Help! Coffee makers?

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Can anyone vouch for a bird safe coffee maker? With no non-stick anything.

I share the house with a tenant who has one with a nonstick warming plate, and I need to figure out an alternative, but I don't drink coffee and didn't even realize warming plates were a thing until a couple days ago! So I've been unsure where to start.

Any info is much appreciated!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I recommend anyone and everyone who has any enjoyment of coffee at all, to use a Clever Dripper. They are very NOT expensive, and they are very easy to use. The coffee from a Clever Dripper is 1,000-times superior to any drip pot. 100% customizable for people who like complicated coffee, and yet more simple than any other method (except keurig).

However the only thing is, one does need to heat the water. I recently got myself an electric kettle. Before that I always microwaved my water, except in rare case of a power-outage, in which case I would heat water on stove.

Keurigs are great for dependable easy-coffee. If someone just wants easy dependable coffee, get a keurig. BUT if your tenant is not 100% onboard with use of k-cups, or is even marginally open to a Clever Dripper, that's the best option. :)

(I speak as someone who has been coffee-obsessed for decades, I own samples of huge variety of coffee-prepping options, and any that I don't own I have most probably test-tasted. )

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Thank you both so much! It's great to have a couple options to present.
And Jen, your musical budgies are ADORABLE!

aliced

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Blue Headed Macaw
I'd like to clarify one thing here - it's BPA
Why use BPA at all when there is so much controversy about its safety? The short answer is that Bisphenol A or BPA is needed to harden plastics.

In coffee makers, the inner parts like the water tank or the coffee filter basket are made of plastic. These parts are in direct contact with the hot water and the coffee you drink, which could be a cause for concern.

A couple of years ago, the FDA made an announcement about the health effects of Bisphenol A:
"There is “some concern” about developmental and reproductive problems in infants and children exposed to BPA." - US FDA.

You see, they specifically referred to infants and children.

But it led to a lot of controversial discussions among the experts on whether BPA is dangerous for adults too. The FDA has not, in any event, found any convincing evidence for BPA to be harmful to adults.

Still, many coffee manufacturers have started making BPA-free coffee makers.

In my opinion, even when the FDA assures us that BPA is not harmful, I think it is better to be safe than sorry!

So your decision to search for a BPA-free coffee maker is a very smart move!

Last edited by a moderator:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Hi AliceD,
BPA ingestion is definitely of concern to humans. --And likely, parrots too. But I don't think the OP (or anyone, hopefully!) was planning to feed coffee to their parrots.-- However, the actual concern in this older thread, was the Deadly Non-Stick coating on an exposed heating element.

Non-stick coatings off-gas chemicals into the air when heated, even at lower temps than manufacturers claim, which are well known to kill pet birds, randomly & even when used in rooms away from the birds.

For safety of pet birds, non-stick (aka teflon, PTFE, PFOA, and maybe some other abbrevs Im not sure of), should NEVER be used in a home with pet birds. This is what the OP was asking about.

Last edited:

Calculations

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
I have a budgie I've considered a teil in the future but it won't be anytime soon I'd like to gain more experience before I get any more birds.
Don't have your bird in the same room as the coffee maker and the room the bird is inside close the door and have ventilation when using anything kitchen-related. And your bird will be alright, I've never had a problem regarding these sorta things but I've got ventilation, and she's not in the same room. If you're super worried though there are coffee makers that you can get that you filter on your own there ones you can do by hand. i can ask and get back to you but i assume those would be okay.

Most Reactions

Latest posts