I am new to having a pet Conure

DeclanOH

Apr 2, 2014
Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi everyone,

My name is Declan I am new here at parrotforums.com. Sunday 30th March I got a Green Cheek Conure, the little guys name is Rio, he is 2 months old. I got him as a present. I brought him to the Vet on Wednesday 2nd April for a check up as being new to birds I was just being over protective a bit. The vet said Rio was Healthy looking, feathers were fine, beck was fine, eyes where healthy and his feet were to. Rio loves being at the bottom of his cage and sometimes under the paper in his cage is this okay.

The vet said plenty of fruit and veg and little bird seed because it can become addictive. At present he is on egg food and a bit of seed. the Brand of egg food is CeDe egg food. the last two days I was testing Rio with grapes and Rio likes them. What is the best to feed him only being two months old. Also he is a happy bird and I leave him out of his cage every day for about 1 hour to 1 hour and a 1/2. He loves coming out and going up on my shoulder and lying against my neck. The first day or two was a bit nippy but that is slowly leaving him.

I just want to know the diet he should be on and also it being at the bottom of the cage normal. Sometimes he falls asleep down there. I clean his cage out once a day and give Rio fresh water every morning. He loves singing in his cage. :)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I'm not familiar with the diet- so hopefully someone who is will pop in to answer your food questions- however I do know that softer foods are better when they're that young. So lots of fruits and veggies like grapes, kale, squash, berries, etc.
When he's at the bottom of his cage is he on the paper that catches his droppings? If there isn't a wire grate/barrier type thing in his cage that separates his droppings and dropped food from the rest of his cage I'd definitely see about getting one. You don't want your birdie rolling around/eating anything that's covered in the bacteria of his own droppings and/or any spoiled food that may be there from his previous meal. Conures like to play, so having a clean cage bottom is a must, especially at such a young age. :)

Edit: You can also cook for your birdie! Mine really enjoy brown rice and scrambled eggs(eggs on a rare basis, mostly as a treat.) you can also shred veggies to mix in with the rice. (I.E if he doesn't like carrots, for example, try shredding them with the rice. Maybe he just doesn't like the texture/size of chopped carrots.)

OP
D

DeclanOH

Apr 2, 2014
Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I'm not familiar with the diet- so hopefully someone who is will pop in to answer your food questions- however I do know that softer foods are better when they're that young. So lots of fruits and veggies like grapes, kale, squash, berries, etc.
When he's at the bottom of his cage is he on the paper that catches his droppings? If there isn't a wire grate/barrier type thing in his cage that separates his droppings and dropped food from the rest of his cage I'd definitely see about getting one. You don't want your birdie rolling around/eating anything that's covered in the bacteria of his own droppings and/or any spoiled food that may be there from his previous meal. Conures like to play, so having a clean cage bottom is a must, especially at such a young age. :)

Edit: You can also cook for your birdie! Mine really enjoy brown rice and scrambled eggs(eggs on a rare basis, mostly as a treat.) you can also shred veggies to mix in with the rice. (I.E if he doesn't like carrots, for example, try shredding them with the rice. Maybe he just doesn't like the texture/size of chopped carrots.)

Thanks for the advice about the rice I know Rio is a bit iffy about carrots. Or I cut them a bit two big. I will definitely look around for a grate/barrier for over the tray of Rio's cage. :)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas

Thanks for the advice about the rice I know Rio is a bit iffy about carrots. Or I cut them a bit two big. I will definitely look around for a grate/barrier for over the tray of Rio's cage. :)

