I'm a new parrot owner

Braxton

May 29, 2017
Gaffney, SC
Parrots
Male Quaker(1 year old)
I am looking forward to having some good times and some advice on parrot care here. My bird is a Quaker parrot with green ad lime feathers and his name is Timmy. He's a shy bird with a temper. I'm trying to teach him to not bite my glove when I try to pet him. So basically, I'm a new parrot owner who has only one bird so far.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hey there!
You're at the RIGHT place!
Welcome! Lots of bird-lovers here to help you out. While you're having a look around, you can take any issue or topic which interests you, use the Search Tab and then read about it. It's a really good engine.
It's late or I'd chat more.
Welcome...
It's good to have you as a member of our community.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
Braxton

Braxton

May 29, 2017
Gaffney, SC
Parrots
Male Quaker(1 year old)
Timmy is about 1 year old, and I've had him 5 months, tommorow. Thanks for the replies, especially from Scott. I wasn't expecting a site admin to reply.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Welcome to the best place to learn all things about your bird! Welcome to you and Timmy both.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome. Loose the glove, parrots hate gloves, and if you are successful in training him with a glove, most likely you will always need the glove. Is he supposed to sit still while this huge brown perch-type-looking-thing comes at him? Read the links given to you, theres a lot of excellent info in there. Good luck

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
May I suggest a good book for a new companion parrot person: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Flockcal...6&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Book+called+flockcall

I am reading it now and still learning after all these years. One thing I would like to point out is that we do not use gloves with birds unless the situation is desperate. A young bird is testing out his new world when bites occur. The thing is not to make a big deal of this. Its easy to first perch train your bird by holding a perch in your hand and putting that perch in place for a step up rather than your hand or glove. Holding a section of millet spray at the same time will temp your bird. Birds really do not have what you are calling a "bad temper". They are cautious around a new person or thing because they are prey animals and always on the lookout for same. Understanding, patience and knowledge will go a long way in gaining your birds trust. Every positive action or encounter with your bird is adding coins to your trust bank. Positive reinforcements like millet is a good way to begin filling up the coins.

Success with a Companion Parrot is not found in the parrot but in the human in the room. Unreasonable expectations based on false self-awareness are at the epicenter of failed parrot relationships. What are your expectations when it comes to having a companion parrot? Understand this also plays an important role in filling up that trust bank I wrote about.

Many parrots are not big fans of "petting" by human hands. They are not like dogs and cats. We usually just touch a bird on the head lightly because petting or stroking a bird is stimulating their hormones. In summary I would stop using the glove and begin filling up your trust bank with positive encounters. Take you time and please update us on how things are going. There is much wisdom here from experienced members for you to learn.

Here is some more good reading: Flock Call - Understanding your Companion Parrot

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Timmy is about 1 year old, and I've had him 5 months, tommorow. Thanks for the replies, especially from Scott. I wasn't expecting a site admin to reply.

Awesome, so he is very young! From what I've heard about Quakers, they have strong personalities and are "high reward" once you form a bond.

You're welcome, but I'm just a moderator! I've never seen the site admin post on the open forum! :D

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
@Braxton have you learned anything from members posting? Will you change anything you are doing as a result?

Most Reactions