Im lost on what to do with my Conure

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello. I am new to posting on this site, but i need some serious help. I have had my Conure for almost 7 years now. Got her when she was just 6 months old, and I have made sure she lived her best life with me. When I got her i knew what i was getting into. So with me I'd make sure she is out of her cage 8 plus hours a day and I take her on walks whenever I can outside ( I put her on a leash because she is fully flighted). I got her when I was 19 and since then I have gotten married about a year and a half ago. Before that I lived with my parents, and when COVID hit my dad started working from home. Birdie (yea that's her name haha) during that time has formed a strong bond with my dad and she would not leave his side. So when I moved out with my husband Birdie has been a train wreck for over a year now. Screaming all day every day. I am finally at my wits end. My ears hurt, I cry every morning now, And i just feel like I failed her. I have researched for hours and hours. Tried everything people suggested online, and a year later she still screams all day. I don't know what to do anymore. Am I giving up to soon? I cried for a straight week debating if just rehoming would be best for both of us. Im am keeping her at my parents for a few days to clear my head and she seems happier and much quieter there, but my dad nor my mom can handle her and let her out of her cage. And Birdie is starting just to tolerate me and not wanting to be around me. Just typing this is making me cry. I am at a loss. I love her so much so even considering rehoming is breaking my heart at this point but i can clearly see she isn't happy anymore. I need help on what to do. I can't google anything anymore because i read each link and nothing is helping, again i have been trying for over a year now.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello, so glad you found us!
Screaming will drive a person mad, I know first hand! And a year, wow!

Firstly I believe 100% that you can repair your relationship, and fix Screaming. But its not going to happen fast...let's set a goal of 3 months, but hope we will see some reduction sooner. Important that you believe that!! Birds read us a d pick up on.. so reach deep and find thst zen. Post and journal with us .

I've lost and regained my green cheeks trust several times over our 8yrs together. Our worst time was my failed harness training, I did everything wrong, just stuffed her in the harness.....sigh....that led to lost of trust, fear of hands, attacks, flying to me just to bite me all over. After a couple of months, I did the below, in a few weeks we had repaired our relationship.

First, and this doesn't only come from me, but many wise bird keepers here as well.

Start completing over, pretend you just brought her home today. Make sure the cage location is ideal. Back against a wall, in your main living area , not near a door, a view out a window. If this was me, I'd probably move the cage to a new location, and completely overhaul the inside, changing perches and toys, add a treat stick, a millet holder with millet, some little foraging toys, some easy to chew up yucca chips, or cork. Add perches on the outside and top, one near the door so when you open you can have her come out to perch. And this part seems a little controversial with some folks , so you don't have to do this, but has worked wonderfully for my gcc and quakers. Add a sleep tent, non fuzzy!, in one of the upper corners, with a short perch in front. Start a routine, set a bedtime and stick to that, at least ten hours of cage sleep time. You will do whst works for your life, and allows for out of cage time with you. For mine they are up around 8am and caged by 6 pm( I'm home, so they are out all day, except for a trained cage break from about 1pm -2pm

Go over , explain and apologize , tell Birdie we are starting over and it's going to be great.. introducing yourself, if she will still except treats by hand, hand her a safflower seed, or if needed place a tiny treat only dish by door and put a treat in it. Then go get your husband, have come over and stand by you and introduce him. Have him say hello, and offer a treat. Walk away. Go gather your supplies, a comfy chair to drag over and smush up next to her cage, a book/magazine/phone/ snack a drink, treats for her. Spend an hour talking to her off and on and handing out treats, and just being there nit focused completing on her. If after a half hour she seems good, relaxed , interested. And you feel comfortable to open the door let her climb out on her own and explore all the new perches and stuff you put on the outside, possibly climb over to you on her own and hand out treats and hang out fine. Or save it for another day. As soon as you are able give her a tour of the house. But start slow and in her comfort level. This might be taking a few steps away from the cage, then walk back to cage, give treat, still calm tell her we're going to walk over there and hsve a look, stay in sight of cage. Go back to cage give a treat. Still happy do a circuit of the room then back to Cage. Keep expanding till you have shown her the whole house, the view out each window, but in short stretches with going back to cafe between. This helps them map the house, and know the way back to the cage from each location.

You are going to be the only one getting her out working on your relationship, you will be the only one feeding abd water and cage maintenance. But both of you will go over come from the front only, and say hello Birdie and give one treat then walk away, a million times a day.... lol...really the behavior people say to aim for 5o, try and have them be times she us quiet, but at first you just want to do lots of times a day. Probably she will pause any screaming when you come over anyway, so you can reinforcement of that by saying aren't you being a good quiet Birdie. If she will stay quiet for a few minutes come back and give another treat.

Also this one can have a big impact truly! A trainer helping a freind of mine with screaming had her do this. First thing as soon as you get up, go over and tell her good morning, if needed fir your routine tell her you will be back later to do breakfast and cage stuff. Give her a seed treat tho. Have husband also stop by to say good morning and give a treat. It's also very important whenever you leave to tell her your leaving and give a treat, as soon as you/husband return home go over and tell her hello and your back and give a treat. This is very important to make them feel included and to know when people are coming and going. Mornings are very important to birds, its when they reaffirm bonds, make sure tge flock survived the night. So if you can at least spend a half hour with them in the morning. Share breakfast, they can have a bite if egg, a bite of toast, a single piece of ceral, a spoonful of cooked oatmeal, a piece of fruit. Whatever you are having that us bird safe offer to share a piece.

This article might have tips thst will help you. Like creating routines and rituals, creating soothing/ patterning associations with soft music at bedtime. Comfort feeding.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok that was getting long.
This article is a good review if it wasn't one you read. It briefly covers problem behavior as well.

My first post, all those things should start helping screaming as well. Your bird had a lot of changes, new home, new husband, new routine, loss of buddy( your dad) any of those can start an issue, then unfortunately a cycle was started, and a lot of stress and frustration for all involved. But hey we are starting over! :) we are going to fix this!

( note, if you feel you aren't able to take the time, effort, and patience to get past this. Then I'm not going to make you feel shamed for re homing. I've seen what un happy people and parrots...and then parrots getting shoved outside, back bedrooms, ect...and I'm an advocate for the parrot )

Ok this is the general first starting place for behavioral screaming, maybe you have already been here done that, but for most situations it drops screaming by 75% right off the bat. And I don't how many people will find and read your thread.

Cage. Largest possible. My recommendation 32 length, 19-24 wide, 30-36 tall not including base. If yours is smaller and you can afford brand new go for it. If you are like me, then take your time searching for a nice used one, they are out there, just takes time to find them. Try Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, used furniture stores, yard sales, some pet stores have them in back if you ask them if they have any used( found a great one that way, as well as the others I listed, I slowly got 4 matching ones over time) I prefer white, let's most light in. I prefer flat tops, I set acrylic sheet across tge top, then easily can attach perches, set out bathing bowl, veggies plate. Ect.

Cage set up, in main part of home, back against a wall.. several kinds and types of perches. At least one perch as big around as your fingers making the ok sign and then spread apart an inch. You can have one or two that go the whole length but offer several short ones as well. Try and maximize the burd using the whole cage or as much as possible, observe and tweak . Will just say 5 toys , ( we have many DIY threads on toys)and more on the outside. Different types, easy to chew up, gcc like to untie knots, so burd safe leather strips tied loosely, maybe a new shoe string with metal or plastic end cut off, bird bagels, Cage shereder/ weavers, lots of kinds out there play around and cater to your burds preferences.

I consider the cage home base, and easy to turn into a play station by attaching stuff to the outside sides and tops. And why waste the space above the cage! I use ceiling hooks ( rated to take some weight) then I tie heavy weighted fishing line to hang down just sbove the birds head height when standing on cage top, swings, burd cargo nets, rope spirals, or stretch out those that have metal inside so keep shapes don't sag. All along I attach cut up pieces of chew toys, foraging stuff, treat cups ect.

Then I think its important for them to have a couple of placesif their own, with their own "furniture " to hang out, maybe one by a window, buy your favorite chair, in your office. I again use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang at comfortable height, because its cheap, doesn't take up floor space. I out a long one over my kitchen bar, one by my sliding door, one next to my chair . This firstly keeps them off my furniture! It works! Plus they can hang out be a part of things, feel they belong , indirect attention, don't have to always be in me, get to fly between and self directed choice. Also have chew stuff attached.

Out if cage time , as much as possible, make them part of your life. Minimum 4 hrs a day, ones with behavior issues trying for 6. Try for at least a half hour before you go to work.. at least 1-2 hours direct attention, the rest can be hanging out near you while you do stuff, with random hellos and treats. But more is better.

Baths, I offer daily a shallow dish , I use casserole dishes, with a couple of inches of water, their choices if they want a bath, occasionally I mist them, spray fine above them let the mist fall back down on them.

Food. If they aren't eating a wide variety of fresh veggies, as well as leafy greens like romaine, Swiss chard, bok cho, sprouts, occasionally cabbage , ect, 10% fruits , berries, pomegranate, mango, ect light on apple, very rare grape, occasionally nuts , walnuts, pine nuts, Pistachio, almond... some soaked and cooked legume it whole grains, lots of lists of psrrot safe foods, and even for those who like chop recipes.. quality pellets, and seed mix..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok for really established non stop screaming, I've found ignoring does nothing.

So what i do is try and prevent. First I answer flock calls, and initiate some on my own when I'm out of sight. It's usually advised to pick one , a phrase, a whistle. But my burds came to me at different times and had their own, so for Ta-dah its I'm here its ok, for Penny its a wolf whistle or hello, Pikachu wants kissy sounds, Pheobe it's all the above but she rarely contact calls. Alarm calls I come check out, I've found sometimes they see a hawk/ vultures, a cat, once a huge snake in the bush outside their window, I look, then I tell them its ok.

If I know screaming triggers or times I try to prevent, set them up with treats, foraging, encourage a bath.

Or as soon as start, I interrupt, redirect, move them, distraction. Try to switch them to talking if they are talkers, or whistle, beeps, kiss noises. When ever they make those during the day I rewarde and brag. As soon as they stop im rewarding, telling them how good quiet burds are. Give lots of treats for and on when quiet all the time.

I'm trying to create longer and longer patterns and time between screaming.

Ok plenty to get started. And to hear your thoughts

OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi. Thank you for the messages that you posted I really appreciate it. She has a very large cage right in the center of the house. The Kitchen and living area are all open. The cage has toys on top of the cage as well. And she has a cage in her own bedroom upstairs. She goes to bed same time every night and wakes up 7:30 sharp. So she gets plenty of sleep. And she has a travel cage with toys cause whenever I can she comes with me. She does like car rides, and walks out on nature trails with her leash ( she has been trained to wear that leash from the moment i got her)

Our normal routine is wake up, she goes to eat and Ill go to the office. When she's done eating that's when it all starts (the screaming). So from eating she used to fly to me in the office, because we do have a contact call and that's how she finds me in the house. Now its just screaming. Like up on her tippy toes, and feathers slick back. We do eat lunch together and around 2pm she use to take a nap, but not anymore for about 9 months now she just can't settle at any point during the day. Really the only time she's in her cage is if I need to go out or when cooking dinner. This has gotten progressively worse over time. Now we can't even eat dinner in peace cause its screaming the whole time. The sound of plates and pans sets her off. The dining area is also open to the kitchen and living area. And ill make sure she gets something to eat with us.

Its really sad to see. She has a well rounded diet. I have done so much research on her before I purchased and more after I got her 7 years ago. Along with the veggies fruits and nuts etc. She is also feed the Roudey Bush pellets, and seed for when she does tricks. She knows turn around, wings, give me a kiss, and wave.

I saw this behavior starting little over a year now and researched till I have literally read everything. I tried to curb it. But now its just endless to the point where I am calling my mother crying asking her to watch birdie over the weekend so I can have a break. She just seems to be calling for my Dad all the time. When I visit my parents or they come to my house she will go straight for him and stay quiet. I just think she chose her person. And my dad doesn't want anything to do with her.

I will have to seriously think all of this over for awhile. I can't stand to see her so unhappy all the time, and even though I don't show it but when she is screaming I can't help but feel very very stressed anymore. I am sure she can feel that. I try to take deep breathes, but its starting not to help.

I really appreciate your post, and will definitely take to into consideration. Thank you again

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wonderful to hear the basics covered.

A vet exam to rule out heath issue's.

The patterning to music. Interrupt, redirect. I found playing baby nursery songs rhymes on you tube helped, for mine especially Twinkle Twinkle little star. Working on rebuilding your bond.

The most difficult for me was my Quaker Pheobe, whome I bought because of the nonstop screaming. She screamed from sun up to sunset, it was her self soothing or her normal stare if being.... the general provide great life id hope would have lessened, didn't. It took a lot of work, as tactics shared, to get longer a d longer stretches and create new pattern and habits. But we did overcome it.

As soon as she comes to the perch, start handing her things and distract and reward. Take all the info and advice, me. Others, internet. and try to tweak to you and yours.

Some behavioral parrot people will do phone consultation, like Pamela Clark, and others I'm sure. Perhaps you can find one to do in home consultation.

I hate to hear when people give up,, because I don't know how to help self-defeating. But I do have tons of empathy for anyone dealing with screaming or behavior issues. And wish I was better able to help.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Bless you for caring so much, and trying so hard.

And Laura, THANK YOU for jumping in with such care and energy.

RFS, I really feel for you. I got my bird when I was in school, and I (we) have been retired a few years now. Over the decades, I had a few occasions where I faced some horribly daunting situations. How I got through them, bird in tow, I sometimes wonder, buttt... I do wish you well. And if you have to find a rescue or sanctuary, well... sometimes that just can't be helped.

I am so sorry.

I AM glad you're here. We will help and support you as much as we can.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
(I’m adding to my message after rereading the posts and answering some questions I had.)

It seems likely that your birdie misses her new special person, your dad, and she’s having to get used to your husband. That sounds like it would be scary to a hyper little conure.

you describe, your bird standing on tiptoes with feathers slicked back. That sounds like a fear or alarm posture. I find it helpful to look at my bird’s posture/body language when they’re being loud to figure out what’s going on. It sounds to me like your bird is scared or anxious a lot and she’s letting you know (partly because it’s her job to keep you safe).

If your bird is screaming from fear or an alarm call, is she afraid of something or alerting you to something? Did you get a scary tall lamp or Dustbuster or cat/dog when the screaming started? Did your neighbor get a truck with tools in it that she can see through the window? Did you have a baby? (Just trying out ideas of bird-upsetting things.). —-oops! I see you moved away from your parents and her special person (your dad) and got married! How upsetting! Lots of changes and jealousy, too! That would key up an already excitable green cheek.

Could birdie be generally upset about these changes, and constantly noticing other things she finds disturbing? Her stress tolerance is already mostly used up from all these changes, and not having her flock as she’s used to. And then, small scary things during her day really set her off and she HAS TO TELL YOU LOUDLY that you’re in danger!

I am sorry you’re going through this. I had a greencheek who could get too worked up and very overwrought; he’d than be set off so easily about almost anything. Sometimes I’d cover his cage so he would calm down. I really worked on helping him to feel safe and secure. He was very very upset when his neighbor, a very old Quaker parakeet, passed on.

Greencheek conures are tiny birds and I’d think they feel like they could be lunch. It must be anxiety provoking to be that tiny. she can’t fly away, and her flock is really changed. All she can do is scream to let you know she’s upset. I think she’s generally very keyed up and randomly scared or anxious and that’s why she’s screaming so much.

I would do a lot of reassuring and maybe make sure there’s a spot with a big toy or something she can hide behind. Help her to feel comforted. That’s my take on it. Of course she’s insecure. Help her to feel safe, and like she is still your favorite bird, and to re-bond with her now that your dad is not in the household. After all, an enormous human has invaded your happy home and is taking much of your time from her! Boy, do you ever owe her big! Poor birdie.

I hope you can help her to feel better.

Last edited:
OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
(I’m adding to my message after rereading the posts and answering some questions I had.)

It seems likely that your birdie misses her new special person, your dad, and she’s having to get used to your husband. That sounds like it would be scary to a hyper little conure.

you describe, your bird standing on tiptoes with feathers slicked back. That sounds like a fear or alarm posture. I find it helpful to look at my bird’s posture/body language when they’re being loud to figure out what’s going on. It sounds to me like your bird is scared or anxious a lot and she’s letting you know (partly because it’s her job to keep you safe).

