Impacted Crop and Possible Respiratory Infection

MiloL0v3R

Apr 11, 2023
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlet
Hi!

I may or may not have just joined because Iā€™m in a panic and I need some advice lol. Today I went to the vet because my baby Milo had been sneezing, puffed up and sleeping in her food bowl. The vet said she massaged most of the big lumps out of Milos crop and prescribed some medicine. She also suspected she has an upper respiratory infection. She kind of scared me because she said since Milos such a small bird her health can deteriorate quickly. She also gave me a handout and advised me to make a little hospital cage for Milo. She took some blood from Milo and said I should be getting the test results on thursday. My vet also told me to feed her wet foods like rice. If anyone has any advice on how to make Milo recover a lot quicker that would be really helpful! (What foods she should eat? etc). If anyone has a similar story Iā€™d really like to hear it iā€™m just a little freaked out right now šŸ˜­.

2C855FDA-97CD-48C6-8836-AC9F4A689FE2.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If the vet is a Certified Avian Vet, I would follow the advice and meds given.
If not, try to see one.

Parrots hide very well outward signs of Illness, but what can't be hidden is weight. A sick parrot will start to drop weight off rapidly. I would get an inexpensive kitchen scale that reads out in grams, fashion some kind of perch for it, and start weighing him every day, same time every day, and best is in the AM, after the first big poop and before breakfast, so you can judge his weight uniformly. A drop of more then 2% or a steady decline means urgent care from the vet. Good Luck!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi!

I may or may not have just joined because Iā€™m in a panic and I need some advice lol. Today I went to the vet because my baby Milo had been sneezing, puffed up and sleeping in her food bowl. The vet said she massaged most of the big lumps out of Milos crop and prescribed some medicine. She also suspected she has an upper respiratory infection. She kind of scared me because she said since Milos such a small bird her health can deteriorate quickly. She also gave me a handout and advised me to make a little hospital cage for Milo. She took some blood from Milo and said I should be getting the test results on thursday. My vet also told me to feed her wet foods like rice. If anyone has any advice on how to make Milo recover a lot quicker that would be really helpful! (What foods she should eat? etc). If anyone has a similar story Iā€™d really like to hear it iā€™m just a little freaked out right now šŸ˜­.

View attachment 49263
Did Milo recover from her illness? I hope so. It's so hard to remain calm when your precious baby's life is at risk.

Most Reactions