Hick Up's Help

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Are you sure she's not vocalizing? Do you have a video you can upload? Is she bobbing and making funny noises to you? Because she might be showing her affection by trying to regurgitate for you.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Well ?........good question?

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I didn't get a video, but she was making a funny noise I have never heard her make and almost fell off her perch a couple times. She kept putting her head down and then her chest would "heave" and a funny noise would come out. All of her neck feathers were "ruffled" up, but not her wing, back or chest feathers.

I wasn't in the room at first, I was in my office about 4 feet away and out of sight, but Simon (one of my cats) was sitting about 2 feet from the cage watching her. She is fascinated with him and he with her (not in a "I want to hurt you way" more of a "maybe we can be friends" way) Maybe she wanted to feed him?

The whole episode only lasted about 10 or 15 minutes and she just quit and started eating, and has been "normal" ever since.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you for explaining it, Amanda. :)

Birds do not get hiccups because they lack a diaphragm and vocal chords.

So it's quite possible that Zilla was trying to regurgitate for Simon, or she was just mimicking some other sounds that resemble the 'hiccup'. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I agree with Wendy. Sounds like Zilla was regurgitating. Some birds can also make funny little noises when they regurgitate, like an extra expression of their affection:rolleyes: Kinda gross, but totally normal!

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Thank you for explaining it, Amanda. :)

Birds do not get hiccups because they lack a diaphragm and vocal chords.

So it's quite possible that Zilla was trying to regurgitate for Simon, or she was just mimicking some other sounds that resemble the 'hiccup'. :)

Awesome! Now I have a bird that is in love with a cat!!! :eek:

Thank you for the help, it kind of freaked me out! :)

I will be watching them to see if it happens again! :54:

Most Reactions

Latest posts