Help needed for a female Eclectus.

Pleasehelpme

Jul 7, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus
Hi, Iā€™m new to this whole thing so please help me out. :)
Just a few days ago I brought my 14 week old female eclectus. I was able to let her come out of her carrier on her own before transporting her into a cage my supplier provided. She is comfortable with me hand feeding her if the food is right in front of her. She was hand raised and ā€˜semi-tamedā€™. She is weaned. However if the food is just a bit out of her reach she will bite my finger quite hard. Because of this she has not stepped up once. She does squawk but hates me. Even if I have a treat in one hand and my other hand near her foot to step up, she just bites my hand near her foot. Even when I went to pick her up her owner could not get her out of her cage. Therefore, she was driven to my house later that day. She is more to the aggressive side. I Would really like to bond with her. Could someone please give me some tips on what I can do?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello and welcome! Okay, there's a lot here, so bear with me.

Let's start at the beginning. 14 weeks is still very young, and it's not uncommon for ekkies to take a little longer to fully wean, meaning by abundance, not by force. Force weaning is unfortunately common practice with breeders because it gets the "product" out faster. You might consider getting some baby bird formula and offering it several times a day until she completely refuses it. Maybe talk with a different breeder or an avian vet for help with learning how to hand feed. It's easy to do it wrong, and mistakes can be catastrophic. Formula in addition to her solid foods so she can make the choice. Here's a helpful link.

Hand raised and semi tame? I'm sorry, but that sounds a little suspect. To me, that would imply basically that they fed her by hand and little else. Don't worry, there's hope! Things to consider, it's only been a few days. Parrots don't accept change that fast. She's not a puppy or kitten that's content with any old attention.

Think of her like a human toddler. (that never grows up) Try to look at things from her perspective. Regardless of what conditions she's been in, it's all she knows. That was her whole world, and now it's been ripped away from her. Nothing is familiar. Surroundings, cage, flock mates, faces, sounds, smells, everything. She's not yet in a position to form an opinion about you. She doesn't hate you, I promise. She's TERRIFIED. (think lost toddler) Again, don't worry yet, it takes time. Sometimes a LOT of time, but it's totally worth it.
For a place to start:

I hope you'll keep us updated, and please feel free to ask questions. We're here to help in whatever way we can. Also, if you'd like to share, we love pictures!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)

Let's start at the beginning. 14 weeks is still very young, and it's not uncommon for ekkies to take a little longer to fully wean, meaning by abundance, not by force. Force weaning is unfortunately common practice with breeders because it gets the "product" out faster. You might consider getting some baby bird formula and offering it several times a day until she completely refuses it. Maybe talk with a different breeder or an avian vet for help with learning how to hand feed. It's easy to do it wrong, and mistakes can be catastrophic. Formula in addition to her solid foods so she can make the choice. Here's a helpful link.

Hand raised and semi tame? I'm sorry, but that sounds a little suspect. To me, that would imply basically that they fed her by hand and little else. Don't worry, there's hope! Things to consider, it's only been a few days. Parrots don't accept change that fast. She's not a puppy or kitten that's content with any old attention.

Think of her like a human toddler. (that never grows up) Try to look at things from her perspective. Regardless of what conditions she's been in, it's all she knows. That was her whole world, and now it's been ripped away from her. Nothing is familiar. Surroundings, cage, flock mates, faces, sounds, smells, everything. She's not yet in a position to form an opinion about you. She doesn't hate you, I promise. She's TERRIFIED. (think lost toddler) Again, don't worry yet, it takes time. Sometimes a LOT of time, but it's totally worth it.
For a place to start:

I hope you'll keep us updated, and please feel free to ask questions. We're here to help in whatever way we can. Also, if you'd like to share, we love pictures!
You must have a lot of experience with baby parrots. Great advice! I've always wondered myself if parrots are being weaned too soon, and if breeders are just bulking up the babys to turn them over quicker. More $$$ for sure, but not exactly healthy for that baby parrot. The pet store that I bought my conure from told me she was on a pellet diet. I took her home, and she refused to eat any pellets. She was screaming bloody murder all day long. She wouldn't go near them. However she sure did know how to eat sunflower seeds, and put them down with the best of them. I didn't want her to die so I did the wrong thing, and gave her seed mix diet. I converted her to pellets a few years ago, and now only offer seeds as treats.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
You must have a lot of experience with baby parrots. Great advice! I've always wondered myself if parrots are being weaned too soon, and if breeders are just bulking up the babys to turn them over quicker. More $$$ for sure, but not exactly healthy for that baby parrot. The pet store that I bought my conure from told me she was on a pellet diet. I took her home, and she refused to eat any pellets. She was screaming bloody murder all day long. She wouldn't go near them. However she sure did know how to eat sunflower seeds, and put them down with the best of them. I didn't want her to die so I did the wrong thing, and gave her seed mix diet. I converted her to pellets a few years ago, and now only offer seeds as treats.
Thanks, but I honestly don't have experience with baby birds. I've always been much more comfortable working with known behaviors of an established adult than moulding behaviors of a new baby and hoping I got it right. I've learned a lot though, and we've had countless members here going through exactly this situation. I'm just happy to help point folks in the right direction when I can.

