I think Kermit has a seizure this morning :(

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Not yet. The vet said results will take a few days. In the meantime, Kermit is 100% her sassy self so if something's wrong, she's hiding it quite well.

edit;; Kermit likes to prove me wrong. A few minutes after posting that, I noticed one of her nostrils was light green. I called the vet and sent a picture. This bird is causing so much stress and anxiety.

Last edited:

syakti

Dec 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Hydutt (GCC - 4.5 years old) and Hero (Budgie - 3 years old)
Not yet. The vet said results will take a few days. In the meantime, Kermit is 100% her sassy self so if something's wrong, she's hiding it quite well.

edit;; Kermit likes to prove me wrong. A few minutes after posting that, I noticed one of her nostrils was light green. I called the vet and sent a picture. This bird is causing so much stress and anxiety.

I know how it feels. I hope everything goes fine and she gets better very soon.

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
No updates on the results yet. I assume they'll be a while.

It does appear like Kermit has some 'boogers' in her nostrils (for lack of a better word). They're dry and flaky, so I wouldn't call it a "discharge", but it's something I'm trying to keep an eye on and make sure it doesn't progress.

I've been giving Kermit water with ACV, as directed by the vet. The ACV has this weird side-effect of giving Kermit extra watery poops. I know its the ACV because when I gave her this same treatment before, it was the same issue (and I tested the theory by stopping treatment, and found her droppings improved). The vet appeared perplexed by this issue last time I brought it up, and said it was ok if I stopped treatment. This time I'm determined to maintain treatment for the full 2 weeks, but I want to make sure it's not going to harm her either. I'll be giving the vet a call about it, but I'm curious if anyone else's birds have this issue.

syakti

Dec 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Hydutt (GCC - 4.5 years old) and Hero (Budgie - 3 years old)
How is Kermit doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
No updates on this particular situation. Kermit has been very sweet and playful, with no other symptoms presenting themselves.

However, it seems Kermit was left unattended for 10 minutes today and the staple in a tea bag disappeared.... I spent the morning looking for the not-so-metaphorical needle in a haystack without success. We're going in again to the vet's AGAIN to check that out. The people at the vet's are nice but I'm tired of seeing them so frequently.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Step one in preparing for a parrot "find a vet you like and start paying his car payment" lol. I feel you!

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Well here's the final update:
Kermit did not eat the staple, but I now have some very nice (and expensive) memorabilia from the occasion. Interestingly enough, Kermit DOES have grit in her gut, which is odd as I've never given it to her; but the vet says it won't hurt her. I really like this vet because he managed to do the Xray without knocking her out first... which was something I was nervous about. They have this really neat technique where they immobilized her in a clear tube. It's only good if you don't need detailed anatomy shots, but works well if you need to find a staple apparently.

The bloodwork is in too and everything looks pretty good. Her phosphorus was slightly high, but that's apparently common with young birds. Her white blood cell count was also slightly high (specifically the lymphocytes) which can indicate a fungal or viral infection; but because she has no other symptoms, the vet doesn't think much of it. Everything else looked good.

So $500 in vet bills later, Kermit is fine. She's had a very thorough yearly examination this year.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Glad to hear it!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Definitely great news! Judging from the vet work thus far, $500 doesn't seem excessive. Comparatively speaking, though $500 is a chunk of $$.

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
I usually buy a Kermit each examination. This year I could buy two Kermits.

I wouldn't say my vet is cheap, but they're reasonable/competitive for the area. I'd say it's not bad for a radiograph, a mini blood panel, a gram stain, 2 office visits, and a fecal test.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That's actually a great price for all that in my experience! And it sounds like you have a great vet! Maybe Kermit is just doing what my brother did; having a seizure or two early on to scare the bejeezuz out of you and then continuing on with a perfectly normal and healthy life!

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
So great to hear your little guy is fine. Hopefully was just a one off. I had a seizure when i was younger and was a one off too. Good parenting and you guys have the best 2018 together x

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I usually buy a Kermit each examination. This year I could buy two Kermits.

I wouldn't say my vet is cheap, but they're reasonable/competitive for the area. I'd say it's not bad for a radiograph, a mini blood panel, a gram stain, 2 office visits, and a fecal test.

It varies tremendously by region! Most of us are lucky to have a certified avian vet within reasonable distance! Seems you have a keeper for Kermit!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts