i need help!!

vanvan

Feb 7, 2024
Parrots
Monk parakeet in
hello, me and my family have a 5 year old monk parakeet and his behavior has been strange. sorry if i miss spell something english isnt my first language.

this all started when my grandma left to live in the county side, he started to pluck at his feathers and we believe that might have been the cause of it cuz she spent a lot of time with him. so we started to do the same, but nothing changed. we bought more toys, gave him more food, but nothing. he still is plucking his feathers and today he flew out of a window for the first time, we thankfully got him back. we’re worried sick, does someone know what we could do??

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
hmm.... well it looks like he really misses your grandma... he is distressed by that. You can try to put a bird suit on him so he cant reach the feathers... there are also sprays that help, but i heard it ruins their skin... so im not sure...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
No to the sprays!

Monk parrots (Quakers) are one of the parrot species that are prone to plucking. The others are Greys, Macaws and Cockatoos. Getting a parrot to stop is very difficult and often what was once a nervous habit becomes ingrained behavior. The use of a 'cone of shame' or a body suit, as suggested above, physically prevents the parrot from reaching the plucked area but removing the device just lets them resume the action.

Please read the threads on our sub-forum
https://www.parrotforums.com/forums/plucking-feather-destruction-and-mutilation.90/

Most Reactions

Latest posts