Help- Bad behaviour

jammythebirb

Aug 19, 2020
England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
I have a female green cheeked conure called Pippin, who was born in late December last year. She was hand raised, and has never had her wings clipped.

She was a little nippy to begin with which was fine, but recently her biting's been getting worse, to the point she's drawing blood. She doesn't seem to be showing any signs of aggression or fear, but sometimes she'll bite my hand, or jump on my shoulder and suddenly lunge to bite my face, neck or ear. She does it to me the most, but has also started doing it to my dad. She never seems to bite my mum at all, I'm a 22 year old man so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. She knows how to ask for 'cuddles' which is very cute, but some of the time she'll say it only to try and bite me when I put my hand down for her to approach.

I did some reading up, and I've just started doing some more training with her in another room. Just step up, turn, high five, that sort of stuff, and she picks it up quickly but it doesn't seem to do much for the biting. I've also stopped reacting to her bites, even though they really hurt, and I've started putting her back in her cage when she does it instead, getting her out again a few minutes later. But that just seems to annoy her, and she does exactly the same thing when I let her out again.

I'm really worried this is going to keep getting worse, and I'm desperate to stop this behaviour so I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm going to be moving out in a few months to live with friends, (she's coming too) and I don't know how that's going to affect her. Please help.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Pippin! I am not a resident conure expert, but can share some generalities until others comment!

Many conures tend to have a baseline of nippiness, and Pippin might be on the early cusp of puberty. Depending on your locale it may be summer, and a record breaking one at that - heat can stimulate irritability.

Some birds prefer a specific sex, and Pippin might favor women - is she especially bonded to your mum? Shoulder privileges must be earned, a conure is capable of deep and disfiguring bites to the face and neck. Please do your best for now to keep Pippen away from sensitive areas!

Not reacting to a bite is good technique. Have you considered Bite Pressure Training? http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

Moving into a new situation with friends will present a different dynamic. Hopefully by then you'll have some good behavioral modification techniques.

OP
jammythebirb

jammythebirb

Aug 19, 2020
England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
Thanks for the response! If I'm honest, the sound of pressure training frightens me a little bit at the moment, as she doesn't nip or nibble anymore, only bite hard. Maybe if she calmed down a bit...

I'm going to keep trying not to make noise when she does it, and probably put her down instead of back in her cage. I'm doing my best to keep her off my shoulder by telling her to step onto my hand when she lands there, but sometimes she's just not into the idea, ahahaha. The trouble is she's just so fast.

Me being a bit stressed about it all probably isn't helping. I guess I'm just going to have to keep at it.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
When Syd was about the same age I had the same problem. I spent some time in a hoodie with gloves and sarf so as not to have anything available to bite. He drew blood several times on face and hands. I read somewhere that the only good bite is the one that doesn't happen, and it's true.

I blocked him completely from landing on me, no shoulder priveleges. I used a piece of perch and he gave me versions of the evil eye, various heartbroken expressions, and looks of deep depression but he learned gradually what pressure with his beak I accepted. He learned the word NO very early, and NO BITING but I had an advantage that there is only the 2 of us.

You have the added dimension of other family members and this could be jealousy that you are a competitor for her fav's attention. Since your father is receiving the same treatment does suggest that this is the case.

Avoid anything that might incite this reaction. Do not hug either parent in her sight. Do not touch/pet her anywhere but on her head and not for too long including your Mum. Avoid all dark places where she can hide. All this will cause hormonal reactions together with aggression.

All of you must treat her like a toddler child rather than let her get any idea that you are best friends and check that your Mum treats her as a parent. Conures can easily misunderstand their relationship with you and the last thing you need to create is a parrot who believes that there is anything other than a platonic relationship promised.

She will try everything in the book to get her way. The cute looks, the snuggles, the sweet talk. Ignore it all. Be firm, be patient, be kind but she must learn the boundaries from all of you. If at the end of the day her bond is with your mum then so be it. Parrots choose their owners but she can be taught her place and to tolerate you all.

OP
jammythebirb

jammythebirb

Aug 19, 2020
England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
That's also good advice, I'm definitely going to try a scarf and gloves for a while, along with a perch. Breaking the shoulder habit seems important. Though I have to say I don't hug my parents or stroke her incorrectly already, although my dad has done in the past. Now he refuses to be in the same room when she's out, so that problem's gone. I could also try taking her little tent out her cage, which feels like a shame since she likes it so much. (Though thinking on it, that actually might be the problem.)

Unfortunately she may not get as much say in who her owner is as she'd like, as she has to come with me when I move out. (I think my dad would probably just get rid of her if I don't.) Then again, she might just choose one of my friends as her favourite human instead. I hope it won't upset her too much.

I'd forgotten it before, but she was hand reared by a woman so it does seem to make sense she'd prefer women.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
That's also good advice, I'm definitely going to try a scarf and gloves for a while, along with a perch. Breaking the shoulder habit seems important. Though I have to say I don't hug my parents or stroke her incorrectly already, although my dad has done in the past. Now he refuses to be in the same room when she's out, so that problem's gone. I could also try taking her little tent out her cage, which feels like a shame since she likes it so much. (Though thinking on it, that actually might be the problem.)

Unfortunately she may not get as much say in who her owner is as she'd like, as she has to come with me when I move out. (I think my dad would probably just get rid of her if I don't.) Then again, she might just choose one of my friends as her favourite human instead. I hope it won't upset her too much.

I'd forgotten it before, but she was hand reared by a woman so it does seem to make sense she'd prefer women.

Yes the hut is a definite NO NO. Quite apart from the hormone risks there are enough stories of birds dying from ingesting fibres. Don't think twice about it.

OP
jammythebirb

jammythebirb

Aug 19, 2020
England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
I tried the scarf, gloves and perch thing today, and the tent is now gone. It seemed to go okay, I wasn't (badly) bitten once, though she did try a couple of times to get my fingers. She seemed a bit distant and annoyed about it, but hey ho. Too early to say this is going to work for sure, but I'm hopeful.

Thanks again!

JerryNewt

May 20, 2020
Hello!

It seems - like others have stated - that your bird might have reached puberty. That is when they turn from cute innocent birbs into angry birbs with nasty bites often as a bonus. Ofcourse this is "just a phase"

I got mine when he went into puberty so I had a lot of fun as you can imagine.

My few cents:

Stick with your training. It's not about stopping the biting, but keeping your bond with your bird strong during this rough phase. Also you really need to spend time with your birb to make him/her see you as part of the flock.

Not reacting to bites might not work because the bird might not care about your reaction. Find out what works in your specific case (a lot of ways to go about it). Mine was to grab the beak and lessen the pressure, but be careful as the beak is very sensitive. Now my bird actually wants to place his beak inbetween my fingers for scratches which is unexpected.

Refuse any shoulder privilege for now.

As it might take anywhere from 1 to 3 months (or maybe longer) you have to stick with it.

Maybe my thread can help you a bit: http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/86521-my-tips-taming-biting-gcc.html

Good luck!

Last edited:

Most Reactions