Introducing IRN's advice please

hawkeygirl5151

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
Parrots
1 goffins Too, 2 Indian Ringnecks
So riki is 18 weeks, bobi is 12 weeks...everytime I try to get them to meet they fight, i have them away from their cages and on a playstand.will it always be like this??

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Not necessarily. But maybe. I like some humans. I can't bear to be in the room with others.

My IRN's were introduced fully flighted so that they could get their own space when they needed it. I left cage doors open and supervised everything, and while they had the occasional growl or beaky moment, they are the best of friends now and moved in together. They'd eat, drink and put themselves into bed side by side in one cage, so the lovebird got an upgrade!

Make sure you handle both consistently. There could be jealousy issues. But also, you don't want the pendulum to swing too far the other way. I suggest waiting until they're both flying well - for our flock, it seems to put everything on the parrots own terms and they seem to rely less on aggressive behaviour.

You need to be super vigilant. They may hate each other and they may hurt each other.
You need to be super patient. You may get as lucky as me ;)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Agreeing with itcky.
Many here have found that they have to separate birds permanently... some have been fortunate and multiple birds get along.
You just never know! Never, ever.
Good for you for being so responsible and serious, and for reaching out!
I think that as long as you're willing to deal with whatever happens (e.g., separating them, if needed, handling added expenses, etc.), you'll be a great parront to both.
Good luck!

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
So... I'm not sure about ring neck to ring neck, but I can tell you that our ring neck picks on our great big umbrella cockatoo every chance he/she gets! She's an amazing IRN, but she picks fights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
So... I'm not sure about ring neck to ring neck, but I can tell you that our ring neck picks on our great big umbrella cockatoo every chance he/she gets! She's an amazing IRN, but she picks fights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I do wonder if birds get 'little bird syndrome'....our lovie is just like that!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It sounds like they don't care much for each other...If they are physically fighting, then you absolutely cannot leave them out together unsupervised, obviously, but you also need to remember that it takes only a split-second, literally, while you're sitting and watching them closely together, for one of them to lose an eye, a toe, or suffer a fatal head wound, or a wound deep enough for them to bleed to death...

As long as you do have them away from their cages (it's good that you thought of this) and they are still actually fighting, unfortunately it sounds like they aren't going to be very compatible...It's not unheard of that two birds learn to "tolerate" each other over time, however that isn't usually the case...So it's your responsibility to do what is best for them, and keep them apart to prevent something tragic happening...If you keep their cages in the same room then it's possible that they'll learn to get along, or at least not fight, but I wouldn't count on that happening at all...

I know this situation is tough, I have 3 birds that get along great, and then a fourth that doesn't get along with anyone....Oh, and a Ringneck Dove who is now the supreme ruler of my house...So I have to portion my time between the 3 and then the other, and that can be trying...But it's a part of owning multiple birds, same as buying birds to breed them, there is never any guarantee that they will even get along at all, let alone bond closely or mate...

Most Reactions