I noticed my Caique's tail feathers damaged/ruffled (photos). Is this normal?

DoctorWhoops

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Appa the Caique
When I returned home to my Caique today I noticed his tail feathers were unusually ruffled and damaged, as seen in the first picture. It kind of seems like the tips are damaged. This might've been the case for longer and I just didn't notice, but when looking at images from a couple of days ago his tail looks a lot neater (see second image).

When preening he doesn't seem to specifically target or avoid his tail feathers, and in his behaviour I generally see nothing too out of the ordinary. But the damaged tail does sightly concern me. Is this reason to be concerned, or am I worrying over something trivial?

Attachments

• AppaStaart.jpg
    AppaStaart.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 18
  • AppaFeathers.png
    AppaFeathers.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 17

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Young birds can damage tail feathers because they are not 100% sure of where they end! Or perhaps you caique has been stuffing himself into some very tight quarters lately and they were damaged? ANd of course, tho I hate to mention it, he may be barbering or over preening those feathers. Kepp a close eye on him for the next few weeks.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I know nothing about how Caique’s live in the wild.
but their build and the way they hop and move remind me of woodpecker’s.
And woodpecker’s use their tails to help support themselves when on a vertical surface.
is it possible Caiques use there tail in a similar fashion?

Most Reactions

Latest posts