If your bird is screaming from fear or an alarm call, is she afraid of something or alerting you to something? Did you get a scary tall lamp or Dustbuster or cat/dog when the screaming started? Did your neighbor get a truck with tools in it that she can see through the window? Did you have a baby? (Just trying out ideas of bird-upsetting things.). —-oops! I see you moved away from your parents and her special person (your dad) and got married! How upsetting! Lots of changes and jealousy, too! That would key up an already excitable green cheek.

Could birdie be generally upset about these changes, and constantly noticing other things she finds disturbing? Her stress tolerance is already mostly used up from all these changes, and not having her flock as she’s used to. And then, small scary things during her day really set her off and she HAS TO TELL YOU LOUDLY that you’re in danger!

I am sorry you’re going through this. I had a greencheek who could get too worked up and very overwrought; he’d than be set off so easily about almost anything. Sometimes I’d cover his cage so he would calm down. I really worked on helping him to feel safe and secure. He was very very upset when his neighbor, a very old Quaker parakeet, passed on.

Greencheek conures are tiny birds and I’d think they feel like they could be lunch. It must be anxiety provoking to be that tiny. she can’t fly away, and her flock is really changed. All she can do is scream to let you know she’s upset. I think she’s generally very keyed up and randomly scared or anxious and that’s why she’s screaming so much.

I would do a lot of reassuring and maybe make sure there’s a spot with a big toy or something she can hide behind. Help her to feel comforted. That’s my take on it. Of course she’s insecure. Help her to feel safe, and like she is still your favorite bird, and to re-bond with her now that your dad is not in the household. After all, an enormous human has invaded your happy home and is taking much of your time from her! Boy, do you ever owe her big! Poor birdie.

I hope you can help her to feel better.
That’s what I’m thinking splitting up the “flock” has had a huge affect on her. I try to help her feel safe. I have tried covering her cage to calm her, but I stopped that when it seemed it was making it worse. She is the only pet in the house and no kids.
She was very use to an action packed house with my parents and 3 other siblings (we are a very loud family) There was always large gatherings on the weekends too. So when I moved out with just me, my husband and her things got really quiet and then she started displaying this behavior.

I have always been calm through her screaming lately. Never displayed anything threatening to her. I knew that wasn’t going to help if I yelled back. But now I just end up in tears. And some days she acts as if her is terrified of me. That hurts my feels a lot. I will try to work with her some more, but at some point I’m not going to be able to handle it if it continues. I’m now starting to think can we both live like this for another 20 plus years? We seem to be feeding off of each others mental anguish at this point and it’s heart breaking.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I am gonna be the ass here...perhaps give/sell conure to the dad....? They obviously bonded. Maybe the bird picked him and you should start looking for a new bird? Just saying......Sorry if that comes off harsh but your dad and the bird both happy.... and you get a fresh start. Not like you cant ever visit!

OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I am gonna be the ass here...perhaps give/sell conure to the dad....? They obviously bonded. Maybe the bird picked him and you should start looking for a new bird? Just saying......Sorry if that comes off harsh but your dad and the bird both happy.... and you get a fresh start. Not like you cant ever visit!
My parents have said they would take her, but she won’t be coming out of the cage. I can’t do that to her. She is so use to being out 10 hours a day and free flighted. My dad has no interest in caring for her ( go figure she bonded with someone who could care less about her 🙄).

I talked with a bird sanctuary asking for help also. They told me a fresh start with a new family might help, but I am having a hard time with giving her up like that.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
You mentioned before that Birdie knows some tricks - will she still work on tricks with you? I wonder if there are activities she'd do with you or at the same time you are doing the same thing nearby?

If you think nothing seems to be clicking for either of you and you need to start over as if she's brand new to your house - which if you think about it, she kind of is, to your quieter house and smaller family without her celebrity crush - do you think for your emotional support it might help to even think of her as a new bird? New chapter? Even more drastic, new name and start over?

She feels kind of like a high school best friend you don't see until after college, who has new friends and different interests and goes by her full name instead of how you know her, but the two of you have such long history so it feels awkward and familiar and bittersweet all together.

I can feel in your words how much you love Birdie and how crushed you are at this turn in your relationship. I agree that there's still a very good chance you can regain a good relationship even if it's a different one that what you had a year ago. Mostly I just wanted to give you a big hug.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My parents have said they would take her, but she won’t be coming out of the cage. I can’t do that to her. She is so use to being out 10 hours a day and free flighted. My dad has no interest in caring for her ( go figure she bonded with someone who could care less about her 🙄).

