Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leisa1

Oct 6, 2012
Missouri
Parrots
Norman 2 (quaker) Ozzy 4(cockatiel)
I just obtained my 2yr old quaker Norman two days ago. He is starting to warm up a little. He has this nasty habit of getting on my shoulder grabbing a hold of mine or my son's hair and sometimes scalp and then banging his head very rapidly against our head. This usuall ends up in him biting our ear or our face. Is there a reason for the had banging and biting.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Birds have nerve endings in their beaks and like to feel different textures and surfaces. Them tapping their beak is like us tapping our finger on a table.

I would recommend not letting Norman on your shoulder at this time especially if he is biting your ears/face.

Sometimes birds who like ear rings will wind up biting on ears because they don't know where the ear ring stops and the ear begins. It is likely the same with him preening your hair and then biting your scalp. It sounds like he is not yet able to tell the difference from your hair and scalp. Regardless, I would not let him on your shoulder at this time but he will learn, just be patient.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
First off congrats on your new baby! The first thing I would say is not to allow any shoulder time. I would never allow a new bird to be on my shoulder! Remember, it is better to not have the bad behavior occur than to try and "fix" the problem after it happens. I have always lived with the rule that "shoulder" time needs to be earned, I feel that this takes ALOT of time before you can risk having a bird on your shoulder. My cag Dorothy is allowed on my shoulder because in over a year she has never done anything that would lead me to think she would hurt me. However, always remember that even if a bird is trustworthy there will always be a chance you can get hurt.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i agree. dont let him on your shoulders. i just got my quaker of friday and he isnt alowed on shoulders. this just prevents this from happening in aht efirst place rather than tring to fix it

OP
L

leisa1

Oct 6, 2012
Missouri
Parrots
Norman 2 (quaker) Ozzy 4(cockatiel)
Thank you so much for the advice. we just got back from getting our wings clippped and he seems to be more relaxed just from that. I am such a newbie and actually love him so much already I want the absolute best for him. I believe he can be a real sweetheart. I was told that he acted like he didnt receive much interaction before. But will definiteley be patient with him and loving him.

Most Reactions