Hello, Everyone!

MikkyLynn

Jul 27, 2020
I decided to join this forum because I thought it would be great to read other peoples experiences owning an Indian Ringneck. I am not planning on getting one until next year, if I do still think the IRN is the right bird for myself and my family. I am almost 23, married stable job and have a daughter. My husband and I do plan on either buying or building a house within the next couple years. My original plan was to wait until we had our own house before I got a bird. However, some recent things have come to my attention. My grandmother has a goffin cockatoo, and two sun conures. I am set to inherit these birds when she dies, or maybe a little earlier if her and my grandfather move to Italy in the next seven years (or, god forbid something happens to her and she dies suddenly). When she first told me I didn't think much of it until I was thinking about my husband and how he was never had a bird or been around a bird. Then all of a sudden one day I have three birds. For me growing up with them, I am fully prepared, and my husband is also very well aware that I will inherit these birds and he's okay with it. But, again he doesn't know what it intails to have a bird, let alone three and especially not a cockatoo. So, in recent light I want to get a bird, that can help sort of break my husband in (besides I do really love birds, hence why my grandma is choosing to leave her birds to me), so when I do inherit three birds it won't be a crazy shock to him. I find the ringneck appealing for me due to their independance. I do work full time from home, so I will have my bird out all day, however, I won't always have that one-on-one time that most birds needs. Especially duing my busy season (Oct.-Dec). Were I may only have an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening to dedicate that one-on-one time. I also, like that the ringneck is vocal, but from what I have read not a screamer (like a macaw), unless during their breeding season when they become affectionate. And I am okay with this. The rest of the year Jan.-Sept, I have more than enough time for a bird, but I am very aware that during Oct.-Dec. I sometimes work 80 hours a week, and even sometimes 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. So, other than letting my bird be outside their cage all day around me, (I will have their cage in my office) then I will only have very limited time to give to a bird during those three months. I still have to spend time with my daughter as well. And I know the damage that can do to a bird. I have not personally owned a bird before either, unless you count the chickens I owned as a kid. I have only grown up around birds. So, this will be my first time owning a bird. Again I am not planning on getting a bird until next year, I am more on here to do some additional learning and talk to you lovely folks, before making an ultimate decision.
Thank you to everyone who read my ridiculously long introduction!
~Mikky

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. SO if I understand this, you want to get a parrot to break your family into the real life of a parrot owning hosuehold? Because youwill eventually get 3 more, one of which is a cockatoo? So you'll have not 1 but 4 parrots that need not only some one on one time, but all the nessecary work involved in keeping them clean, fed well, and your house clean too. In addition to being a mommy and holding down a full time job. Your assuming all the parrots will get along with each other AND you and your family. Don;t take this the wrong way, and this is absolutely just my opinon.

AREYOUCRAZY! I'm not even going to go into what might not be in the parrots best interests ( which I usually do), but your own. That sounds like a reciepe for a trip to the nut hatch with all the stress. Even if the hubby helps, there is zero guarantee he is going to love taking care of 4 parrots or that they will all have lovely rosy relationships with him, or your daughter. Your putting a lot of faith out there.

Can I suggest that you all visit and volunteer if possible a parrot rescue in your area for awhile. It would be better for the husband and daughter to experience the noise, the taking care of and cleaning up after parrots. Also the good side of parrots, that will be imprtant too. If you can do this, they'll really be ready to accept the 3 new additions to the household, with few surprises. I'm sure other member will chime in here, members with multiple bird households. I know I couldnot do this, and I've had a parrot most of my adult life.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Mikky, thanks for a thorough introduction! I am personally unfamiliar with ringnecks, though you will get a good sense of their personality and needs from other members.

One bird can be challenging, but the eventual welcoming of three additional suggests your husband and daughter will need strong affinity for parrots! Managing the flock long-term during your "busy season" may require all-hands on deck for daily upkeep and socialization. Working from home is a benefit as having the birds out of the cage in your vicinity relieves some (but not all) of the one-to-one burden.

A lot to consider, definitely requires full disclosure and buy-in from your family.

Most Reactions

Latest posts