Injured Budgie Foot

Alicia Garcia

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Hello, I'm a new bird owner since of June of this year. I own 2 budgies that were a gift from my dad after my sister begged for them. Just about 20ish minutes or so, I was letting my female budgie back inside her cage when I didn't see her foot and closed the door on it. She screamed and when I looked at it, her back toe was bleeding. My mom decided to use peroxide to stop the bleeding against my wishes. Unfortunately, we are low income and do not have the money for a vet. I didn't even know we were getting birds until my sister told me. I want to know what I can do because I'm very worried and I feel so guilty. I didn't mean for it to happen! This is what her foot looks like. Ignore that she's on a dowel perch. I plan changing the cage and replacing the perches for natural when I get the money. But help! What do I do??

Attachments

• 20230811_191037.jpg
    20230811_191037.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 20

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
It looks very minor, I don't think you need to worry about a vet visit for something so minor. All they would do anyway is clean it (which you've done) and maybe, MAAAYBE give you antibiotics, but for something that tiny I really doubt they'd go that far.

Just keep an eye on your little baby and make sure she doesn't chew at it obsessively, and that she doesn't seem to be favoring it. It looks like she's gripping on the dowel but one thing I like to do when I'm worried about injured feet is ask the bird to step up and make sure their foot is actually gripping my finger, not just resting on it. You want to make sure nothing is broken or sprained.

Edit to add: if your budgies don't step up, you can gently towel the injured bird and (GENTLY) rotate your hand so that the bird's feet are pointed upward. If you put your finger by their feet they will naturally grip because the action of gripping something when upside down gives them confidence. This is stressful, so I only recommend you do this if there's no other way to verify the bird can grip.

OP
A

Alicia Garcia

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
It looks very minor, I don't think you need to worry about a vet visit for something so minor. All they would do anyway is clean it (which you've done) and maybe, MAAAYBE give you antibiotics, but for something that tiny I really doubt they'd go that far.

Just keep an eye on your little baby and make sure she doesn't chew at it obsessively, and that she doesn't seem to be favoring it. It looks like she's gripping on the dowel but one thing I like to do when I'm worried about injured feet is ask the bird to step up and make sure their foot is actually gripping my finger, not just resting on it. You want to make sure nothing is broken or sprained.

Edit to add: if your budgies don't step up, you can gently towel the injured bird and (GENTLY) rotate your hand so that the bird's feet are pointed upward. If you put your finger by their feet they will naturally grip because the action of gripping something when upside down gives them confidence. This is stressful, so I only recommend you do this if there's no other way to verify the bird can grip.
Thank you! I am still new to this so I got a good scare but will try this and update when I can! Tysm again!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Quick note if you end up toweling and flipping your bird over: don't squeeze, and don't keep your bird upside down for long. Their air sacs are delicate and you don't want to accidentally suffocate them. Hopefully your baby steps up and you don't have to go the toweling route though :)

Keep us updated!

OP
A

Alicia Garcia

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Quick note if you end up toweling and flipping your bird over: don't squeeze, and don't keep your bird upside down for long. Their air sacs are delicate and you don't want to accidentally suffocate them. Hopefully your baby steps up and you don't have to go the toweling route though :)

Keep us updated!
Noted! Tysm! Currently, she's sleeping right now but I'm keeping her near me for the night. My mom won't let me check her grip until the morning so anything I can do in meantime is helpful! Again, thxs!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Hello, I'm a new bird owner since of June of this year. I own 2 budgies that were a gift from my dad after my sister begged for them. Just about 20ish minutes or so, I was letting my female budgie back inside her cage when I didn't see her foot and closed the door on it. She screamed and when I looked at it, her back toe was bleeding. My mom decided to use peroxide to stop the bleeding against my wishes. Unfortunately, we are low income and do not have the money for a vet. I didn't even know we were getting birds until my sister told me. I want to know what I can do because I'm very worried and I feel so guilty. I didn't mean for it to happen! This is what her foot looks like. Ignore that she's on a dowel perch. I plan changing the cage and replacing the perches for natural when I get the money. But help! What do I do??
Hiriki has explained everything perfectly, this is on side note in case your bird bites her toes and causes it to bleed or it starts bleeding you can use cornflour or flour but cornflour is better again this would rarely happen but just in case.

OP
A

Alicia Garcia

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Hiriki has explained everything perfectly, this is on side note in case your bird bites her toes and causes it to bleed or it starts bleeding you can use cornflour or flour but cornflour is better again this would rarely happen but just in case.
Keeping that in mind! Thxs!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Please don't use peroxide on bleeding wounds. It causes tissue damage, delays healing and stings badly. Same with rubbing alcohol.

OP
A

Alicia Garcia

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Please don't use peroxide on bleeding wounds. It causes tissue damage, delays healing and stings badly. Same with rubbing alcohol.
I am aware of this, however, my mom wasn't listening to me when I was telling her not to use peroxide and yet, she still did. I plan on getting styptic powder soon, will that work if my birds injure themselves??

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am aware of this, however, my mom wasn't listening to me when I was telling her not to use peroxide and yet, she still did. I plan on getting styptic powder soon, will that work if my birds injure themselves??
Absolutely! A small vial of stypic powder is cheap and wIill last years. You can use it on your own cuts. Parents can be so difficult sometimes. Next time they get a cut, ask them if you can pour some peroxide on it and see how it feels! Just kidding.

OP
A

Alicia Garcia

Aug 11, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Absolutely! A small vial of stypic powder is cheap and wIill last years. You can use it on your own cuts. Parents can be so difficult sometimes. Next time they get a cut, ask them if you can pour some peroxide on it and see how it feels! Just kidding.
Haha! Will do! 😉

Most Reactions