Have you ever been criticized for owning a bird?

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
From left to right, I keep getting criticized for owning a bird, and it happens regularly. Even other bird owners criticize me and say that owning one bird is abuse. I get that having two is optimal, but my bird didn't come in a pair, and it's very hard for me to get another bird at the moment. I probably won't be able to get another for a bit. The more that people tell me it's horrible to own birds, the more I feel guilty. I no longer feel the same joy as when I first got him.

Edit: Talking to everyone on this forum has made me feel a lot better. I appreciate everyone for answering, sharing their stories, and giving me helpful advice. I wish you all a wonderful day! Happy holidays!

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Ignore them. They have no idea what they're talking about. Having one bird is NOT abuse, as long as you care for it properly. Plenty of people have only one bird who thrives off the owner's love. Never ever stop feeling happy about your bird, regardless of how many people criticize you about it

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We live in an odd World where far too many individuals believe that their opinions somehow matters! In the vast number of cases, it doesn't. The single Parrot home is fair more common than the home stuffed with hundreds of Parrots.

As so well stated above, if you are properly caring for your Parrot your Parrot is happy, it is a wonderful thing.

Far too many Social Media Butterflies that are lost in the self joy of their words. Time to turn and walk away as they are simply not worth your time. In the mean time, you need to stop allowing others to define you!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
From left to right, I keep getting criticized for owning a bird, and it happens regularly. Even other bird owners criticize me and say that owning one bird is abuse. I get that having two is optimal, but my bird didn't come in a pair, and it's very hard for me to get another bird at the moment. I probably won't be able to get another for a bit. The more that people tell me it's horrible to own birds, the more I feel guilty. I no longer feel the same joy as when I first got him.
Hyun-Ae, to that sort of person I would say that they are welcome to their opinion, and I would also tell them exactly where they could stuff it! How dare anybody else criticise a dedicated and loving bird owner like you, whether you have one bird or three or fifty! Please do not let any other miserable or petty soul rob you of the joy you get from loving your little birdie - rather pity them for being so small-minded. And remove them from your Christmas card list too!

Abu Colo

Oct 28, 2017
Columbia
Parrots
Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird, Strigops habroptilus subsp. fortasse
Way too many budgerigars
I had my bird out on my shoulder and some vegan Β©^&* walked by and said "That bird should be free." I wanted to have a word with her that a lame bird with no survival skills other than ringing a bell for food wouldn't last long in the wild, but all I could manage before she rode away was that no one asked her for her opinion.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
There are some very disheartening videos and websites out there about birds-as-pets. I can understand where people get the idea that birds-as-pets is "bad." And, unlike cats & dogs, there are Not lots of pro-bird-pets websites & videos everywhere. Indeed, there should Not be, because to own a bird Responsibly is not easy. Further, people meet other people's cats and dogs, and get charmed by them, whereas a lot of birds, meeting a stranger for the first time, are likely to seem un-friendly.

This is to say: have compassion for people who want to criticize you for bird ownership, knowing it is very easy to fall into that point-of-view. And, knowing it is Very Easy for them to fall into that error, therefor be reassured and renew your own joy in your bird. Know that IF you indeed are diligent to treat your bird responsibly & with loving care for its individual needs, then your critics are simply, but understandably, mistaken.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I've recently seen this on social media and it is very disheartening. It seem that these are the same people also believe in no pet ownership. I'd take their criticism with a grain of salt, only you know your situation and your bird best.

Some birds like being alone while other thrives on bird companionship. I love my lovebird and he thrives on both human and bird companionship. Would he be happy by himself sure. My other lovebird, Pearl, would not be a bird who would be happy by herself and needs a birdy friend. Every bird is different just like us. Maybe in the future your bird would thrive with a companion or maybe not. What kind of bird do you have? I would love to see photos!

Having a bird as with any animal takes responsibility and sacrifice. Things that require the most are often the most rewarding. Treasure the time you have.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I've recently seen this on social media and it is very disheartening. It seem that these are the same people also believe in no pet ownership. I'd take their criticism with a grain of salt, only you know your situation and your bird best.

Some birds like being alone while other thrives on bird companionship. I love my lovebird and he thrives on both human and bird companionship. Would he be happy by himself sure. My other lovebird, Pearl, would not be a bird who would be happy by herself and needs a birdy friend. Every bird is different just like us. Maybe in the future your bird would thrive with a companion or maybe not. What kind of bird do you have? I would love to see photos!

Having a bird as with any animal takes responsibility and sacrifice. Things that require the most are often the most rewarding. Treasure the time you have.
1637731988654.png

This is Dio, my 6-month-old cockatiel. Originally, I wanted a green cheek conure, but this lil' guy needed a new home since his owners had no room for him. Honestly, I haven't sacrificed much since my mother banned a lot of chemical items in the house, such as nonstick pans, even before I got a bird, and I am very sensitive to smell. Except for 2 days a week for when I'm gone for 8-9 hours, I spend all day with him, and I allow him to roam about my room 24/7 (except for when I'm at work). The only thing I miss is being able to go out of the house once in a while to hang out with friends; I haven't done so since I got him because I get anxious leaving him alone for too long. I also keep having this anxiety that my best isn't enough for him, and it won't go away. This has resulted in me going on shopping sprees for him, and I've been having a hard time controlling it.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
We live in an odd World where far too many individuals believe that their opinions somehow matters! In the vast number of cases, it doesn't. The single Parrot home is fair more common than the home stuffed with hundreds of Parrots.

As so well stated above, if you are properly caring for your Parrot your Parrot is happy, it is a wonderful thing.

Far too many Social Media Butterflies that are lost in the self joy of their words. Time to turn and walk away as they are simply not worth your time. In the mean time, you need to stop allowing others to define you!
I wish I could walk away, but some of them are my coworkers. I wish I wasn't so scared to stand up for myself, but I feel like I'd sound too arrogant.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
View attachment 32387
This is Dio, my 6-month-old cockatiel. Originally, I wanted a green cheek conure, but this lil' guy needed a new home since his owners had no room for him. Honestly, I haven't sacrificed much since my mother banned a lot of chemical items in the house, such as nonstick pans, even before I got a bird, and I am very sensitive to smell. Except for 2 days a week for when I'm gone for 8-9 hours, I spend all day with him, and I allow him to roam about my room 24/7 (except for when I'm at work). The only thing I miss is being able to go out of the house once in a while to hang out with friends; I haven't done so since I got him because I get anxious leaving him alone for too long. I also keep having this anxiety that my best isn't enough for him, and it won't go away. This has resulted in me going on shopping sprees for him, and I've been having a hard time controlling it.
Dino is beautiful! Maybe set up a nanny came or skype - I made two accounts and one that would always answer the others call so I could video chat and check in on things. I think it's wonderful that you are spending so much time with your bird but sometimes it's good to socialize with your friends too!

Maybe write a list of everything your bird needs and what you can provide to set your anxiety at easy. I do alot of reading and information gathering so I can be prepared incase of an emergency. Finding a good vet is pretty important incase an emergency ever arises. Just keeping putting your best foot forward. And if you feel the need of a shoping spree maybe think of things you can make for your bird or read her/him a story. I read mine bedtime stories when I can.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Yes, I've been critized a lot for owning a bird. There are strong believers that exotic animals should be in a zoo only. There are also people who believe that birds should be in the wild, and its cruel to keep them in a home/cages. I try to avoid these topics as much as possible as there are many different ways to look at the same situation.

I can see the one parrot I adopted was harmed by being in captivity. He was rehomed several times at no fault of his own. He had many medical issues, and no one took him to the vet. He was rehomed for being a bird. It's hard for me to argue that some people should not own birds. They don't have the experience, time, or understanding. Birds are loud, they bite, they are messy, needy, picky, and the list can go on.

People who know the above things, and still take on ownership of birds I fully support. These will be great owners. I would do anything to help someone who is trying, and doing the best that they can.

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Dino is beautiful! Maybe set up a nanny came or skype - I made two accounts and one that would always answer the others call so I could video chat and check in on things. I think it's wonderful that you are spending so much time with your bird but sometimes it's good to socialize with your friends too!

Maybe write a list of everything your bird needs and what you can provide to set your anxiety at easy. I do alot of reading and information gathering so I can be prepared incase of an emergency. Finding a good vet is pretty important incase an emergency ever arises. Just keeping putting your best foot forward. And if you feel the need of a shoping spree maybe think of things you can make for your bird or read her/him a story. I read mine bedtime stories when I can.
I have an avian vet I take him to! So far, I love them, and I trust them enough with him. I also have boarding options set up just in case I have an emergency. I DIY toys for him every week (I even made him a giant play stand out of PVC), but he prefers to just chill on my shoulder or run across my desk when I'm in class or doing assignments. I use him as a buddy to practice my Spanish, lol. I do literally everything with him, even showering.

I've been thinking about setting up a nanny cam! My family and friends call me crazy, but it's reassuring to see a lot of bird owners doing it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Letting shopping be a compensation for any perceived guilt is not a good thing. Don't go crazy buying stuff that he may not even like. I'd wait until you learn what types of toys he likes to destroy - I know I went crazy when I got Salty and had lots of un-played with toys that I finally gave away to folks.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I don't know where you come from, but I noticed that it also depends on our location - eg. here in central Europe attacking people with single parrots is REALLY common. Once time one person said me to go to the prison for it. Really. On most Polish facebook groups after writing that you have just one parrot (at least one in its genus) you'll get few comments "BUY the second one"... Personally I am a moderator of one group where such comments aren't allowed - I and the admin know how many people were blocked for attacking and commanding others to buy the second bird...

MTG

May 22, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Parrots
Quaker Parrot,
Congo African Grey
I also keep having this anxiety that my best isn't enough for him, and it won't go away. This has resulted in me going on shopping sprees for him, and I've been having a hard time controlling it.
I struggle so much with this, you are not alone in this feeling. I am regularly doubting that I am doing enough for my birds and that my best is never good enough. But in a sense, I do think it makes us take the best care of them. But I do hope the anxiety will lessen eventually.

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
My struggle is when I say my Babies haha haha. People look at me like I am crazy! BUT I do not care. At the end of the day, they do not know how much these birdies own my heart. LITERALLY, they are my babies, they are our family, as we are theirs. They bring us soo much love and joy, and knowing that they think of me as their mommy makes me feel even better.

Yes, they are birds and I understand that part. BUT I also truly believe that I am giving them the best life possible to my ability. My birdies have been with me since their gotcha date, just a couple of months after their hatch date. So they truly would not survive and do not know what it would be like for them to be completely out in the free. I think if it was adoptive birdy.. maybe I would feel differently. But as long as in our hearts we feel them happy, that should be soothing enough :)
YEY to birby parents. :sneaky:(y)πŸ€—

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I struggle so much with this, you are not alone in this feeling. I am regularly doubting that I am doing enough for my birds and that my best is never good enough. But in a sense, I do think it makes us take the best care of them. But I do hope the anxiety will lessen eventually.
I think it just comes with owning a new pet. The feeling has died down a tad, but I do get spikes every now and then.

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I don't know where you come from, but I noticed that it also depends on our location - eg. here in central Europe attacking people with single parrots is REALLY common. Once time one person said me to go to the prison for it. Really. On most Polish facebook groups after writing that you have just one parrot (at least one in its genus) you'll get few comments "BUY the second one"... Personally I am a moderator of one group where such comments aren't allowed - I and the admin know how many people were blocked for attacking and commanding others to buy the second bird...
I've stopped using a few other forums because of that situation. I've seen owners explain to central Europeans that their bird is not friendly towards others and that they do own several other birds. I saw a post of two african greys suffering in small cages, and someone commented, "Well better two than one lonely birb." Or I've seen someone explain to another that their lovebird was a rescue who's owner got rid of her because she kept killing her cage mates, and they argued how it was abuse to have one and that they shouldn't own a bird. I hope I don't sound like I'm criminalizing them in general because I know it's not all Europeans. It's just bizarre to witness a few that are very passionate about the subjects in situations where owning two birds isn't a good idea.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've been questioned by well-meaning friends and associates but never overtly criticized. A good thing as my typically accommodating demeanor shifts to assertiveness and engagement. The level of ignorance and false assumptions truly appalling!

Most Reactions

Latest posts