Help my bird died bleeding from nose and mouth

roxy5325

Aug 23, 2020
I have 3 birds and 2 of them being a cockatiel and princess parrot who live in the same very large cage. I have had them for over 10 years with no problems they were happy and healthy and today I went to feed and check on them and my cockatiel has passed away with blood coming from her nose and eyes(already dead) and my princess parrot had blood coming from her nose. There was a man watching from outside my house who had recently threatened my dogs and I have a bad feeling that he may have poisoned them. They are well fed and get all right vitamins and there were absolutely no signs they were Ill previously. I will be taking my other bird to the vet ASAP but there is only one bird vet which is 2 hours away and booked out until tomorrow. The princess parrot seems still to be very active and is only bleeding from her nose. My other bird in a seperate cage further away from the fence did not have any bleeding or problems. Please help!

parrotman29

Mar 1, 2020
Skopje,North Macedonia
Parrots
Koki; Lovebird,
Ozzy: Lovebird
Dragan: Lovebird
Beba: Lovebird
Rocky; Indian ringneck
Benjamin; Pearl cockatiel R.I.P 23/11/2021
Donald: Heavy pied cockatiel
The man most likely poisoned your parrots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can you bring and keep the other birds inside?!?!?!??
This is terrible and so very scary! Can you report to he police??? Are you safe?
It very much seems like he sprayed them with something or poison like rat poison or something just awful!!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, it is very possible that he sprayed them with something or provided a dry pellet poison like rat poisoning. Rat Poisoning can respond much like you say.

Refrigerate both Parrots that have passed and take them to the Vet when you take you other Parrot in. In the meantime, lots of water and/or watery veggies will help. And as stated above, bring your other birds and animals in the house!

Unless you have proof of a poisoning i.e. one or all three Parrots have positive results from the Vet's testing you have little to claim against your neighbor.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
The most horrid and cruel form of death is to poison, I hope you can sort that b@%$^*! of a man out and give him the full force of the law

As Sailboat said, keep any birds that have passed in the freezer until they can get examined and tested for poisoning so you have some evidence in your case against him

Sorry for you loss, I hope you can give some payback to that person if he did it

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes fridge not freezer
We are heartbroken for you
And I agree with Noah on everything else
Horrors
Yiu need to keep yourself and all other burds and dogs safe.....
If he threatened you or is peeping in windows or stalking you let police know

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The most horrid and cruel form of death is to poison, I hope you can sort that b@%$^*! of a man out and give him the full force of the law

As Sailboat said, keep any birds that have passed in the freezer until they can get examined and tested for poisoning so you have some evidence in your case against him

Sorry for you loss, I hope you can give some payback to that person if he did it

No, please do not freeze as it will cause everything with the exception of the bones and feathers to breakdown when returned to above freezing...
Thanks good friends, I saw the freezing and Posted prior to reading everyones response!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for the loss of your cockatiel. I hope your princess parrot and other bird recover and remain well. Bleeding from the nose can be life threatening, particularly if you suspect poisoning. Most vets have "emergency" appointments if they triage the case accordingly.

I'd also gather evidence of this malevolent act and prosecute to the fullest extent if there is a case. You may have to push local authorities hard as many do not prioritize animal cruelty cases.

Jose42

Oct 27, 2018
Parrots
(F lutino cockatiel: Coco[deceased September 1, 2020])
(2 M green/yellow budgies: Shapiro & Spaghetti[deceased April 18, 2019])
(F white/blue budgie: Snowball[deceased March 16, 2020])
I have 3 birds and 2 of them being a cockatiel and princess parrot who live in the same very large cage. I have had them for over 10 years with no problems they were happy and healthy and today I went to feed and check on them and my cockatiel has passed away with blood coming from her nose and eyes(already dead) and my princess parrot had blood coming from her nose. There was a man watching from outside my house who had recently threatened my dogs and I have a bad feeling that he may have poisoned them. They are well fed and get all right vitamins and there were absolutely no signs they were Ill previously. I will be taking my other bird to the vet ASAP but there is only one bird vet which is 2 hours away and booked out until tomorrow. The princess parrot seems still to be very active and is only bleeding from her nose. My other bird in a seperate cage further away from the fence did not have any bleeding or problems. Please help!

That heartless bastard definitely did something.:mad: I'm sorry to hear this. It's heartbreaking news. I think it would be best to keep your birds inside.

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
I am so sorry you are going through this. What a horrific thing to go through! It does sound a lot like they came into contact with some type of poison. My husband has been talking about building an enclosure around our patio for our birds but I’m not sure if I’d feel safe with the way the city sprays unannounced for mosquitoes and things. Pesticides make me nervous with our animals already. After reading this I feel more strongly that we shouldn’t.

Having bad neighbors is a nightmare in itself but having this to worry about is even worse!

I agree with the others on seeking out help from a vet to find out that it was in fact poison. Even if you can not prove it was that particular neighbor(though it sounds to me like your right it had been). Do any of your other neighbors have security cameras or may have seen anything? It would be good to know what happened even if you can’t do anything to bring the two who passed away to keep your others safe including your dogs.

Again. I am sorry you are going through this.

Bluequaker2022

Sep 28, 2021
Parrots
Blue quaker
2 bidges
If someone did that to my birds I would quickly turn into their nightmare! Those kind of people don't need to be in society. I hope you can get to the bottom of this. Sorry for your loss.

Most Reactions