What is the best way?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It may be a good idea to take your too to an avian vet to make sure that the plucking is not medical related before trying to deal with it from a behavioral standpoint.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sounds like your bird plucks similar to my bird (mine plucks her back underneath her wings, and her under-wings, as well as her legs). Definitely get her vet checked, my galah had organ failure and a severe calcium deficiency. Now that she's healthy she plucks less and her bald back has a few new feathers.

What is your parrots diet? Large parrots and cockatoos shouldn't get any seed in their diet, she should be eating lots of dark leafy greens (collard greens, spinach, broccoli, dandelion leaves) squashes, peppers, and much more. The occasional nut(no peanuts, use unsalted almonds, pecans, pistachios) is also fine. Cooked Grains are also a important part of their diet, my favorite is quinoa but I also feed barley.
Probably one of the most important parts of this diet is pellets, use a high quality pellet like Totally Organic pellets or Harrison's Pellets(I fed both). Pellets are the back up plan to the above foods, they fill in the gaps of missing nutrients and should be the staple diet. Feeding 50% pellets and 50% fresh/prepared foods is the best.

carol27

Dec 21, 2012
Media
Albums
San Francisco Bay Area
Parrots
1 Citron Cockatoo
:white1: My 20 year old citron cockatoo has begun to pullout a few feathers under his beak. The last two years I was finishing a B.A. and so I wasn't at home or available as much and I think that is why it started. It has now been 9 months but I haven't been able to stop him from doing it, although I don't think he has progressed any farther. For the last 10 years I've worked at home so I think he has become dependent on me being there.

I've finally got him on a Pelleted diet (so far Roundy Bush is the only one he'll eat) with almonds, chicken bones and fruit. The greens I still have to increase as they are more of a treat than a staple.

I've heard they can become addicted to the liquid at the base of new feathers. Is there anyway to break that habit?

Unfortunately he hates bath time (a spray mist over head) which is very frustrating since most of what I've read say's they should love it. He seems to be molting with pin feathers all the time. :confused:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you tried other methods of bathing? Such as in the shower? The tub? The sink? In a large, shallow dish? Dish with ice? Dish with foot toys? Dish with vacuum running? Etc?

I would suggest to teach him to forage and teach him new behaviors that are incompatible with plucking. Some simple prop tricks may be great fun for the both of you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts