How to move society finch chicks?

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Hello, my society finches recently had two chicks! This is the first time I have had a clutch of more of than one chick, so I am ecstatic! I always tame one baby at a time, so I never see how chicks interact with each other. Now with two chicks I can see them grow and interact together :). But there's a problem, at the moment there are 8 adult finches and 2 chicks in the nest. It's getting crowded and I'm worried the babies will be crushed or develop splayed legs. I was told if I moved them into a bigger nest and put the new nest in the same spot, it would be fine. Do you agree, or should I put two nests right next to each other? Thank you and happy late fourth of July!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I want to make sure I understand this....you want to move the parents and babies into a larger new nest? if that's correct I don' think you should move them from nest to nest. they will more than likely abandon the babies.

once they have settled into the nest that is where they should stay.

If you know who the parents are, maybe you could temporarily remove the remaining finches to a different cage.
I'd be concerned if I had 8 adults in one nest with chicks.
when do you plan on starting to hand feed them?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like crimson says you can't move nest but you can provide more nest! Why are there 8 adults sharing same nest?

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Like crimson says you can't move nest but you can provide more nest! Why are there 8 adults sharing same nest?

Society finches are weirdos. They aren't aggresive birds and as many as possible will shove themselves into one single nest! :D

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
There are eight adults in the cage, they all like to sleep in the same nest. Only one pair produces eggs, they are the only pair I'm breeding. Most of the time, only the parents are in the nest, the rest only sleep there. I'm also getting a new cage to separate the males and females, I have decided to stop breeding for the summer. I will put two nests in the cage to see if some decide to sleep there instead.
@Mikey
By more nest, do you mean a larger nest, more nesting materials, or more than one nest? Only one breeding pair uses that nest, but they all like to sleep there. I'm getting a four in one cage. One cage for the males, one for the females, one for my dove, and one for the tame finches. Each cage will get its own nest :)
@Crimson
I originally planned to move the chicks to a different nest in the same spot. Instead I will just put another nest next to it. Also, I'm not hand feeding them, but I wish I could! I have always wanted to experience raising a chick. I just handle the babies while they are young, as they get older they stay tame. I have four that step up, accept petting and kisses, and take food from my hand. I do it for the companionship, but it also makes nail clipping ALOT easier :)
@U2gal
I am getting a new cage soon, but I can put some with my gouldians until I get it. Also your so right about societies being weirdos! They make the weirdest noises and do the strangest things :roleeyes:

Last edited:
OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Ann, if it's any consolation, I have 4 society finches that sleep in the same nest at night
a pair have laid eggs, and will hatch any day now :)

I provided another nest for the other pair.....but no ~~they all cram themselves into one....too funny.....congrats on your babies....aren't they cute!!!??

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
The more the merrier....lol..... :18::18::18:

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thanks crimson lol they just love to be together! Congratulations on your chicks, there's nothing cuter than little fuzzy heads peeking out of the nest! I was going to put two nests in, but when I looked at the old nest, it was just too dirty. Let's just say its had its fair share of clutches ;). I put the chicks in a bigger nest in the same spot and gave them some space. When I transferred the chicks, they both had full crops. A little while later, everyone was back in the nest :). I was very careful and kept an eye on them. Everyone's fine for now, and tomorrow I'll move some to a new cage :)

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
No more finch babies for now as I give away my Zebra Finches Monday. They're not good parents. They kept messing with my canaries' nest tearing it apart. Dixie don't like them at all. They poop in her dish all the time. So I finally had enough of them as the established birds rules. My other birds are happier the day they left. I never imagined them not liking Zebras so much or I would never have placed them in there. Now I'm just waiting for my Canary babies, last batch got all broke from the Zebra Finches. For the time being I'm watching the Wren babies outside in their nest box.... :D

20130701_145254_zpsa28ad094.jpg

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Thanks crimson lol they just love to be together! Congratulations on your chicks, there's nothing cuter than little fuzzy heads peeking out of the nest! I was going to put two nests in, but when I looked at the old nest, it was just too dirty. Let's just say its had its fair share of clutches ;). I put the chicks in a bigger nest in the same spot and gave them some space. When I transferred the chicks, they both had full crops. A little while later, everyone was back in the nest :). I was very careful and kept an eye on them. Everyone's fine for now, and tomorrow I'll move some to a new cage :)

I know what u mean about the nests being dirty!....ugggg, it's gross.
I'm always amazed that they don't come down with something, breathing it in.:eek:

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots

I know what u mean about the nests being dirty!....ugggg, it's gross.
I'm always amazed that they don't come down with something, breathing it in.:eek:
Ikr! I used to worry about that, but I wonder if it builds a stronger immune system?
@Mikey best of luck for chicks, and cute wren babies!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
The wren babies all fledged...we find the parents and the babies roaming around in the garden all the time. I need to open that box to remove the bedding hoping they would use it again before end of the summer.... ;)

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
It's been a few decades since I last had finches, but if I'm correct, the Societies are the best "adoptive parents" in the finch world. I know several Zebra Finch breeders that as soon as they could, they moved their zebra babies into cages with Societies. They make better parents.

Several things concern me about possible moves.

If they get along just fine, they shouldn't hurt the babies, even if it seems crowded.

If you take out all but the parents, the loss of their flock-mates could upset the parents enough to cause them to change their parenting behavior. I'm not sure if this would result in harming the babies, but it could.

Also, if the six adults are used to being in the cage with babies in the nest, more than likely, the 4 non-parental birds could be assisting in the feeding and incubating of the babies. Removing their assistance might put added stress on the parents as they try to get the same job done with less participants.

Introducing a new cage into the nest might work; however, based on what you have described, I would expect you to end up with one very crowded community nest and one ignored nest.

Lastly, I would never consider cleaning a cage or removing a cage while fledglings were in it. When we chose to clean and sterilize cages we always did it after the young had left the nest, but before the next clutch.

A cage full of conyent, cooperative and cozy Finches ... what more can you ask?

Except maybe the same situation with 8 Amazons (maybe CAGs), LOL!

Forbey

Last edited:
OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
lol forbey, 8 amazons getting along in complete harmony, not a single angry squawk :rolleyes:.
i see your point, but i moved the finches before i saw your post, luckily it went well. i ended up having to take the chicks on vacation with me. one chick was weak and behind in development, and i didn't know if he would fledge. i was worried the parents would stop feeding him, and he wouldn't be able to leave the nest to get his own food. i took the two chicks and 4 parents with me to be sure the parenting duties were evenly taken care of. the weak chick ended up fledging wonderfly, and is just as healthy as the rest :). if something like this happens again, i will definately take advice from your post :0)

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
For the future, separate the pair you want to breed when the breeding season starts (March). Don't give them nests outside the breeding season (July to February) Don't hand-feed finches, they are too tiny, they have too fast a metabolism for people to be able to do it right and it doesn't do any good whatsoever as they don't imprint on people like parrots do.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I have known people to handfeed finches and leaves a imprint. One of the babies that I give to a friend of mine, Zebra Finch, she would come out and fly around. She'll fly on you and sit with you. She is very very tamed. So imprint can be done with just about any bird just depending on the bird themselves. I also seen videos of humming bird, pigeons, and other birds tame as a parrot can be as they flies up to their owners.

Most Reactions