Hi!

jcharbula

Nov 3, 2017
Media
South Texas
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum. I have one timneh Grey his name is Smokey. I have had him since he was a baby and he is now almost 5 years old! Wow I can't believe it's been that long already. He is my baby and we love each other very much.
I'm looking to learn all I can about my baby so he and I can have the best mutual relationship.
Recently Smokey has begun some behaviours that I'd like to correct. I think he is bored even though he has several toys in and around his cage.
Smokey has just began flying from his cage to my shoulder no matter where I am in the house. I don't mind this so much but now it has gotten to the point that he doesn't ever just perch on top of his cage like he use to. So, I've got to either have him right with me or put him in his cage which usually leads to some loud calls in his displeasure.

Should I trim his wings? I kinked of hate to do that because I think his ability to fly is his right??

Also he has recently started biting me somewhat hard at times. It's a tight pinch on my hand which usually draws blood. I've been reading the posts on here about biting and will pay closer attention to try and pinpoint what's causing it.

One more question I have, I have been considering getting him a mate. I don't want to mess up what we have and I've read that it shouldn't. On the other hand I want to make sure I am giving him all that he deserves as a caged Bird and I read somewhere that in the wild they mate for life. How sad to not give him that also??
I so look forward to hearing your responses And I'm so glad I have found this forum to learn and share!

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Hi. For the flight and biting, I address the same way. When the flight is excessive and I am asking him to stay, if he doesn't I'll give him a brief "timeout" just by moving his stand into the hallway out of sight for a minute or two. He has been picking up on this. Like you, I would like him to be able to fly, but also know he has to be independent for short periods of time.
For the biting, I do the same, a couple of minutes "removed from the flock"
I like moving the stand that he uses frequently so he doesn't associate his cage with negativity.

In terms of the mate. Yes it can surely cause your relationship to change. You should only get another bird if it is 100% for you. There is no guarantee they would get along, especially since he hasn't been with other birds for 5 years. You are his "partner" in life so to speak.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Stay tuned... lots of people here to help, advise, support!
I only know about badly-behaved Patagonian Conures!

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Welcome to the forum. Several members here have greys that can help more. Timnehs are great birds. They live a long life and for that reason is with you but as far as getting another bird only if entirely for you and not just to keep him out of boredom. Greys are very intelligent and he probably just needs things changed up a bit in small ways.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you and Smokey! Greys are highly sensitive, intelligent, and respond best to consistent guidance.

He is clearly bonded to you, some might say "overbonded." While we love our parrots dearly, it is helpful to teach them to self-entertain and enjoy time alone. Easier said than done!

Have you rotated his toys? Some will tire of the same clusters of wood/plastic and enjoy change. Having a stash will permit periodic variety. OTOH, some birds don't like changes to their cage, so take it slowly.

Have you tried Bite Pressure Training? http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

Clipping wings is one of the most debated topics! In your situation I'd try most everything first as long as Smokey's flying is "safe" and does not endanger himself physically or from an ability to escape. Some advocate a one-time trim to reduce their aggressiveness.

There is no guarantee a bird will ever accept another as friend or mate. You may also find Smokey "abandons" you in favor of a more dominant interest.

Many of your concerns are highly judgmental, stay tuned for a variety of advice!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Clipping is a personal decision. If your bird is in a safe environment, (curtains on windows, no ceiling fans etc.), and if he's an ok flier, without any risk of getting away from you, then I would let him fly. If there is a risk, there is nothing wrong with clipping. It's at the owners discretion. I always think the owner can make the best choice on that topic.

As for bites I recommend the time out method....when a bird bites put him on the floor about 15 ft away or so and make him walk back to you. He will figure out he's being "shunned" for the bite and that it is unacceptable behavior. Generally they come back all sweet and apologize. Then once that's conquered he can nibble with bite pressure training.

Getting a bird a mate is also well that's an even bigger decision.....I often think of getting clark not a mate but a playmate....but we are so bonded and "best buds" I don't want to change that, and I don't even know if it would change, but for now I can provide plenty of activity time so....I'm not rushing into it.

OP
jcharbula

jcharbula

Nov 3, 2017
Media
South Texas
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Thanks everyone! I've already put some of your suggestions to practice. I like the idea of placing him on the floor to walk back to me. I was debating on where "time out" should occur not wanting to put a negative reaction to his cage or favorite perches.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
report back on the time out method, for some it takes less than a day for some a couple days, but it seems to be super effective with 1) birds that are already bonded and want to return. 2) no other animals in the house.

OP
jcharbula

jcharbula

Nov 3, 2017
Media
South Texas
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
I tried placing him on the floor, I do have two dogs but they don't bother him and he's not afraid of them. Of course, I never trust them alone. But, as soon as I place him on the floor, he flies back to my shoulder. Does that count, lol?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
only if he behaves :p

my conure was flighted and would do the same. At first he came back and carried on being naughty, once he learnt he started apologizing to me. The trick I found for when they fly back immediately and continue is to not even react, just pick em up, on the floor repeat until behaving themselves

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
please dont trim his wings, a birds gift is flight, please dont take that from him. My CAG will shoulder surf all of the time as I (her flock) move around the house but once she knows im staying in or around the room for a while she while entertain herself by exploring or just sitting on her mobile stands i have on window ledges etc.

Most Reactions