Injured conure....broken leg

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
My sun conure broke his leg recently Wen d cage's door closed down on his leg bone...I took him to the vet asap and d vet told he has to take medication n rest for 20 days n d vet plastered his whole leg. The bone cracked it seems 😥. Now I don't allow him to fly or move alot as I don't want him To strain otherwise the bone won't set . Since his leg is plastered he stands on one leg most of d time....I'm kinda scared dat how long can he stand on one leg...will something happen to him coz of standing on one leg d whole day...? Shall I keep the perch or remove it ?Plz someone give me Ur insights on dis...what can I do?
Suggest me some fruits and veggies dat r high in calcium n. Vitamin D too plzz..

26188d1620530305-injured-conure-broken-leg-zztj6.jpg

Attachments

• zztj6.jpg
    zztj6.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 969
Last edited by a moderator:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Oh man- that's scary/rough.

There are parrots out there with one leg, but I don't have a lot of experience with this. If it were to go on for a really long time, things could wear down in that other leg from overuse, but how long is the vet saying the plaster needs to stay?

How did the cage door slam on his leg?

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I assume the did X-Ray to confirm type of damage? If fractured but intact, should heal rather quickly. Clean breaks with offset bones may require pinning for complete cure. Hopefully your bird has minimal damage.

Standing on the "good" leg for a few weeks shouldn't cause permanent harm. Lowering perches often a good idea in case of fall due to reduced balance.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
awww. Poor thing.

I'd do what you are doing , make a towel into a roll, and shape around him to cradle and support him. Rotate so sometimes good side us down and sometimes bad side is down , and sometimes he is on his keel if he isn't moving on his own. Change position every two hours.

Also if he likes being held, still do that sometimes. Use you hand to support let both kegs hang down, you can hold close to your chest.

Feed normal diet. But I would probably offer a support feeding of warm baby burd formula, once ir twice a day, in addition to what he eats in his own. By syringe, not forces, but sort of encouraged . Many birds will like abd take if you go slow. Adult birds crops don't stretch. For your size bird I would offer 5-7 ml st time. There us a certain thickness and warmth offer makes them like it better, usually thick like greek yogurt. You can even bob your head when you offer, that encouraged mine. Go slow.

Its kate here. I will check in and write more later

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
D door was open n he started to climb up on dat....n all of a sudden d door jzt shut down ��

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
Yes we did take an X ray ...d leg was fractured n d worst part is d bones were offset...the doc told to come back in 20 days.. He gave some multi vitamins n after net surfing I found almonds r good too for d bones....so I have been giving him dat took..

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
Yea...I better keep the perch low tooo...I don't keep him rolled up anymore but at night I try to make him sleep inside a box covered with cloth in d inside.

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
By the way Habibi is moulting tooo ... He doesn't seem to be in pain nowadays..he acts normal n is energetic like before but his leg seems to worry me as Wen u look at it seems to be hanging...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
D door was open n he started to climb up on dat....n all of a sudden d door jzt shut down ��

That is terrifying-- I have a play-top cage that I never use the play-top on because that happened once and thankfully, Noodles wasn't around when it slammed shut.

You might look into a cage that has the doors that swing open, instead of the sliding types.

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
I'll look into d link...but since I'm from India not many sellers are there who make toys n perches for birds specifically.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
I'm sorry about the broken leg. Scary when they get hurt. My Poco got stepped on by a dog when he was very young. Clean break of his leg. Like your birdie, it had a "cast" put on it so it could heal.

I spent much time holding him in my hand so he could rest his good leg as much as possible. He healed quickly and 100%.

79d33b3fdaeffb17018b1e4de1138b72.jpg
e263f3de76538c2027e51b0c0c8529cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
Awww, poor guy, I really hope he gets to feeling better and his leg heals well for 100% usage. Close to the ground is probably best and like someone mentioned earlier something that he can perch and rest his bad leg on as well. Best of luck and keep us posted!

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
Yea I shud be looking into a different type of cage.... By the way I'm from India so there aren't a lot stores who sell variety of perches particularly for birds

OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
I can't hold him the while time....due to d circumstances ...

Cstone01

Jun 13, 2019
Years ago i had a Cockatiel who broke her leg, She required surgery. They had me keep her in a large fish tank, I don’t know if I remember how long. She also had a little cast. The Fishtank kept her from climbing around, I’m not sure if they have changed the recommendations over the years but it was Successful at the time.

She was also very comfortable being swaddled/wrapped in a towel (I did this after baths before). With her broken leg I would wrap her up and tuck her in the front of my sports bra during the day with her head out.

Last edited:
OP
C

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
Guys habibi is totally fine now...completely cured... thanks for Ur tips

Most Reactions