How many sips?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
My conure ALWAYS takes exactly 4 sips when she drinks, I offer her water very often, and it's either 4 sips or nothing. I wonder if its a conure thing, or a parrot thing (like being left handed). So, has anyone noticed their fids taking the same amount of sips? Always the same? Is it 4? If not, how many sips?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Lol I believe chili does only THREE sips at a time hahaha at least that's what I've seen when I do see her drink. Except the other day she was drinking out of the stream of water as I was pouring it- guess she wanted a new sipping experience lol

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Not here! When I refresh Charlie's water and give him cold water out of the fridge he drinks and drinks and drinks... you'd think he didn't *have* any water to begin with! :rolleyes: I think he just has a preference for cold water! lol

Jayde doesn't seem to drink nearly as much as he does, since she spends more time eating anyway... :p

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Rosie makes soup with her water, she likes to dip all her food. I am really not sure how many sips from her dish. :)

She does love water right from my kitchen faucet. She will drink quite a bit while announcing "water" in between drinks. Although it sounds more like awwwtaaaa in Rosie speak. :)

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
Rosie makes soup with her water, she likes to dip all her food. I am really not sure how many sips from her dish. :)

She does love water right from my kitchen faucet. She will drink quite a bit while announcing "water" in between drinks. Although it sounds more like awwwtaaaa in Rosie speak. :)

Your post actually made me laugh out loud! I would love to teach Felix to say 'water' between sips....

Felix loves to play in water.... He must drink whilst playing in his water dish cuz I rarely see him at it unless his entire body is submerged.....

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Percy is also an avid soup maker and I'm sure he gets in a lot of water during his culinary endeavours. I've never seen him at his bowl, just sipping water.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Wow, Nika drinks a lot! Boomer rarely drinks, but when he does, it's 1 or 2 sips. Usually after he ate something dry like pellets or nuts. He eats a lot of veggie and fruits so that's probably where he gets his h20 needs.

Hope all is well with you and your birdies, Kali. Happy Thanksgiving!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Wait, I noticed you have a new GCC named Kumar :0

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Wait, I noticed you have a new GCC named Kumar :0

Nika IS Kumar lol! I had the DNA test done the last time I took him to the vet. I was quite surprised but also relieved he'll never lay eggs. That's off the table :) how have you and Boomer been?

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
And I don't think he noticed the name change, since I usually call him tater-tot.

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Oh wow! Nika is a boy!

I for one was also relieved I don't have to worry about egg laying or possible binding issues. Doesn't it feel great to finally know?

Kumar is a very cool name by the way. I hear you about he names. I call Boomer everything but 'Boomer' lol. He is well. Still as hyper/ADD afflicted as always haha. But so loving and sweet.

Cheers to Kumar!

Most Reactions

Latest posts