I talked with a bird sanctuary asking for help also. They told me a fresh start with a new family might help, but I am having a hard time with giving her up like that.
yeah ok I rescind my advice if he isn't gonna take care of..... That was not expected.....

OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
You mentioned before that Birdie knows some tricks - will she still work on tricks with you? I wonder if there are activities she'd do with you or at the same time you are doing the same thing nearby?

If you think nothing seems to be clicking for either of you and you need to start over as if she's brand new to your house - which if you think about it, she kind of is, to your quieter house and smaller family without her celebrity crush - do you think for your emotional support it might help to even think of her as a new bird? New chapter? Even more drastic, new name and start over?

She feels kind of like a high school best friend you don't see until after college, who has new friends and different interests and goes by her full name instead of how you know her, but the two of you have such long history so it feels awkward and familiar and bittersweet all together.

I can feel in your words how much you love Birdie and how crushed you are at this turn in your relationship. I agree that there's still a very good chance you can regain a good relationship even if it's a different one that what you had a year ago. Mostly I just wanted to give you a big hug.
Thank you😌.
She still does tricks. Especially after I do her nails, she knows that tricks and treats are coming next. And the high school friend analogy is a good way to explain it. I will do my best and give it some time to see if we both can adjust.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Parrots are so sensitive to our stress. Even though I ( know ) i ( forgot). I had real bad news last Friday, then my car broke down, some family drama. It very much effected my flock. Yesterday every burd bit me ( this never happens) they were all screamy... I posted about it and has the 💡 go off. Made them warm dinner, made a big effort today what a difference.

You've posted how stressed and tearful you are. Even if Birdie is the cause of everything ( but I bet you have more going on) you need to find a way to recoop/recharge, pamper yourself, destress. Not only do you need it, it will help your burd too.

Another article, maybe something will connect with you.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I do Take Issue with HeatherG's comment.... GCCs, actually any conures are yes small/medium but they are literally one step down behind corvids, and raptors.....They are super aggressive if another bird challenges them and sometimes the conure gets it's butt kicked......but usually their ferocity out matches even much larger birds.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, a lot of conures get hurt taking on larger birds.... But they will take on larger birds...and......................'kinda sorta' tend to win because the other bird is like "what is this demon?"

In short GCCs and other conures aren't really afraid of anything human or bird wise even as babys.....at least that's my experience.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
HeatherG was speaking from her experience with a GCC that had a lot of anxiety that was worse after a change in their household/flock. And maybe Birdie isn't scared of the current situation in a literal sense, but I agree with HeatherG's main point that prey birds can be more sensitive to stress.

OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Parrots are so sensitive to our stress. Even though I ( know ) i ( forgot). I had real bad news last Friday, then my car broke down, some family drama. It very much effected my flock. Yesterday every burd bit me ( this never happens) they were all screamy... I posted about it and has the 💡 go off. Made them warm dinner, made a big effort today what a difference.

You've posted how stressed and tearful you are. Even if Birdie is the cause of everything ( but I bet you have more going on) you need to find a way to recoop/recharge, pamper yourself, destress. Not only do you need it, it will help your burd too.

Another article, maybe something will connect with you.
I will defiantly read that. The more I think about it I have been so stressed the past year since I married. I had to plan a wedding during COVID which resulted changing of venues two weeks before the wedding. My job closed down because of COVID so then I had to worry about being jobless and getting married, and while on top of that I was doing everything myself on building our first house! I had my first panic attack a few months ago to the point an ambulance came. I thought I was having a heart attack! My husband is a workaholic a lot of the time (god love him haha) so I ended up doing a lot of this on my own.

I thank everybody in this thread for pitching in and revealing all this to me. Sometimes it takes A different perspective to open one’s eyes on these changes of events over time.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh dang, that's a lot on your plate in a short time! If Birdie was previously really close with you she almost certainly knows how worried you've been. And then leaving the party house with Super Fun Dad too ;)

Kudos to you for putting puzzle pieces together! And just getting through ! I felt anxious just reading that list of Covid accomplishments and stressors!

Most Reactions

Latest posts