How quiet is a Sun Conure?

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
...just kidding! Our baby Sun will be coming home Monday evening from the breeder. I've spent the last 3 weeks trying to get everything in order. The bird room (living room) has been dusted & cleaned from top to bottom with vinegar/water. We bought a large room air purifier for the bird room and have it running. Trixie (GCC) seems to love the fresh air. The baby is on Zu-Preem fruit pellets and gets fresh veggies & fruit in the morning and a small amount of Harrisons Safflower Gold in the evenings. Over the last month, we've added the pellets to Trixie's diet and she really likes them (the daily fresh veggies & fruit aren't new to her). The Sun will be housed in a separate cage from Trixie, but I don't know how far apart I will be able to keep the cages from each other (quarantine) as our home is not all that big. The baby will be going for a vet check on Tuesday morning.

Mostly, I'm worried about Trixie. I'm worried that she will become jealous. We love her so much and are hoping that she will eventually be happy to have someone to squawk at whenever I'm at work or the kids are at school. My husband has no clue what noise level he is in for, lol. My plan is to always give Trixie the attention first, before the baby.
Does anyone have any ideas for a travel carrier? Trixie has a small cage from Wal-Mart that she uses for vet visits, but this baby will be bigger than Trixie (if not now, eventually). Is a plastic dog crate-carrier okay?

Last edited:

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
Congrats on new baby soon! The carrier is a fine size fir the sun to travel in. I had two Sun Conures and they are THE LOUDEST birds ever! worse than any other birds Ive had and Ive had sooo many different birds. Also your GCC might get jealous but it all depends on the bird I recently rescued a Lorikeet and all my birds love him! except my Blue Crown Conure he is very jealous so I just spend time with him before the new bird and make sure to make him feel included in everything :) good luck with your Sun!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I find sun conures extremely loud, I prefer my friends blue and gold's very loud vocalization over the high pitch screechy sun conure call.

OP
faeryphoebe1

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Congrats on new baby soon! The carrier is a fine size fir the sun to travel in. I had two Sun Conures and they are THE LOUDEST birds ever! worse than any other birds Ive had and Ive had sooo many different birds. Also your GCC might get jealous but it all depends on the bird I recently rescued a Lorikeet and all my birds love him! except my Blue Crown Conure he is very jealous so I just spend time with him before the new bird and make sure to make him feel included in everything :) good luck with your Sun!

Thank you. I will be purchasing a carrier tomorrow. I grew up with Peacocks that screamed day and night. Of course, they weren't in the house, so I'm expecting that our home will soon begin sounding like a zoo. My husband will be the one that's most irritated. Our GCC screams and we (because we're a bunch of weirdos) call back to her. She answers (squawks, screams or talks) and we call back again and it goes on and on. My son and I love it. My daughter just rolls her eyes, lol.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
No it won't be the same....lol....As long as you understand the noise to begin with so you know what your getting into. Years ago when I got my conures, I was going oh they're so lovely to have. That die off soon afterwards with the daily non stop screaming that we have to hide in a different room and shut the door cause they just won't stop. I tolerate them for 3 years and never again, one have passed since I've moved, dunno what happened, but the other one is still with my best friend. Been over 13 years since I've been away from conures, now days when people offer them to me, I politely declined all the offer....

OP
faeryphoebe1

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
No it won't be the same....lol....As long as you understand the noise to begin with so you know what your getting into. Years ago when I got my conures, I was going oh they're so lovely to have. That die off soon afterwards with the daily non stop screaming that we have to hide in a different room and shut the door cause they just won't stop. I tolerate them for 3 years and never again, one have passed since I've moved, dunno what happened, but the other one is still with my best friend. Been over 13 years since I've been away from conures, now days when people offer them to me, I politely declined all the offer....

Yep, my GCC is very squawky in the mornings and evenings. She also alarm squawks at the post-man and when someone is at our door. Trixie is loud, but I know that this Sun will blow her out of the water. I think I'm ready for it. I knew this would be a very loud bird bird before purchase. The baby will be in a forever home with us because once they come home, they are family. If hubby protests too much, he can convert our back porch into that dream walk-in aviary we've been talking about for the last year.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Congratulations on your new parrot! I think you have a good idea of what to expect as far as the noise. I remember the first time my ears rang when Boomer screeched as he was riding my shoulder. It literally hurt my brain. From browsing Youtube, it seems some sun conures don't scream as loudly. Unfortunately for me, I have never seen a Youtube conure that screeched as loudly and as piercing as Boomer lol! Or maybe the audio just doesn't capture the epicness that is a sun conure screech lol.

Wishing you and your flock the best! I hope they'll love each other at first sight. Tell us how it goes.

OP
faeryphoebe1

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Thank you, Boom Boom. You're right, I suspect that Youtube cannot capture the full experience of an ear piercing Sun Conure screech, lol. I can't wait to bring him home. :D

SweetPeasFriend

Jun 25, 2012
Media
Parrots
Parent's have, I baby sit a blue crown conure.
My husband and I adopted a rescue blue and gold macaw.
I grew up with a Mitred conure and after she died my parents had to get another bird cause it was too quiet in the house. They have a blue crown now. My dad can't wear his hearing aid at all, but that's OK, the noise is important for a full house :) It's so quiet when I get back to my house, and my husband visits my parents, but everyone knows he is really there for Sweet Pea hehe. We are always trying to get my parents to travel so that they drop him off at our house to bird sit. We aren't home enough to have one of our own. Too quiet in this house! The only remedy is to visit or talk on the phone. Sweet Pea gets the concept of the telephone lol. People think it's hilarious when I tell them I am going to call the parrot then they hear it for themselves. Unless he yells or squawks sometimes they think it is a child that I am talking with on the phone.

This isn't Sweet Pea and not a conure, but it reminds me of this video. He really sounds like a child to me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OAYbNMVXv8"]Don't Wanna a Bath - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
A sun conure, budgie. Miss my cockatiel Sam. See you someday I hope Sam! And my little girl Sky a budgie that passed away in 2007 Thunder my budgie passed away too last September. Miss you little budd
I think that female sun conures are louder and have a higher pitch than the males. Mine is a male but I've heard the females and I couldn't handle that loud screeching female! lol

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
YouTube just cannot capture the... joy of having a Sun scream IN your ear as loudly as they possibly can. I was deaf in that ear for awhile. He's gotten better about not screaming in my ear, but he'll scream when he gets overly excited to see me or when he wants his snack. I don't love the noise, but I love Carlisle and wouldn't trade him for anything. As long as you're totally prepared to deal with the noise then you should be fine :)

OP
faeryphoebe1

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
I grew up with a Mitred conure and after she died my parents had to get another bird cause it was too quiet in the house. They have a blue crown now. My dad can't wear his hearing aid at all, but that's OK, the noise is important for a full house :) It's so quiet when I get back to my house, and my husband visits my parents, but everyone knows he is really there for Sweet Pea hehe. We are always trying to get my parents to travel so that they drop him off at our house to bird sit. We aren't home enough to have one of our own. Too quiet in this house! The only remedy is to visit or talk on the phone. Sweet Pea gets the concept of the telephone lol. People think it's hilarious when I tell them I am going to call the parrot then they hear it for themselves. Unless he yells or squawks sometimes they think it is a child that I am talking with on the phone.

This isn't Sweet Pea and not a conure, but it reminds me of this video. He really sounds like a child to me.

Don't Wanna a Bath - YouTube

OMG! This is too adorable!

Most Reactions