I need help hand taming a peach-faced lovebird I have had for years.

XxpeachloverxX

Jun 18, 2020
I need help hand taming a peach-faced lovebird I have had for years.

first some background. i was in 5th grade when i got her(she was a few months old at the time. it was kind of impulsive and that was wrong. but i have kind of fallen in love ya know she is pretty cool. sometimes she will crawl in my shirt(rarely) or under my chin(less rarely). but usually, she will climb on my shoulder. sometimes she refuses to step up. for the past year, i have been paying a lot more attention to her taking her out almost every day. but i want to be able to give her scratches. any tips or tricks and an approximate timeline. sorry for being new but asking so much. also, we don't know if she is a girl.:green1:. also is harness a good idea.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there. Lovebirds, like some other species of parrots, readily go back to a wild state, if they are not handled and interacted with on a daily basis. But it sounds like your lovie hasn't regressed quite that far. You can check out the thread
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Training is the key. Any training requires that you decide on a method and process, and then be 100% consistent in how you do it. Develop a signal, in example, for step up, and use it every time you request it, and dont forget to reward, at least verbally, when done successfully. Lovies are very stubborn little parrots, so it may take awhile. and, some parrots just don't like to be scratched.

Most Reactions