With your conure, you didn't do "the wrong thing." You did exactly right. The old addage "he'll eat it if he gets hungry enough" does not apply to parrots. They will in fact starve themselves to death if they don't have something they choose to eat.

OP
P

Pleasehelpme

Jul 7, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus

For a place to start:

Hi here is a little update
She will step up beak first in her own. Iā€™m going to pick up some formula tomorrow to see if she would eat it. I have noticed she hates skin. She will nibble on skin until it bleeds. She will climb up my shoulder her self and bite my lip or my ear till blood shed. She does not step up unless I am wearing long sleeves and covering my hand. I do not want to keep her in her cage but I donā€™t know what to do.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I bet if youā€™re feeding her formula, she will decide you are MOM and love you to bits.

Itā€™s not so good that sheā€™s not weaned, but it will give you a chance to make friends with her, with a gift of warm gloppy food to pave the way.

I hope this turns around and I think it willšŸ˜Š

May 28, 2022
Parrots
Blue Male Quaker
Female Eclectus
Patience, patience, patience.

The good news is young birds are impressionable.

She's still learning the difference between you and the previous care giver. You are her parent, not a breeder, it will take some time.

Remaining calm through your interactions, and not reacting with high energy to behaviors you would like to discourage, are the easiest ways to build healthy interactions, trust and rapport.

Remember, if you react with high energy to behaviors you don't like, it teaches the bird to repeat those behaviors to get a reaction.

Lolakay

Sep 21, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Female
I just adopted a baby Eclectus female this year and she tried to bite me (lunging) only for one day ONLY. They are very social creatures so sitting close and talking sweetly for hours is always a winner. Yes -donā€™t be afraid -they know when they bite it hurts so let out a squeak if she bites you! Let her know it hurts without over reacting. I would put a piece of banana right where my baby bird would try to bite me -and she was surprised to find a delicious treat in her mouth instead! They love bananas! keep in mind she will bounce all over the place when you start giving her formula with the head bobbing! Itā€™s hard to make it in the mouth but itā€™s good to feed formula along with other foods Whlie she is still young. itā€™s all about good food and good conversation. My baby girl kisses my lips all day long and she has never bit me one time since. Be patient and let her explore your skin. She does not know what it is and sheā€™s never seen it before. If she pinches you let out a squeal. And then talk to her gently or give her tiny pieces of banana while you talk to her. The more you handle her the better. I just put my baby bird right on me and she was shocked at my skin as well. She got over it real quick and loves to lay with me and is always in my face pulling on my ears gently Exploring my face. They say not to do that as one day they may bite. I find that she is so gentle and will stop if I squeak. I find itā€™s very good for our relationship and she is very close to me. All birds are different in personality and temperament And not everyone should do that. My Eclectus loves kisses on her beak and was talking before 4 months old. I talk to her often! Females also tend to be protective of their cage and she will always get uptight if you mess with her cage in anyway. Always take her out of the cage if you want to talk with her and be good friends. Donā€™t try to put your hand in the cage and make friends. they are naturally territorial. My baby will let me put my hands in but sheā€™s on edge and she will grab my finger but she does not bite. Most will bite if you donā€™t spend a lot of time with them And then try to mess around with their cage. Be patient spend lots of time talking and holding her.

Last edited:

Lolakay

Sep 21, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Female
Expect a mess lol

Attachments

• 81F2BB8A-C4F7-4C02-BE4B-44175FC89311.jpeg
    81F2BB8A-C4F7-4C02-BE4B-44175FC89311.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 13F59E27-D225-4797-ACFD-93DBFC3A0B0A.jpeg
    13F59E27-D225-4797-ACFD-93DBFC3A0B0A.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 43

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
So I got my boy at 13 weeks, he has a very large cage so we didnā€™t really let him out for the first week. He would growl and raise his hackles at us If we did ask for a step up. But he would take food through the bars. Pieces of apple. On day 5 I came in and he rushed to sit by me to spend time, on the other side of the cage. A bond had started. He also would bite ears hard. So he wasnā€™t allowed on a shoulder for a week afterwards. its now 7 months Iā€™ve had him and he just wants To spend time with me now. He still bites sometimes, but I usually know when itā€™s coming and why. It takes time to learn what they will allow and for them to learn you, if she bites you when the food is out of reach, raise it up, so youre ā€˜liftingā€˜ the beak up away from Your other hand, itā€™s the same for a step up, hold the treat up high, not out of reach.. but so she has to reach up to get it, & not flat across your hand. take it slow, always set yourself & birdie up for a win, never a fail. Give lots of praise & reward every time. you will get There together.
attached is my boy having a stretch waiting patiently for dinner.

Attachments

• B069FD96-8A72-4662-BD3C-D964D4AC4626.jpeg
    B069FD96-8A72-4662-BD3C-D964D4AC4626.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts