Hi, new member of spoiled Conure

Love_Fern

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2014
Georgia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
My daughter wanted a bird. We fell in love with a green cheek conure and named her Fern. Little did I know my life would revolve around a bird! She is so sweet though. I think we created a monster: she sleeps in bed with us in a basket in a fuzzy hood off a coat and I have to basically hold her ( like rocking a baby) until she falls asleep then place her in her basket on our bed. She wakes us in the morning by crawling out and snuggling with us. She then goes to her tree area we made her from branches( see below). I know, I know..crazy

Attachments

• photo 2-1.jpg
    photo 2-1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 124
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 118
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 108
Hello and welcome!
Fern is adorable, and she has a fantastic play area!
Sounds like you are completely smitten:)

Hello, very nice play area!

Thank you! It just sort of grew over time..one branch tied together at a time. The cage has never been used except to hold her dishes. I know I should have gotten her used to one..there is no way now.

I was wondering if I should get her a friend? Do you all have one bird or two or more? I was thinking she would be happier when I am not there. Right now, when I leave, she flies to the 2nd floor and waits by my bedroom door. I guess she thinks I may be up there.

If you want a second bird you should get one, but you shouldn't get one for her because there's no way to know if she's going to like the new bird or not.

If you want a second bird you should get one, but you shouldn't get one for her because there's no way to know if she's going to like the new bird or not.

uh-oh, that would be the reason, to keep her company.

Wow, I thought MY GCCs were spoiled! lol, I love it, Fern is a very lucky little bird! Isn't it amazing how they get under our skin? I had no idea I was a crazy bird lady waiting to happen, until I got Fiji.

I noticed that when we got a 2nd GCC(for the same reason you are thinking of getting another one) Fiji seemed to pull away from us a little. She is still a Velcro bird, but not AS MUCH as she used to be. She got a little more independent, and is happy now to just hang out with Sundance. It seems like she became more a "bird" than a person. I'm torn about the whole thing. Im glad she has a little friend to keep her company now, but I miss how she used to be with us! I love Sundance, but I never got the bond with him that I had with Fiji when she was the only bird.

Maybe if you have Fern for a good year, THEN get another one? That way your bond with her will be really strong.

Good luck with your decision!

I totally understand that you are torn. You never get 1:1 with second, same as with real children. The first is the only one that gets undivided attention! Even though I know I will miss her "velcro-ness" lol, I also want to think about her happiness because right now, I feel guilty when I leave her only a few hours. I always find her at my bedroom door when I get back and I know it is because she is lonely.

In April, I will have had her a year and that is the time when you can find babies so I am really leaning toward it. I am not so sure though about sleeping with both in my bed! haha.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back