How often to Ekkies lay?

Dan&Rozie

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus- Bibi
Hi! I’ve had my Solomon Island Ekkie for nearly a year now, and I was told they tend to lay eggs once or twice a year. Bibi has displayed different behaviors from time to time where I thought that might be the case, but she has never actually laid. Is this normal?
Thanks!

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hey!
That’s kind of strange to me. Female parrots shouldn’t really be laying eggs as that is titled chronic egg laying and/or being egg bound which has many health problems attached to it if that’s the case. Your ekkie can lay eggs even without a mate so make sure to prevent this condition as much as possible as it is not good for them and can even be fatal if egg laying is a continuous and ongoing thing.

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
It is normal and awesome that you have seen no eggs!
You do not want your bird laying eggs unless she is primed for breeding and you have specifically prepared for that.
Her not laying means that you are doing things right to not encourage nesting behaviours unnecessarily. Egg laying is very hard on them and can also be dangerous/deadly so we want to discourage any hen from laying unless the intention is to breed and the correct preparations have been made.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Mid-size to larger Parrots tend to not begin laying eggs until they reach adulthood, which varies in age by Species. Under two years of age would be too young in all cases.

Your Parrot has a very specific dietary requirement. Please assure you are following it!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You do not want your bird laying eggs unless she is primed for breeding and you have specifically prepared for that.
Her not laying means that you are doing things right to not encourage nesting behaviours unnecessarily. Egg laying is very hard on them and can also be dangerous/deadly so we want to discourage any hen from laying unless the intention is to breed and the correct preparations have been made.
I completely agree with this.
Bibi is gorgeous, and she looks so healthy. You are doing several things right:)

OP
Dan&Rozie

Dan&Rozie

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Thanks so much for the encouragement!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I agree with everyone above - it's a good thing, female parrots, regardless of species, should not be laying at all unless you are breeding (which I would recommend against).

OP
Dan&Rozie

Dan&Rozie

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Hey!
That’s kind of strange to me. Female parrots shouldn’t really be laying eggs as that is titled chronic egg laying and/or being egg bound which has many health problems attached to it if that’s the case. Your ekkie can lay eggs even without a mate so make sure to prevent this condition as much as possible as it is not good for them and can even be fatal if egg laying is a continuous and ongoing thing.
Oh good to know! Thanks for your reply :)

OP
Dan&Rozie

Dan&Rozie

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
I agree with everyone above - it's a good thing, female parrots, regardless of species, should not be laying at all unless you are breeding (which I would recommend against of).
Thanks 🙏 I’m glad to hear it’s a good thing.

OP
Dan&Rozie

Dan&Rozie

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Mid-size to larger Parrots tend to not begin laying eggs until they reach adulthood, which varies in age by Species. Under two years of age would be too young in all cases.

Your Parrot has a very specific dietary requirement. Please assure you are following it!!

Most Reactions