How to protect during walks

GreenCheek44

Nov 11, 2020
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek: Tango
Budgie: Hopper
I bought Tango my gcc a flight suit for Christmas so, amongst other things, I could take him with us when we walk the dogs around the block. I live in Southern California so we definitely have some hawks and a few owls that live nearby. I read on a different forum that it isn't safe to have a conure outside with you because of the birds of prey. Are hawks really that ballsy? Would my bird really be in any real danger from them while walking through a neighborhood with cars, people and 3 big dogs?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It is possible-- I mean, for example....This video shows a hawk attempting to attack a cockatoo at a bird show (both survived etc, but it is a bit scary to watch, despite both being okay...so there's my disclaimer) . Now, this hawk would have been slightly less fearful of humans, as it also was at the zoo, BUT, there are instances of things like this happening elsewhere.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDpYwDKQ_A"]Bird of Prey Attacks Cockatoo - YouTube[/ame]

If you are paying a lot of attention, I think you could do it. I definitely wouldn't free fly any birds for that reason (among others) but its a risk vs benefits assessment. Hopefully, others will chime in. Birds of prey will even attack large birds, and people take their parrots out still...Nothing is without risk, and part of it depends on where you will be walking etc, but always being vigilant is important. If that still scares you, they do sell back-a-birds that allow sun to get in while still keeping the bird in an enclosure.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First I would like to Thank my Good Friend for providing a clear Video of a full-on Hawk attack!

Although the Trainer saw the incoming (zoo owned) Hawk and took excellent defensive and protective action to safeguard the Too. She was clearly hit hard on her upper back /neck area. The vast majority of owners would have missed the majority of pre-attack indicators and would have witnessed the attack on their Parrot and after it occurred.

In the audio of the video, one can clearly hear the thud of the impact of the Hawk on the Human. That tool of Hawks is based on their killing the Bird on impact.

I live in a training area of five Red Tail Hawk families. They roll in every late Spring to train their young in the fine art of the high speed inside turn. That said, the young continue to return the remainder of the year. As a result we are a No Parrot Outside Home...

One needs to know their environment, study it and be aware of its dangers. The Too in the Video lived because of the knowledge of the Trainer. Most all owners would never be that lucky.

Last edited:

Most Reactions