Sounds good to me! I just used carrots as an example because they're rich in carotene and vitamin A, which are both fantastic for birds and somewhat harder to supplement via pellet than other vitamins. Bell peppers are also good. My Eclectus refuses most veggies to I have to mix everything up with rice so it's nice and warm before he'll touch it.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Hi and congratulates on your new 'baby'! Two months ago I was new here and asking so many questions (I still ask them!). I got my green cheek conure Parry on impulse from a pet store because he was so miserable there, but it was the best purchase in my life. Please post a pick of Rio!
I dunno about the parrot food you are telling about - I think most people on this forum are using a seed-pellet mixes with fruits/veggies. Being on the bottom of the cage looks actually really strange to meโ€ฆ Usually birds want to get as high as possible. Are the perches comfortable for him? Could there be a toy or something on the top that scares him? Did you ask the vet about that - it would be interesting to hear what he said. Parry never went down - he always sits on the top perch or on the top of my head or shoulder LOL :)
Make sure you feed him veggies, not only fruit - making them to eat veggies is difficult so you have to invent all sorts of tricks. :) There have been many discussions about that on this forum.

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
My best friend has a conure (he introduced me to the breed) and his Kyra gets underneath the newspaper on the bottom of her cage to sleep. Even when she's out of her cage she loves getting under newspapers and just hanging out there...so this behavior is unusual but nothing to worry about, I would say! I do agree with Sterling though that you should try and get a grate. I'd be worried about your feathered friend nibbling on poop-covered scraps of food!

OP
D

DeclanOH

Apr 2, 2014
Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure

Sounds good to me! I just used carrots as an example because they're rich in carotene and vitamin A, which are both fantastic for birds and somewhat harder to supplement via pellet than other vitamins. Bell peppers are also good. My Eclectus refuses most veggies to I have to mix everything up with rice so it's nice and warm before he'll touch it.

Hi, is Bell Peppers safe to give Rio :)

OP
D

DeclanOH

Apr 2, 2014
Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Yup! Bell peppers are safe for your bird. :)
Here's a link to a pretty good list of what is and isn't safe --> http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html
Just take note that certain skins/seeds should not be eaten- the pits of fruit, apple seeds, and avocado are toxic!(So are others, but they are all listed on the forum I linked.) :)

Hey another quick question I am reading about pellet food for my conure is good. I am looking online and I can get a brand called Harrison's. Will this be good for Rio. High Potency Fine 453g 1lb

Thanks in advance:)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Yup! Bell peppers are safe for your bird. :)
Here's a link to a pretty good list of what is and isn't safe --> http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html
Just take note that certain skins/seeds should not be eaten- the pits of fruit, apple seeds, and avocado are toxic!(So are others, but they are all listed on the forum I linked.) :)

Hey another quick question I am reading about pellet food for my conure is good. I am looking online and I can get a brand called Harrison's. Will this be good for Rio. High Potency Fine 453g 1lb

Thanks in advance:)

I personally don't know- my conures don't eat pellets(They wouldn't try them) so they have a small amount of seed mix supplemented with fresh/cooked foods.
I know many members here have their conures on pellets, or even pellet/seed mix, so I'm sure it wouldn't be harmful. Just make the transition slow, so you don't upset your fid's tummy with the sudden different food. :)
(I.E. if Rio is on a seed mix, try half and half seed and pellets, but don't take the seed away completely until you're sure he's eating the pellets just fine.)
Also, I'm not sure you'd need the high potency, especially if you're able to give him fresh foods. Try an all-natural pellet, so he doesn't get too much of certain vitamins. And like always, keep an eye on his behaviour and his droppings to make sure that he takes the adjustment well. Too much of something can be just as bad as not enough! :)

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Harrison's is one of the best pellets available. I would go with the high potency for the first 6 months. It's recommended for young & recently weaned birds as well as birds who are transitioning from a seed to pellet diet.

OP
D

DeclanOH

Apr 2, 2014
Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Harrison's is one of the best pellets available. I would go with the high potency for the first 6 months. It's recommended for young & recently weaned birds as well as birds who are transitioning from a seed to pellet diet.

So its a good idea to switch now when he is young, but I can also give him a bit of fruit and veg daily to with that correct. :)

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
From what I understand a good diet would be 30% pellets to 70% fresh foods/ nuts/ legumes. Witchbaby is absolutely correct about the high potency harrisons, my avian vet gave me the exact same advice just two days ago!

Most Reactions

Latest posts