I have an Eclectus parrot. Both female and male. They are very sweet birds, especially the males. My male is 20 years old. They talk. They live 40 yrs

babsflygirl1

May 26, 2018
Florida
Parrots
Eclectus
I have a male Eclectus. They are very quiet most of the time. They make little noises. And if trained can talk. Eclectus parrots are beautiful and very sweet. Look into this kind of parrot. Mine is on my shoulder as I write.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Okay, not sure, but I am guessing that you are recommending that individuals consider Eclectus. Great Parrot's that have a highly specialized diet.

Are you certain regarding their life span of only 40 years?

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I really don't think ANYONE should recommend a parrot to a vast group of individuals, especially on here. The experience range on here is 'I know nothing' to 'very advanced', and the age range is 12+.

People impulse buy parrots all the time, especially from being on these forums where many people share their positive experiences.

Eclectus parrots are NOT a beginner parrot, they have a very specialized diet that needs to be followed, and some individuals are harder to train, like any parrot.

Maybe you could specify more about this parrot, not just the pros of owning it? That would help people really decide if it is right for them.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
most are not easy to train.

Stormypica, I’m not sure where this is coming from, but this is simply not true. Ekkies are as trainable as any other parrot, without exception or qualification. There’s a challenge advising in parrots you don’t own and you just ran right into it, unfortunately. You have to be very careful about painting a species you arent familiar with with such a broad brush.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormypica, I’m not sure where this is coming from, but this is simply not true. Ekkies are as trainable as any other parrot, without exception or qualification. There’s a challenge advising in parrots you don’t own and you just ran right into it, unfortunately. You have to be very careful about painting a species you arent familiar with with such a broad brush.
I did not mean they as a species aren't easy to train, I meant to warn people that not all parrots (as individuals) are easy to train. I'll edit that right away, I think I just mis-typed :)

Thanks for pointing that out!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I had a pair of Ekkies and loved them dearly. A challenging but highly rewarding species for educated and devoted parronts.

In my case the female was sweeter and the male an exquisite talker. Sadly, neither lived 40 years. I endorse singing the praises of all species, let the conversations flow enhancing knowledge and appreciation!!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yes, bring on the Ekkies!
I just thought I should write a word of caution on here in case any first-time bird owner finds this thread. Probably wasn't needed but just in case :)

OP, we would love to see pics and vids of your beautiful birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts