Im lost on what to do with my Conure

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I will defiantly read that. The more I think about it I have been so stressed the past year since I married. I had to plan a wedding during COVID which resulted changing of venues two weeks before the wedding. My job closed down because of COVID so then I had to worry about being jobless and getting married, and while on top of that I was doing everything myself on building our first house! I had my first panic attack a few months ago to the point an ambulance came. I thought I was having a heart attack! My husband is a workaholic a lot of the time (god love him haha) so I ended up doing a lot of this on my own.

I thank everybody in this thread for pitching in and revealing all this to me. Sometimes it takes A different perspective to open oneā€™s eyes on these changes of events over time.
That's a heck o lot for you to go through. Big hugs.

With animals/parrots I think we often get reflected the issues we need to work on in ourselves. Challenges give us a chance to grow and it can be uncomfortable. Gosh this is starting to sound like a lode of sap ;) but I believe it! When I rescued Penny one of her biggest issues was being shut down ...you guessed it , that was also a big issue in my life at the time( just ended a long relationship, mg kept me house bound, we had both given up)

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I really hope that things work out for you, and your conure. May I ask about your conures diet, sleep habits, and some of the basic things? Sometimes if I accidentally disrupt either of my parrots sleep they can be quite difficult to handle the next day.

OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Oh dang, that's a lot on your plate in a short time! If Birdie was previously really close with you she almost certainly knows how worried you've been. And then leaving the party house with Super Fun Dad too ;)

Kudos to you for putting puzzle pieces together! And just getting through ! I felt anxious just reading that list of Covid accomplishments and stressors!
That's a heck o lot for you to go through. Big hugs.

With animals/parrots I think we often get reflected the issues we need to work on in ourselves. Challenges give us a chance to grow and it can be uncomfortable. Gosh this is starting to sound like a lode of sap ;) but I believe it! When I rescued Penny one of her biggest issues was being shut down ...you guessed it , that was also a big issue in my life at the time( just ended a long relationship, mg kept me house bound, we had both given up)
Everybody on here has been a much bigger help with my perspective on whatā€™s going on. The endless Google links I was looking up were not helping at all. Though she is still bonded to my dad I will now try to work with her knowing I added to the situation also. I have hope now that this will most likely work out šŸ˜

OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I really hope that things work out for you, and your conure. May I ask about your conures diet, sleep habits, and some of the basic things? Sometimes if I accidentally disrupt either of my parrots sleep they can be quite difficult to handle the next day.
She gets 10 hours of sleep every day. She has her own bed room. Her diet has a wide variety of vegetables fruits her pellets and seed for when she does tricks. She loves going on outdoor walks with me and I take her wherever I can. It always has been me and the bird together. My family jokes about it haha.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I will defiantly read that. The more I think about it I have been so stressed the past year since I married. I had to plan a wedding during COVID which resulted changing of venues two weeks before the wedding. My job closed down because of COVID so then I had to worry about being jobless and getting married, and while on top of that I was doing everything myself on building our first house! I had my first panic attack a few months ago to the point an ambulance came. I thought I was having a heart attack! My husband is a workaholic a lot of the time (god love him haha) so I ended up doing a lot of this on my own.

I thank everybody in this thread for pitching in and revealing all this to me. Sometimes it takes A different perspective to open oneā€™s eyes on these changes of events over time.
I am sorry you are all having such a hard time. I was wondering if Birdie could go to your dad but thought you wrote that he wasnā€™t interested. All I can say is, try to be aware of her body language when sheā€™s screaming and see if you can find a helpful response.

I am not sure that Iā€™m wrong about birdieā€™s fearfulness. Standing stretched out on tiptoes with flattened feathers sound frightened. Sheā€™s already upset and sounds like my Oscar: little things just freaked him out. And I get that way if Iā€™m too stressed in general: small things that shouldnā€™t matter are more upsetting.

Honestly I canā€™t recommend you do this or that. Just try to be aware that sheā€™s stressed out and everything is a big deal to her. Thatā€™s how it seems to me, anyhow.

Thank you for putting in such an effort for her.

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Standing stretched out on tiptoes with flattened feathers sound frightened

And the context of seeing mama anxious could be a cause of her own fear, especially with something like panic attack that must have been so scary to go through (for both of you!)

Here's hoping you and Birdie will be able to figure this out together ā¤ļø

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
She gets 10 hours of sleep every day. She has her own bed room. Her diet has a wide variety of vegetables fruits her pellets and seed for when she does tricks. She loves going on outdoor walks with me and I take her wherever I can. It always has been me and the bird together. My family jokes about it haha.
It sounds like you love your conure, and are taking great care of her. Itā€™s adorable that you take her for outdoor walks with you. You definitely have a special bond with her.

Itā€™s so hard with parrots as itā€™s spring (hormones), conures contact call more so then other parrots as they live in huge flocks, and are very social. Sometimes something as simple as a nail polish color can make a bird skittish, or vocal (Yes, this has happened to me).

Donā€™t get to hard on yourself. You are doing a wonderful job.

OP
RFSweitzer

RFSweitzer

Mar 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
It sounds like you love your conure, and are taking great care of her. Itā€™s adorable that you take her for outdoor walks with you. You definitely have a special bond with her.

Itā€™s so hard with parrots as itā€™s spring (hormones), conures contact call more so then other parrots as they live in huge flocks, and are very social. Sometimes something as simple as a nail polish color can make a bird skittish, or vocal (Yes, this has happened to me).

Donā€™t get to hard on yourself. You are doing a wonderful job.
I learned about the nail polish about 3 years ago. Going out to a New Years party I had gold nail polish on and oh boy she did not like it. Wanted to chew my fingers off. And thank you so much šŸ˜Š

Most Reactions

Latest posts