He's avoiding the entirety of his cage. . .

Oh, that is great... one toy at the time is fine. That will keep him busy for many, many months.

LOL one day his brain will just 'change gears' and start to work like a true parrot-brain ... and you will be working so hard to keep him entertained!

Brand of marbles...
I have no idea- here they just use the ones you buy in the shops for children.
When they are rolling around in a foodbowl there is almost no chance to chip - that usually happens from falling on the (stone) floor, not from rubbing up against each other.

In regards to target training, I don't think he would enjoy it simply because mobility is a huge issue for him, and he may get frustrated before finding enjoyment. He's very reluctant to move from anywhere, even if there's food. It's one of the reasons I've been so high-strung lately because I know it's not healthy for him to just sit there day in and day out.

Uhuh, I know.

If he was a dog or cat I would suggest swimtraining, but unless he is an exceptional parrot, most of them do not enjoy getting *that* wet.

You have no succes with letting him flap a bit?
(that is some serious workout, esp if he hasn't used those wings in years, so be carefull?)

Targettraining...just asking him to touch a targetstick is a wonderfull start.
Not moving anything but his head...but engaging the brain!
training is not all about mobility, it is about focus and working/playing together
Just making him stretch his neck in different directions gives his central nervesystem a boost ;)

even a footmassage or just moving a tail gives so many impulses!

"waking up the upstairs parrot" = any positive stimulation is a good thing - it does not have to be big or even medium; very small babysteps are just fine!

Last edited:
When he does flap, he starts panting, and because his balance is off, I have to hold him under the wing on either side. After about five or six flaps, he's panting, so I try not to overdo it.
It's very tricky trying to figure out creative ways to make life a little easier for him. Especially when there's no one to help you.

Phyllis Martin and Kim Walde - from the Faunalink Foundation located in Plant City, Florida - are in contact with ornithologists in Madagascar who are working on having the Greater Vasa Parrot reclassified. They feel that the Vasa Parrot actually requires meat in their diet and are, therefore, being thought of as the genetic link between parrots and raptors; and that the Vasa Parrot - unlike other parrots -- hunt in the wild.

Breeders / Aviculturists:

Florida: Phyllis Martin - Faunalink Foundation, Plant City, FL
Maybe you can contact this breeder in Florida for more information and help

Wow Lauresea! Great idea :)
-

Uhuh, flapping is such hard work for an (untrained) bird.
I feel you - trying to get Sunny to take some flaps is like trying to teach a dog astrophysics (most days anyway)

The "manual" said to do this 3x a day (building up the flap-stamina) I do not think I will have any fingers left if I tried that.
-

Not sure how "chill" Java is, but I was thinking in the direction of a sling maybe?

Not just as a way of carying him around to new places (instead of stuck on your shirt/ sweater) - I read about a few people who had a parrot with a broken leg that got around that way (because he could not perch with a huge cast) and sling might feel safer so he gets to enjoy being in differents spots a bit easier.

Also, like they do with dogs/cats/ferrets etc. to help support a bit of the bodyweight, while you train up the affected limbs .

Not sure how to make him a harness he cang hang/rest in and that would stll leave room for wingflaps-- maybe someone more clever than I am...
(I was thinking like those bouncy-contraptions they have for small children, springs might take a bit of the weight and invite him to use his leg more)

(If I am going overboard with this - just kick me ;) )

I'm actually in the process of getting him a prosthetic in January. It'll be a 3-hour drive one way and a few nights in a hotel, but if it means restoring some of his balance, then it's worth the trek. I'm hoping he'll take to it since he's so passive, but he's also an avid chewer.

I know- I am so excited you are going to give him a go at having a new leg. :heart:

But the better shape he (and his remaining semi-functional one) is the better are his chances of it being succesfull.

I know- I am so excited you are going to give him a go at having a new leg. :heart:

But the better shape he (and his remaining semi-functional one) is the better are his chances of it being succesfull.
I agree. I could probably use a ferret hammock as a sling. I think he would appreciate taking some of the weight off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back