Indian ringneck leg injury

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks green female and blue male
I got Durra on August 9 she came with a limp. Itā€™s going to be a month now and she still limps. She hops around sometimes using her other leg. She does walk sparingly and her grip is good. And she never stretches it out. Iā€™m scared itā€™s broken and there are no avian vets in my country. What should I do? Sheā€™s on a good diet of fruits vegetables finch seeds. She hates chop, so itā€™s all big pieces. There are no pellets in my country either only for chickens and pigeons.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Durra! Very difficult to diagnose bone break vs chronic muscle/ligament issue without X-Ray. Some fractures are noticeable and set at unusual angles. Are you able to post images of both legs for comparison?

Other than setting up cage for maximum comfort, may not be much more you can do. It is possible to see improvement over time if an injury occurred.

Probably very expensive but can you mail-order pellets?

OP
CricketIRN

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Welcome to you and Durra! Very difficult to diagnose bone break vs chronic muscle/ligament issue without X-Ray. Some fractures are noticeable and set at unusual angles. Are you able to post images of both legs for comparison?

Other than setting up cage for maximum comfort, may not be much more you can do. It is possible to see improvement over time if an injury occurred.

Probably very expensive but can you mail-order pellets?
I live in Iraq, Iā€™ve spent the better part of three weeks looking for them in Iraq and no I canā€™t mail order, I donā€™t think they ship to my country.
thatā€™s the thing about the leg it looks normal. No discoloration other than from her vegetables. No swelling no flaking. I did find out she was on an all sunflower diet. But she eats very well now.
These are a few days after she arrived. Her cage is big enough for her and I did remove the plastic and wooden perches from it.

Attachments

• 9EE29A16-E94D-40D2-AB39-FC45C451947D.jpeg
    9EE29A16-E94D-40D2-AB39-FC45C451947D.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 097D9ACA-AE33-4E9E-BC42-641C7EE79CE4.jpeg
    097D9ACA-AE33-4E9E-BC42-641C7EE79CE4.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 120

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hi and welcome! As Scott mentioned, extremely hard to make any diagnosis without an x-ray to rule out any broken bones. You can however make sure to give her the maximum comfort.

Everything else would be a heavy assumption. If her bone was broken before, it most likely healed by now, but it is highly possible then that the tissue around it is possibly inflamated or even the nerves are injured. Are there any kind of vets at all where you live, not just avian? Our senegal had leg issues as well due to previous broken/cracked bone she had as a chick possibly (at least that's what the xray has shown), it comes to her from time to time and we administer some medicines, and I ask about the vets because just maaaybe you might get some pain/anti inflamation meds for your feathered friend and see if that helps at the least.

OP
CricketIRN

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Hi and welcome! As Scott mentioned, extremely hard to make any diagnosis without an x-ray to rule out any broken bones. You can however make sure to give her the maximum comfort.

Everything else would be a heavy assumption. If her bone was broken before, it most likely healed by now, but it is highly possible then that the tissue around it is possibly inflamated or even the nerves are injured. Are there any kind of vets at all where you live, not just avian? Our senegal had leg issues as well due to previous broken/cracked bone she had as a chick possibly (at least that's what the xray has shown), it comes to her from time to time and we administer some medicines, and I ask about the vets because just maaaybe you might get some pain/anti inflamation meds for your feathered friend and see if that helps at the least.
Vets here treat livestock mostly and I live in an area where good vets are not available. It doesnā€™t look like sheā€™s in a lot of pain sheā€™s making progress actually. Should I just leave one perch in her cage so she doesnā€™t move around a lot? I do give her mint to calm her. But I donā€™t have any experience with meds. You have to understand here they donā€™t vaccinate or give shots. The most Iā€™ll get is a vitamin drop in her water.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
Vets here treat livestock mostly and I live in an area where good vets are not available. It doesnā€™t look like sheā€™s in a lot of pain sheā€™s making progress actually. Should I just leave one perch in her cage so she doesnā€™t move around a lot? I do give her mint to calm her. But I donā€™t have any experience with meds. You have to understand here they donā€™t vaccinate or give shots. The most Iā€™ll get is a vitamin drop in her water.
I wasn't even thinking of shots, but rather something you could give her directly in the beak. It's really good if she's making progress already!

I have read about Cayenne pepper that it does wonders for pain/inflamation, so if there's any possibilities you could offer her that (if it is available to you at all, that is.). While it's super hot for us humans, for parrots would be a real treat.

You could set up some flat perches for her also, see if she prefers those more. Could help her to rest her feet.

OP
CricketIRN

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
I wasn't even thinking of shots, but rather something you could give her directly in the beak. It's really good if she's making progress already!

I have read about Cayenne pepper that it does wonders for pain/inflamation, so if there's any possibilities you could offer her that (if it is available to you at all, that is.). While it's super hot for us humans, for parrots would be a real treat.

You could set up some flat perches for her also, see if she prefers those more. Could help her to rest her feet.
Thank you for your advice. What do you mean flat perches? She does come out of her cage to sit on the top but she lifts her foot even than.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thank you for your advice. What do you mean flat perches? She does come out of her cage to sit on the top but she lifts her foot even than.
You can use just a piece of plank securely attached in the inside of the cage when she's not outside, like this:

1630577502172.png

(not my bird nor image!)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thanks for the lovely images! Appears Durra is capable of using both feet in second pic so you are not managing a highly debilitating process. Noticing progress since August 9 suggests cause may be soft-tissue injury in process of healing. Hopefully!!

Do you have access to falconers in your area? I recall past discussions recommending them for basic health care needs.

OP
CricketIRN

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Thanks for the lovely images! Appears Durra is capable of using both feet in second pic so you are not managing a highly debilitating process. Noticing progress since August 9 suggests cause may be soft-tissue injury in process of healing. Hopefully!!

Do you have access to falconers in your area? I recall past discussions recommending them for basic health care needs.
The nearest falconer that Iā€™ve heard of is 4 hours away in the middle of the desert. šŸ¤£
but Iā€™ll keep that in mind. Thank you for making me feel better about this whole process. Itā€™s really stressed me out.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

The nearest falconer that Iā€™ve heard of is 4 hours away in the middle of the desert. šŸ¤£
but Iā€™ll keep that in mind. Thank you for making me feel better about this whole process. Itā€™s really stressed me out.
Well that's a long distance for uncertain care of your IRN!!
So happy to help you in any way possible!! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts