How to fly :)

parkland

Apr 11, 2014
Well after "piper" the 'tiel hovers at the window a bunch of times, it was clear that he wanted to go outside and play.

He is extremely good at listening, and is pretty close to us, so I knew that he wouldn't just take off and never come back.

So, we took him outside, and he had a blast!
We got him to fly around little bits, further and further each time, then he took to the sky, and really went for a rip!!!
Boy, what a beautiful bird when flying, despite living life in a house, I can say he flies faster than the other birds around here!! Like a rocket plane!!! lol.

Anyways, he was hanging out in front of the house, and he woudn't come down for about 5 minutes. We'd call him, he would chirp, but just stared at us. Eventually he came down and we praised him well.

My wife is paranoid that something will happen to him if we keep taking him out to play, but he really loves it. :)

Sooooo.... Bird leash ?
I see there is a "flight vest", is that the answer?

jared185

May 8, 2014
im new to having birds but my friend is not he had a tiel and heard of free flight on the internet decided to try this. his tiel was around 6yo and very tame. Like your tiel it would sit on the window seal. anyway he took it out and let it play a few times and each time the bird got more nerve and would fly further and faster each time. after about 6 sessions of free flight he took off and never came back we went looking around the subdivision and field and spotted him a long ways off. we eventually got him back to the house but barely... I would say its too risky to take him out. I finally bought my first bird which is a budgie and will take him out only after i tame and build an outdoor avery. Also dont know a whole lot on the flight vest but i dont think it would be to comfortable and if they try to fly once the leash runs out the jerk could make him fall.

Last edited:

jared185

May 8, 2014
But again im newer to keeping parrots so others may be able to give better advice just my 2 cents worth

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Alright so what you're doing is extremely dangerous. The only reason is that your bird isn't properly trained for free flight. You can always start that to make it a little bit safer but there will always be risks when you take him out. Him flying off a hawk or some other predator. He could get sick from wild birds there's so much to consider. I would put your baby on a harness. The flight vest does look uncomfortable so I bought an 'Aviator Harness' it's a bit more comfortable looking and the cord has a bit of give so when he flies off it won't jerk him back:) my sun conure had a blast with it! It worked beautifully:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Jared, your friend was doing free-flight incorrectly.

Parkland, same deal.

You should never take a parrot outside unrestrained without a good solid recall done inside. Only after extensively training recall inside and getting the bird to recall to you 100% of the time inside should you consider going outside. If training outside, it's best to do so in a quiet area with little distractions, and perhaps using a Feather Tether (or if your bird is large enough) or Aviator Harness before allowing free-flight unrestrained. While in the harness, be sure to get that recall down pat 100%. Even then, you need to be aware of the dangers of free-flying birds outside.

It's pretty much the same as off-leash training a dog, but more complex with an added dimension.... birds have wings, and the sky is that extra dimension!

OP
P

parkland

Apr 11, 2014
I'll take a look at the aviator vest.
Boy what a beautiful bird up in the sky!!!
I can't believe how fast he can go!
He is like the master of the sky when he goes up there! lol.

My biggest worries are predators, super tame bird would probably cuddle with a cat or dog before being scared. And those big ravens probably view him as an afternoon snack.

OP
P

parkland

Apr 11, 2014
Ordered a short leash thing to go from their leg to your wrist, just so he can sit on your shoulder outside.

Also 2 different vests, not the brand name ones, cheap 10$ ones that we'll see how they fit etc.

Also some tiny plastic coil shock cord so the string can't get tight and jerk him back if he flies too far.

Elsa

May 8, 2014
Kentucky
I'd be careful if the leg leash is a jess (usually you use two one on each leg and hold them in your hand not warp them around your wrist). That is falconry equipment and is designed for birds of prey which typically have stronger legs. I'd be worried it would break tiny cockatiel legs as even the smallest Kestrals have more leg strength. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in on the safety of using it.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I'm with Elsa on this. I've never heard of a parrot leash that attaches to the leg, as their legs are incredibly fragile with little to no strength aside from perching/grasping muscles. There's also the possibility of the leash getting caught if he takes off and the immediate force of it catching and pulling on his leg could dislocate/damage. They are normally for falconry.

I would highly recommend an aviator harness or a flight suit :)

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Glad you are looking at safer alternatives - as you are right, a 'tiel is pretty much "snack-size"! It may take some experimentation to find a flight suit that will work, but it will sooo be worth it to see him fly yet be safe!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My bird loves his aviator harness and he even has an extended shock cord now so when we are in the correct environment, he can fly further/higher. I feel much safer with him harnessed and he can enjoy more freedom. It is worth the investment considering the bird stays safe and comfortable even in the event he is shocked and just takes off--the harness fits well and doesn't create a strain on the bird and the shock cord gently pulls him back. :)

OP
P

parkland

Apr 11, 2014
Has anyone ever used fishing line?
Its cheap, strong, and fairly reliable too.....

I think of the boat anchor system, where the rope is lighter, but the anchor has a length of heavy chain, so that if a wave comes, and pushes the boat, the chain lifting up acts like a spring...
This could be replicated for a bird tether, but I guess it wouldn't dampen a shock unless he's in the air, if he flew along the ground it wouldn't have any give at all....

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I would only ever use a shock cord if you're expecting your bird to fly. It reminds me of the rule of when your dog is running away - don't step on the leash because there's a high chance of breaking their neck from the force. Birds can take off at incredibly fast speeds. The shock cord with the aviator harness is quite perfect in my opinion, as it allows them to keep flying as they're slowly brought to a stop. If they're scared, fly off, and come to the end of the cord, it gently brings them down without it stopping their flight. A jerk from a fishing line would be really hard on their chest, and harder to deal with if it tangled on branches I would imagine. Especially if it's clear, haha.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Re: Bird leg leashes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q1GqhuoS3A"]marc morrone bird leashes - YouTube[/ame]

Wouldn't recommend fishing line. What if the bird were to bite it? Or if it were to get snagged on something? Use a cat or small dog leash instead, or buy the Aviator Flight Line designed *specifically* for birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts