Help cleo dying. Blizzard = no vet

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Valerie, I am so full of sorrow you and Cleo are in such pain. You've done all that is humanely possible under the circumstances.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Hang in there Valerie! :(

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Thanks everyone :'( there really is nothing more I can do but watch and wait and maybe by some miracle.... But I am not getting my hopes up. She won't eat her favorite food that she fights for (strawberries). I thought oh maybe she will perk up a little once she realizes what it is but no... You guys are my best support system I cannot thank you all enough for beibg here for me once again

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Valerie, I am so deeply sorry that you and Cleo are going through this. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Are you keeping her warm? If she is weak already and inactive her body temp will go down unless you have her on a heating pad or something. I've never had a hen get egg bound but I've been told that keeping them warm and the humidity higher may help pass the egg.

Rose, If it is an egg bound ( and we don't know that for sure) I have seen this with chickens...I fill the sink with warm water, not hot, and let her sit in it for about 10-15 minutes, she'll either pass the egg or poop out anything she may have eaten. Then I use a microwave beany bag warm, and a towel over her to keep her warm. This usually helps.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
it doesn't feel like it's by her vent it feels like her stomach but now I think I feel an egg and she's laying with her legs out and her butt in the ground. She just woke up and is trying to eat i put Gatorade and vitamins in the water and food and she is trying to have it and she's like pretty shaky but she's practically sitting her butt down on the ground like I said.. I think it IS egg bound??
:( im just trying to help her pass the egg then. im so scared

Rose.....get a large enough bowl of warm water.....not hot, and let her sit in this, it helps dilate the vent, and ease in the pain. Do this for at least 15 minutes. Then take her out keep her warm. Use a bit of honey in water for her drink, not cold water, but luke warm, this will boost her energy level and metabolism which will help push out the egg and make the vent muscles work faster. My wife here is an assistant vet, so I'm typing what she's telling me to do.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Oh boy- I'm so sorry the both of you are going through this [emoji26] I have no advice, but we're all rooting for Cleo! Hugs and healing thoughts XXXX

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
it doesn't feel like it's by her vent it feels like her stomach but now I think I feel an egg and she's laying with her legs out and her butt in the ground. She just woke up and is trying to eat i put Gatorade and vitamins in the water and food and she is trying to have it and she's like pretty shaky but she's practically sitting her butt down on the ground like I said.. I think it IS egg bound??

Rose.....get a large enough bowl of warm water.....not hot, and let her sit in this, it helps dilate the vent, and ease in the pain. Do this for at least 15 minutes. Then take her out keep her warm. Use a bit of honey in water for her drink, not cold water, but luke warm, this will boost her energy level and metabolism which will help push out the egg and make the vent muscles work faster. My wife here is an assistant vet, so I'm typing what she's telling me to do.

Rose, Don't hesitate to try that technic a couple times, like once an hour. Your bird sounds egg bound. One clear cut sign is the bird may not want to walk and prefers to want to lay on it's side as if struggling. She's trying to take the pressure off her bottom/vent/ stomach area...it's more comfy for her. Don't force her though.

Next don't give up on the warm water sit baths....hold her in both hands lowered in the water, warm but not hot, and massage very gently her vent area and the area up farther toward her stomach. Continue to offer her honey and warm water.
This is the best home remedy under the circumstances....You can't lose a bird on my watch !

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Hugs and prayers your way. Please try Hawk's recommendation.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

Rose, Don't hesitate to try that technic a couple times, like once an hour. Your bird sounds egg bound. One clear cut sign is the bird may not want to walk and prefers to want to lay on it's side as if struggling. She's trying to take the pressure off her bottom/vent/ stomach area...it's more comfy for her. Don't force her though.

Next don't give up on the warm water sit baths....hold her in both hands lowered in the water, warm but not hot, and massage very gently her vent area and the area up farther toward her stomach. Continue to offer her honey and warm water.
This is the best home remedy under the circumstances....You can't lose a bird on my watch !

I gave her another warm bath for 15 mins although I had to hold her up so she wouldn't drown. She's so weak and has no feeling in her legs :'( but I did that and I gave her honey in water through a dropper. She won't really eat tho. I dryed her and wrapped her into a little nest again with the blanket inside the box. She is wrapped up to keep warm and has access to food and water. It's late now and time for us both to rest.... I pray she makes it through the night...however I have seen no improvement with the egg bound issue :'( I thank you for all thoughts and prayers. I really do. I'm scared but I am preparing for the worst.... I'm extremely depressed.

Goodnight all. I shall update in the morning :(

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
My first thought upon waking up was about you and Cleo. I hope fervently that things are better today. Rooting for Cleo!!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Any news on Cleo? Waiting anxiously...

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I'm waiting for an uplate as well.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Well? How is she? I've been thinking of you guys!

Most Reactions

Latest posts