Importing from US to UK

shaun113

Dec 3, 2009
Scotish /English borders UK
Parrots
At present only a pair of BH caiques
Hi
First donā€™t get me wrong I do not wish to catch wild birds and import them to the United Kingdom. I am envious of the choice and quality of the birds available in the States and Canada. I was wondering if anyone had imported parrots from The US/Canada to the UK. I realize there are rules and regulations but I donā€™t seem to be able to find them or get information from the authorities. First it would be a long flight (12 hours) and I have no experience of transporting Parrots so if cruel or impractical I will give up now. If the birds would be OK (opinions welcome) I would seriously consider this as I cannot locate what I need in the UK but there seem to be plenty over there and beautiful examples. I am not attempting to import lots of birdā€™s just one pair as I cannot seem to locate them here.
Shaun

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'm surprised you cannot find them there. What kind of parrots were you looking for?

Such a flight is quite a bit for a bird to go through and there are many risks. I don't think it is cruel, and not entirely impractical ... or at least not impossible as some people do it but it may border on impractical.

Would you be coming to America to pick them out and pick them up? If not there are additional risks, not the least of which is you would not really know what you are getting.

Lastly I don't know of many breeders or bird sellers who would like the idea of shipping them that far - any one that does take kindly to that idea to quickly is interested only in money and not in the health or quality of their birds so they may not be a good source in the long run. This is a generalization - I have no doubt there are SOME wonderful people willing to have their birds shipped, but there is no way for you to know which they are beforehand.

All in all I think it is possible and doable, but I cannot believe it would be a good option, certainly not the best. There have to be other sources in Europe that would be easier.

OP
S

shaun113

Dec 3, 2009
Parrots
Thank you for your comments and views and I realise this may sound a strange idea but I thaught I would try
My quest is to find a good pair of Magna Double yellow head Amazons, I have only seen one in the flesh and they are beautiful and intelligent parrots. The only problem is this was 15 years ago, all I can find so far in the UK are DYH Amazons but the yellow is patchy and not that much coverage or colour. Finding them in Europe via web sites has so far drawn a blank but the US sites appear to have some beautiful birds. I have never had an Amazon before as I always compare them to the one I saw all those years ago. I went for Cockatoos but now with the children away I can indulge myself but Cockatoos are a bit to dusty for my wifeā€™s asthma (mild) and I thought I would try to track down the Magma DYH as my next large parrot. If it is going to be a strain on the birds I will give it a miss but if possible I was hoping to get some recommendations from the site as to where to find reputable breeders. I cannot afford to come over, buy the birds, transport them back and build a new stronger Aviary so some of it would have to be on trust.
Shaun

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
I'm in the carrier pigeon re homing business. After verifying that the bird is going to a safe home I'll gladly release one in your general direction.

OP
S

shaun113

Dec 3, 2009
Parrots
Thanks for the offer but the small village I am in has its own racing pigeon club and quite a few of my mates have offered to try to convert me to pigeons. Tempting as it is I must decline on the grounds of safety as a lot of pigeons are going missing due to birds of prey. I am one of the few who love to see all the different hawks flying about but this is not a view held by the pigeon community. I love all birds but I am afraid I am a parrot man. Some of the fancy pigeons are nice but apparently they are not "proper" pigeons and would not last with the birds of prey. That and her indoors does not want to be a pigeon widow like quite a few wives in the village. But if you want a bit of exercise for them if I find what I am after you could pop in a few pigeons and I would happily release them once here.(not serious even pigeons would not make that flight without jet assistance).

Shaun

OP
S

shaun113

Dec 3, 2009
Parrots
Well unless anyone has advice to the contary it looks like I cannot get my Magna DYH so will have to go back to whatever I can find in the UK. Shame as we only seem to have over priced inferior birds unless any of the Brits reading this know different ?

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
really no bird game goin' on across the pond........sounds like another business opportunity.... wheres my straw i gotta get some nest going.

OP
S

shaun113

Dec 3, 2009
Parrots
Well any member that know of any breeders anywhere in Europe let me know or any contacts or forums. Will give up on this thread as it was just an outside chance and looks like a looser.
Shaun

PONTIAC

Oct 18, 2010
hi.....does anyone out there know how i can get some pigeons to the uk from america..........any contact would be helpfull..thanks.......BODIE.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
There are lots of breeders in the UK and several of them are situated in North Wales.

I would suggest purchasing Parrot magazine from the newsagent as it has all of the reputable breeders in there.

Most Reactions