How do I keep my room cool?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So, I have birds, obviously. And my Kaiju of a tiel (Rico) likes my room to be 75Ā°F (23C). I keep it that way but I keep my desk fan on and angle it so it only blows on me as I donā€™t do too hot in warmer temperatures. it never blows on him unless Iā€™m trimming his nails as he overheats easily during this. Well, my room must have climbed to around 80Ā°F (26c) this morning despite my window being open. Well, cricket (my teeny tiny budgie) overheated a few minutes after I uncovered her cage and she was panting and kept her wings away from her. I angled my fan up so itā€™d blow on her, I shut my heater vent and opened my window. She is doing better now, but how do I prevent this without freezing Rico? Is there a way to get him used to colder temperatures? And is there a way for me to notice this much faster instead of having to let my budgie cook like a rotisserie to notice? Sheā€™s doing much better now ofc but still, this was a scary experience for me!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So, I have birds, obviously. And my Kaiju of a tiel (Rico) likes my room to be 75Ā°F (23C). I keep it that way but I keep my desk fan on and angle it so it only blows on me as I donā€™t do too hot in warmer temperatures. it never blows on him unless Iā€™m trimming his nails as he overheats easily during this. Well, my room must have climbed to around 80Ā°F (26c) this morning despite my window being open. Well, cricket (my teeny tiny budgie) overheated a few minutes after I uncovered her cage and she was panting and kept her wings away from her. I angled my fan up so itā€™d blow on her, I shut my heater vent and opened my window. She is doing better now, but how do I prevent this without freezing Rico? Is there a way to get him used to colder temperatures? And is there a way for me to notice this much faster instead of having to let my budgie cook like a rotisserie to notice? Sheā€™s doing much better now ofc but still, this was a scary experience for me!
Any temperature between 68 and 85 should be comfortable (meaning not dangerous) for both your birbies. If Cricket likes it cooler, direct the fan toward her and/or spray her with a misting bottle or give her access to a birdie bath to cool off.
Rico has a full suit of nice warm feathers. I can't imagine Rico getting cold if the temperature is okay for us- we (most of us anyway) don't have a suit of feathers!
Personally, I think you worry too much when things are just fine. Think about the harsh Australian climate Cockatiels and Budgies come from and RELAX!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Any temperature between 68 and 85 should be comfortable (meaning not dangerous) for both your birbies. If Cricket likes it cooler, direct the fan toward her and/or spray her with a misting bottle or give her access to a birdie bath to cool off.
Rico has a full suit of nice warm feathers. I can't imagine Rico getting cold if the temperature is okay for us- we (most of us anyway) don't have a suit of feathers!
Personally, I think you worry too much when things are just fine. Think about the harsh Australian climate Cockatiels and Budgies come from and RELAX!
I do suppose you are right. In Australia they can survive temps up to 100Ā°+ and nights of 35Ā°F. And Rico does have essentially a wearable blanket on him. It couldnā€™t hurt to drop my temps a few degrees. Crickbread has a bath available to her at all times but I lost my spray bottle which really sucks since Ricoā€™s baths are now back in the Stone Age where I have to flick water onto him. I could keep my window open at night to prevent hyperthermia and keep the back of crickets cage uncovered for better ventilation.

You are probably right about that lol I should probably take a chill pill and relax from time to time. But itā€™s always better to be safe than sorry!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I do suppose you are right. In Australia they can survive temps up to 100Ā°+ and nights of 35Ā°F. And Rico does have essentially a wearable blanket on him. It couldnā€™t hurt to drop my temps a few degrees. Crickbread has a bath available to her at all times but I lost my spray bottle which really sucks since Ricoā€™s baths are now back in the Stone Age where I have to flick water onto him. I could keep my window open at night to prevent hyperthermia and keep the back of crickets cage uncovered for better ventilation.

You are probably right about that lol I should probably take a chill pill and relax from time to time. But itā€™s always better to be safe than sorry!
How did you lose your spray bottle? You can buy one at Lowes for about $4

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
How did you lose your spray bottle? You can buy one at Lowes for about $4
I set it somewhere and just never saw it again šŸ’€

Loweā€™s is out in the heart of town (30 minutes away) and we are on the outskirts. I do think I could snag one from three bears for the same price, maybe a little more. Iā€™ll have to use my allowance to get one though. But it should be next week!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Not to contradict Donna, but I feel that giving a bath or shower to a parrot and then directing a fan on it is asking for a problem. My opinion, and its worth exactly what you paid for it.

I also found it slightly funny that someone in Alaska is having a problem with things being too hot. I resisted the impulse to make a funny at the expense of Rico and Cricket !

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Not to contradict Donna, but I feel that giving a bath or shower to a parrot and then directing a fan on it is asking for a problem. My opinion, and its worth exactly what you paid for it.

I also found it slightly funny that someone in Alaska is having a problem with things being too hot. I resisted the impulse to make a funny at the expense of Rico and Cricket !
I donā€™t think she suggested a bath with the fan on, although things like that would 100% fly over my head so I could have just not detected that. I would not bathe my birds with the desk fan pointed at them since I know the risks (hypothermia, stress-weakened immune system, stress, etc.) and I would do that.

Yes, this post and situation as a whole is fairly ironic. But my mom insists on keeping the thermostat up to 73Ā°F in the middle of summer and keeping the window open and the vent shut hardly does much during the day. Even at night it doesnā€™t do a whole lot since the house is always SCORCHING hot, especially since we have a back wall that is essentially a giant window.

In the winter this wouldnā€™t be an issue since itā€™s so cold out, but in the summer? No chill. Quite literally. The avg Alaskan house doesnā€™t have AC, just heaters. Want to be chilled? Too bad so sad, install a fan or burn.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Did I say to give a bath and then put a fan on them? If so, I didn't mean that. I meant either the fan or the bath etc. Fan on a wet bird would be too chilly!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I am not sure how a 3Ā°C difference caused Cricket to overheat? 26Ā° is a pleasant day for my lot, the heat only seem to start affect them in the higher 30s.
Yes, they live through intense temperatures here in their native home but a lot has to do with being acclimated to local temps. Sudden major temperature shifts can be deadly even if that temp is a temp they would be content to live in.
I think you could easily acclimate Cricket to be happy with the higher temp or Rico to be happy in a lower temp.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I am not sure how a 3Ā°C difference caused Cricket to overheat? 26Ā° is a pleasant day for my lot, the heat only seem to start affect them in the higher 30s.
Yes, they live through intense temperatures here in their native home but a lot has to do with being acclimated to local temps. Sudden major temperature shifts can be deadly even if that temp is a temp they would be content to live in.
I think you could easily acclimate Cricket to be happy with the higher temp or Rico to be happy in a lower temp.
I donā€™t even know either! Although lately my mom has been turning up the thermostat to 74Ā° or 75Ā°F (23Ā°c) and my room climbs up to 80Ā° (26C) while the rest of the house is at 78F (25C) or so. My room is in the sun for a majority of the day too. Cricket even overheated yesterday! Window open and vent closed! I do think acclimating Rico to lower temperatures would be better in the long run. Especially with the frequent winter power outages that are to come once summer is over.

Most Reactions

Latest posts