Help me to identify this IRN gender please

Ray_x

Oct 7, 2023
Parrots
IRN
Hello everyone,
I own 2 IRN which I already had for over a year and around week ago i found one for sale which was in a very bad shape, extremely small cage and very bad diet so I decided to give it a better home , first day it was very aggressive but now it jumps to my shoulder most of the time
, the previous owner said its a male but with this color mutation i cant tell and there are no DNA testing places around my area
So can you please share an opinion

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpeg
    IMG_3239.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3238.jpeg
    IMG_3238.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 18

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I am going to guess, 5yo due to orange ring around eye, dark lower beak, and stocky, dark, and more scaly feet. The ring seems to be too faint to be male, and subtle, faded ring in mature bird indicates female. I'm guessing blue or cobalt, which I think typical male will have pronounced ring.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
I am going to guess, 5yo due to orange ring around eye, dark lower beak, and stocky, dark, and more scaly feet. The ring seems to be too faint to be male, and subtle, faded ring in mature bird indicates female. I'm guessing blue or cobalt, which I think typical male will have pronounced ring.
I agree! Like he said, the ring is too faint to be male, and she (guessing) seems to be a adult, so, the final conclusion is, that I thin she’s a female, though I don’t have personal experience with them, one of my dearest friend has a green male, 4yo and with a pretty ring!

smwboxer

May 31, 2020
San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
Do you know the age? I takes at least two years before males develop their rings.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hello everyone,
I own 2 IRN which I already had for over a year and around week ago i found one for sale which was in a very bad shape, extremely small cage and very bad diet so I decided to give it a better home , first day it was very aggressive but now it jumps to my shoulder most of the time
, the previous owner said its a male but with this color mutation i cant tell and there are no DNA testing places around my area
My IRN had the golden ring around her eye at 4 months, so I don't think that is an accurate way to tell age. I have heard from several people that their IRN didn't develop a ring until 3 to 4 years. Some color mutations will never have a ring.

I have been told the following but I don't know how true it is:
The female ringneck tends to have a stockier build and thicker feet than the male, though his tail is slightly longer. If your parrot's head looks more square in shape and the colors around his cheeks are bright, he's more likely to be a male. Her beak isn't as pronounced as his, and her face is more rounded.

Your parrot's behavior may betray his — or her — gender. Put your ringneck in front of a mirror and watch for a reaction. The male will take a bow, after opening his wings to a heart-shape, and his pupils will shrink in size as he puts on this show. The lady ringneck usually clucks and tilts her head back.

Attachments

• TiaSnow.jpg
    TiaSnow.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 10

Methughous

Jun 23, 2023
Islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
Green indian ring neck parrot
I was also confused about my IRN's gender, he developed a little red ring first (right about when he was a year and a half) ,and all the articles regarding the birds developing a ring mentioned that male birds get a ring and mostly the black appears first. My bird had this light red ring for a year before he developed his black ring. It started appearing after 2 and a half year, almost when he was 3. Now his red is also getting darked and the black is still not all the way through but most of it has appeared. He did get his black little feathers between his nostrils before the ring appeared.

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Hello everyone,
female

Most Reactions