Indian Ringneck parrot is Afraid of leaving the room, Family and just about anything.

LokiTheParrot

Dec 8, 2021
Parrots
Green Male Indian Ringneck parrot (About 1 year and 4 months old)
Hello Everyone hope you are all well, this is my first post in this but Ive read many great things on this website so thats why today I wanted to ask for some advice regarding my parrot Loki.

I got Loki just about a year ago when he was 6 months, he was a very timid Indian Ringneck, easily frightened of just about everything and people. Not sure of his history with the previous owner or what they did. After some basic taming, teaching him to step up, eat from my hand and sit on my shoulder or take a shower and even being one of the sweetest talkers ive ever heard, and not flying away from me, thats about where his taming has stopped.

A year later, he is still afraid to leave the room, as soon as I tell him to step up and try take him out of room he flies back to the Curtain perch or his cage (hes always out of his cage beside sleep time). He flies away from family members even though theyve been very soft towards him, tried to feed him. He is afraid of a lot in general and I find it hard to get him used to these things if he flies off.

It makes me a little upset seeing him still scared a year later and frustrated that I cant tame him fully like I see with so many people and their beautiful Parrots. I just wish he would stop feeling frightened, gets along with my family and can leave the room or stop being afraid of objects as its impossible to train him further when he keeps flying away as soon as he feels scared of something.

I love my parrot Loki, and I will not give up on him, that is why I really hope someone can help me with any advice on how I should change this situation and make him more happy and confident towards everything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

Attachments

• 20211021_111645.jpg
    20211021_111645.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 84

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Warm wing hug welcome to you and Loki

Wish we can just ask Loki what he is afraid of. But since he doesn't speak human, I can only assume the worst. I have seen a rescued dog in a new home. He was abused from his former owner. So he run to hide every time when someone shout or raise an object in their hand.

The first 3 months, he literally hide under a table accept when he come out to eat. Then further last 5 years, he never set foot outside the fence. It was sad to see how frighten his body shows (tense shoulder, dropped tail, running back to the house) at the sight of opening of the gate. But currently, he is like any good behavior dog.
Once inside the house, he is relax and allows a visitor like me to gently touch his head.

From this story, I think Loki feels safe in your room. He probably had learned that danger is out there from experience.

However, confident can be rebuild. He certainly is lucky to have you. There is a long road to recovery ahead of him. There are many ways to create a pack leader trusting bond. You probably have done many of this already but I will list all I could think of out, to find how far along this path is Loki? what have Loki tried so far?

....when call his name, does he turn to look when called?
.....total recall?
.....look at his eyes and be sensitive to his emotions, talk to him and he answers
......talk to or read to him
.......eat near him and he eat too
......praise him for positive reinforcement
.....teach him simple commands like good boy and No, to discourage unwanted behavior
....potty training
....teaching new tricks for bonding
.....take him out for a walk outdoor in a bubble carrier
.....identify his favorite food for training sessions
....giving treats or playing with him
...headscratch
....spend time relaxing around him at least 4 hours a day, 2 in the morning and 2 before sun set. Then he needs to sleep.
....say good night before you put him to bed

Since he doesn't speak human, we may have to listen to Loki's body language to understand him. This link describes bird's body language in details very well.

www.petcoach.co

PetCoach - Ask a Vet Online 24/7

Veterinarians and other pet experts are standing by to answer all your health, nutrition and behavior questions! Chat live now about your dog, cat, or any other pet.
www.petcoach.co
www.petcoach.co

I also like this total recall training video.

D

Deleted member 42416

Warm wing hug welcome to you and Loki

Wish we can just ask Loki what he is afraid of. But since he doesn't speak human, I can only assume the worst. I have seen a rescued dog in a new home. He was abused from his former owner. So he run to hide every time when someone shout or raise an object in their hand.

The first 3 months, he literally hide under a table accept when he come out to eat. Then further last 5 years, he never set foot outside the fence. It was sad to see how frighten his body shows (tense shoulder, dropped tail, running back to the house) at the sight of opening of the gate. But currently, he is like any good behavior dog.
Once inside the house, he is relax and allows a visitor like me to gently touch his head.

From this story, I think Loki feels safe in your room. He probably had learned that danger is out there from experience.

However, confident can be rebuild. He certainly is lucky to have you. There is a long road to recovery ahead of him. There are many ways to create a pack leader trusting bond. You probably have done many of this already but I will list all I could think of out, to find how far along this path is Loki? what have Loki tried so far?

....when call his name, does he turn to look when called?
.....total recall?
.....look at his eyes and be sensitive to his emotions, talk to him and he answers
......talk to or read to him
.......eat near him and he eat too
......praise him for positive reinforcement
.....teach him simple commands like good boy and No, to discourage unwanted behavior
....potty training
....teaching new tricks for bonding
.....take him out for a walk outdoor in a bubble carrier
.....identify his favorite food for training sessions
....giving treats or playing with him
...headscratch
....spend time relaxing around him at least 4 hours a day, 2 in the morning and 2 before sun set. Then he needs to sleep.
....say good night before you put him to bed

Since he doesn't speak human, we may have to listen to Loki's body language to understand him. This link describes bird's body language in details very well.

www.petcoach.co

PetCoach - Ask a Vet Online 24/7

Veterinarians and other pet experts are standing by to answer all your health, nutrition and behavior questions! Chat live now about your dog, cat, or any other pet.
www.petcoach.co
www.petcoach.co

I also like this total recall training video.

Emeral, beautifully put!

If I may add: Quality time is great, but sometimes it is important for your parrot to just to be around you and the family during quieter times (i.e no family conflict, very loud music or tv, etc). You can even move the cage for a few hours to where you are, especially during mundane tasks. They LOVE to watch us do things: whether it’s watching tv, eating, folding laundry, playing monopoly, or cleaning a closet. It is ok to move the cage to a new location during these times. Birdy will start to view you and the family as his flock. He will realize that flock territory encompasses other parts of the house. This can be done incrementally (start with moving cage for 15 min to an adjacent room while you do mundane task). Then move him back to his room. You can increase the time and distance the cage is moved once he seems comfortable. When he’s comfortable then allow him the option of coming out his own.

Once he knows his flock and territory, he will be more comfortable faster.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts