Help!! Constantly screeching Lovebird!! I can't take it anymore!!

fiftyshadesofgraevy

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
all grey "peach faced" lovebird
Hi. I adopted my lovebird Graevy at just a couple weeks old. I hand fed her bird formula and had her with me all the time. After a year or so she started to get hormonal, lay eggs and became overly aggressive. She was biting very painfully and so started spending more and more time in her cage as she wanted less and less to do with me. She's coming up to 4 years old now and the aggressiveness and biting hasn't improved at all. For the last 6 months or so she's also started constantly screeching at the top of her little birdie lungs. It's constant and so loud that no one in the house can hear themselves think. It's from sun up to sun down. My bf is so frustrated that he wants me to put her up for adoption but I'd prefer to solve the issue.
She's always been a solo bird who was initially bonded to me. I worry that she's screeching because she wants to be with me but then she just attacks me when I approach her. Does she need a second lovebird to bond with instead? I don't want to adopt another bird only to double to screeching in the house!
Please help! I want to make her happy but also improve my quality of life with her.

Attachments

• graevy2.jpg
    graevy2.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 118

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi. I adopted my lovebird Graevy at just a couple weeks old. I hand fed her bird formula and had her with me all the time. After a year or so she started to get hormonal, lay eggs and became overly aggressive. She was biting very painfully and so started spending more and more time in her cage as she wanted less and less to do with me. She's coming up to 4 years old now and the aggressiveness and biting hasn't improved at all. For the last 6 months or so she's also started constantly screeching at the top of her little birdie lungs. It's constant and so loud that no one in the house can hear themselves think. It's from sun up to sun down. My bf is so frustrated that he wants me to put her up for adoption but I'd prefer to solve the issue.
She's always been a solo bird who was initially bonded to me. I worry that she's screeching because she wants to be with me but then she just attacks me when I approach her. Does she need a second lovebird to bond with instead? I don't want to adopt another bird only to double to screeching in the house!
Please help! I want to make her happy but also improve my quality of life with her.
Does she get out of cage time? Like just to fly around the room? Have you tried training? Target training is a good 'hands off' way to train a bird that doesn't want to be touched. Tons of toys like foraging toys, are a good way to keep birds occupied.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Screeching is just something you have to deal with as a parront (parrot + parent). Parrots scream, especially lovebirds. Try spending more time with her, training her, and taking her new places to explore.

Also try bringing her outside in a cage, aviary or harness (NOT on your hand). I have an aviary for my budgies and have noticed that they scream less after being outside (plus it is very good for their feathers!). Being outside is really great for birds, I really suggest you try it.

Make sure she has enough toys and enrichment. Also make sure to ignore her when she screams. If you go over to her and try to calm her or feed her a treat, she will scream for attention. When she screams, don't put her in her cage, or she may start screaming in order to be put in her cage.

Here are some articles to help you:

And here is a video if you prefer:

ssgreen

Feb 11, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Bourk's Parakeet
Macaw

Janamos

Jun 16, 2022
Parrots
Love bird , yellow nape Amazon
❀️

Fanny

Jun 7, 2022
Media
Parrots
Ruby faced female lovebird, will be 2 soon. Recently had male lovebird of many years pass.
I would think about introducing a male lovebird into your home - btw, females are extremely chatty - (like us females). If she has a mate to interact with she will calm down. You may not be able to hold her again, but will build up trust. Also, remember that her cage is off limits - her territory - and she will protect it from intruders. I have found that if I hang a bell on the cage and ring it each time I want to enter the cage they will be less aggressive when feeding/replacing water. You also may want to get a leafy branch from a tree and place it near her cage, let her out and she will be quiet for hours as she removes the leaves and chews on the wood. The larger the better so she can perch on it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 5074E022-2CF5-47AD-9DDB-A3AE9E77755A.jpeg
    5074E022-2CF5-47AD-9DDB-A3AE9E77755A.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Fanny

Jun 7, 2022
Media
Parrots
Ruby faced female lovebird, will be 2 soon. Recently had male lovebird of many years pass.
Forgot - you and your family are part of her flock, not the other way around…

Most Reactions

Latest posts