Help Looking For Macaw Carier

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
so long story short my GW macaw comes to work daily (or used to). i had a small/medium sized dog cage with a perch attached that lived in the back of the car. someone stole my car cage and all. i'm using a cover car at the minute and might need to end up replacing my car but regardless, buying the old style cage will no longer fit (no real boot in cover car) and Lola is getting grumpy at home not coming to work (strange ay?)

could anybody recommend something that isn't so big and bulky that i could sit on the front seat of the car? i'm from the UK so that would be better but willing to import if possible i've been looking along these lines but struggling to find anything...

jkdwe5n.jpg

qOF9aYM.jpg

i think the standing up cage might be better as im not sure if the length from car seat to dash board would accommodate the horizontal cage, although if i could find somewhere that sold it i could get the measurements and check

thanks

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I bought one of those wire travel crates for dogs when we got Gus, thinking to save money. Boy, what a waste of money. It is heavy and he hates it. He tries to climb all over the inside of it even though it has a perch and the small wires hurt his feet. Then I learned that these cages can collapse in the event of a car crash, killing the animal or allowing it to escape. So I researched alternatives...most all the parrot rescues here use plastic dog crates. Read a million reviews. People said the enclosed crate made their birds feel more secure than in the wire ones. Finally ordered the Pet Navigator from chewy.com because of the excellent reviews. I ordered the extra large size so Gus would be comfortable, well, it was easy to put together, well made, sturdy enough for plane travel, and HUGE. I drove home with it in the back seat (I had to have it shipped to a different address and assembled it there) and I couldn't see out the rear window, the thing was so tall!

I agonized over it and called Chewy to see if I could pay a restocking fee and exchange it. The phone rep said no problem, we settled on the intermediate size (I hope that's not too big as well, the vet's assistant says she uses large size for macaws) which should be long enough to not crunch his tail and short enough to see over. She said, ok I've credited your card for the other cage. I said, no, wait until I send it back to you! She said not to send it back, to donate it to a shelter or rescue. They don't like to sell used items as new if they have been opened because people don't want to buy something that's been opened. They worry it was used and might harbor some disease or pest. They wouldn't even let me pay part. So I'll donate it and send them the receipt for a tax deduction, at least.

So, Pet Navigator, size that will fit your car, see if chewy.com will ship to your location, and let us know what you decide on...you might have to stand it on edge with a temporary liner until you have a back seat again..

https://www.chewy.com/petmate-navigator-plastic-kennel-x/dp/101560

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great advice from my Good Friend above.

I have used an Amazon sized dog/cat carrier of a like design for years and have put them through a couple of non-scheduled structure tests avoiding a collision in front of us! We can use the standard seat belt. With the larger carrier, you may need to use a 'Belt Extender.' We have always placed the door opening to the inside of the car and do not place anything that would block it. If you are alone in the car, place carrier on the passengers side so that your Parrot can see you and you the same.

Look for a clear plastic folder that you can tape to the bottom that will hold Ownership, Vet care documentation and contact information. We found them in the Big Box Office Supply store. When not in use, we pre-pack the carrier with a hand towel (you will likely need a bath towel) and our travel, Medical Emergency, First Aid Kit inside. Works wonders when you have to grab and go!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Oh! I just remembered - I bought a seat belt leash for a friend's dog before we left on a road trip. It has a clip in one end to attach to s harness and a tab on the other end that clicks into the seat belt. They cmon in a set of two and will be perfect for attaching the carrier. That way if can't chew the seat belt itself.

Most Reactions