats when I had to go on vacation for 2 months to my home country. Snowii and the two where under the care of a relative who often takes care of them during vacation- but snowii kind of hated this person; charges at him every time he puts his hand inside to change water and food, or to place vegetables from time-to time. And when I came back day before yesterday at night, Greeting her in morning, She was weary of me and acted as if I was a stranger- she would fly away from me or ignore me every time i approach, letting me get to her only when she feels needy. She remembers the tricks I taught her, and sometimes even gets inside my sleeve (well, she did once today.) and bites me quite aggressively. I am very heart broken at this.. Has she lost trust, forgotten me, or is she just mad that I left her?

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
I would also like the solution to this, I will do it, no matter what it takes-

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
So sorry you are going through this! I doubt that she has forgotten you but she may just need some times to adjust again. Since you were gone such a long time I would just take things slow and treat her as if she were a new bird in the house. Give her time to warm up to you again. Offer her treats through the cage, talk to her, sit in the room with her. Don't force interactions but let her take things at her pace and just settle in again.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots are quite able to get mad at someone and hOld a grudge. I suggest appologiziing profusely , with many treats and keep at it. SHe will forgive you in time.
In the future, it always helps to explain in advance that you will be away for awhile and for how long (show it by fingers or other things). They do understand that. Doing this will usually cut the mad period substantially. TRUST me - it works1

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
So sorry you are going through this! I doubt that she has forgotten you but she may just need some times to adjust again. Since you were gone such a long time I would just take things slow and treat her as if she were a new bird in the house. Give her time to warm up to you again. Offer her treats through the cage, talk to her, sit in the room with her. Don't force interactions but let her take things at her pace and just settle in again.
I also doubt she has forgotten me as well, She seems to be a bit more clingier yesterday when I offered her a lot of treats, scritches and cuddles. She only seems to be doubtful of my hand now, but she steps up and accepts scritches, and she continues to nibble and try to destroy my earrings and glasses.

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Parrots are quite able to get mad at someone and hOld a grudge. I suggest appologiziing profusely , with many treats and keep at it. SHe will forgive you in time.
In the future, it always helps to explain in advance that you will be away for awhile and for how long (show it by fingers or other things). They do understand that. Doing this will usually cut the mad period substantially. TRUST me - it works1
I tried this! and Will continue, since it seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Little update:
Snowii is bonding back to me greatly! She showing signs of trust, such as letting my hand wrap around her as she naps on my arm, Allowing scritches, and doing whatever she wants infront of me with no lingering fear. She comes and goes on her own, I think she is still a little mad, Since she does not obey when I call her over. But otherwise, Things are going great! I also wanted to mention the pain snowii's going through since Yuko will just not accept her love... Imagine how one-sided love feels? my poor baby-

Most Reactions

Latest posts