LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm yet to see my Frankie bathe. She might be doing it in the drink bowl while I'm at work but I don't know. She doesn't like being sprayed with water mist either even on a hot day.
How does your Peachie like to bathe?
From what I can gather, it seems princesses are split into two camps, those who love it and those who don't. Happily for me Peachie LOVES a bath, and she loves both trying to dunk herself in a water dish that's too small for her, (there's a bigger one, she just refuses to use it!) and she loves the mist bottle too. Hopefully Frankie will discover the joys of bath time, cos it's just too cute!!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
From what I can gather, it seems princesses are split into two camps, those who love it and those who don't. Happily for me Peachie LOVES a bath, and she loves both trying to dunk herself in a water dish that's too small for her, (there's a bigger one, she just refuses to use it!) and she loves the mist bottle too. Hopefully Frankie will discover the joys of bath time, cos it's just too cute!!
I hope so cos my Frankie smells a bit like bird poo ๐Ÿ’ฉ lol

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
You know iv only had a princess parrot for 5 or 6 weeks now but I'm ready to declare it "the best pet parrot" ๐Ÿ˜

Ok ok I'm just kidding but she is a contender for one of "the best parrots to keep in an apartment" I think or for someone who works. She isn't too needy or noisy or messy and can look after herself when I'm at work. She can get into some mischief outside of the cage if your place isn't bird safe just like any parrot but not as much as other parrots.

Some cons are that she poops a lot, every 10 minutes and she don't bathe either so she smells like poop a bit. Gotta try work on that.
She likes to nibble things including ears and fingers, overall she's quite gentile but sometimes pushes the boundaries and goes a bit too hard. We're working on that and she's learning where the boundary is.
I'm trying to get her used to scratches and cuddles but she just looks at me funny and backs away.

Overall I'm very happy with her. I give her a 9 out of 10 only cos she poops so much and smells. Ok 8.5 cos she rejects scratches as well.
My tiel is a 10 or 9.5 but he's another story. ๐Ÿ˜

PS Sorry for using your thread, hope you don't mind

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You know iv only had a princess parrot for 5 or 6 weeks now but I'm ready to declare it "the best pet parrot" ๐Ÿ˜

Ok ok I'm just kidding but she is a contender for one of "the best parrots to keep in an apartment" I think or for someone who works. She isn't too needy or noisy or messy and can look after herself when I'm at work. She can get into some mischief outside of the cage if your place isn't bird safe just like any parrot but not as much as other parrots.

Some cons are that she poops a lot, every 10 minutes and she don't bathe either so she smells like poop a bit. Gotta try work on that.
She likes to nibble things including ears and fingers, overall she's quite gentile but sometimes pushes the boundaries and goes a bit too hard. We're working on that and she's learning where the boundary is.
I'm trying to get her used to scratches and cuddles but she just looks at me funny and backs away.

Overall I'm very happy with her. I give her a 9 out of 10 only cos she poops so much and smells. Ok 8.5 cos she rejects scratches as well.
My tiel is a 10 or 9.5 but he's another story. ๐Ÿ˜

PS Sorry for using your thread, hope you don't mind
No I don't mind you posting on Peachie's thread. And I quite agree with you that princesses are wonderful companion parrots. But if you don't mind me saying, i think Frankie's smelly poop might be worth getting checked out. Peachie does not smell bad and neither does her poop, and I really don't think Frankie's should either. You could try adding apple cider vinegar to her water, but it has to be a brand like Bragg's that contains the mother culture. I use it occasionally, just make up a mix of 1 millilitre per 100ml of water and give it to them for 3 days, it's fine if Shifty drinks it too. You could try that and see if that clears up Frankie's smell, but if it doesn't resolve I think it might be time to pop down to the vet with her :)

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
No I don't mind you posting on Peachie's thread. And I quite agree with you that princesses are wonderful companion parrots. But if you don't mind me saying, i think Frankie's smelly poop might be worth getting checked out. Peachie does not smell bad and neither does her poop, and I really don't think Frankie's should either. You could try adding apple cider vinegar to her water, but it has to be a brand like Bragg's that contains the mother culture. I use it occasionally, just make up a mix of 1 millilitre per 100ml of water and give it to them for 3 days, it's fine if Shifty drinks it too. You could try that and see if that clears up Frankie's smell, but if it doesn't resolve I think it might be time to pop down to the vet with her :)
I'm going to take my birds to an avian vet for a check up after summer. I'll ask them then

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It may be wishful thinking but I think I can see a spatula feather coming through and you know what that means. It's hard to get a picture of but have a close look at the feather growing on the edge...

Screenshot_20240216-173519_Video Player.jpg

Is that a spatula feather? It might be me getting my hopes up but that doesn't look like a normal feather to me it looks like the spatula feathers I see in images. What do you think @LaManuka ? I'll be keeping a close eye om it

Here is another picture I just threw in. You can't see the spatula feather in question but I just like the photo.

Hanging out on the fly screen.

20240216_173543.jpg

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
It may be wishful thinking but I think I can see a spatula feather coming through and you know what that means. It's hard to get a picture of but have a close look at the feather growing on the edge...

View attachment 57847
Is that a spatula feather? It might be me getting my hopes up but that doesn't look like a normal feather to me it looks like the spatula feathers I see in images. What do you think @LaManuka ? I'll be keeping a close eye om it

Here is another picture I just threw in. You can't see the spatula feather in question but I just like the photo.

Hanging out on the fly screen.

View attachment 57848
Well, speaking with all of the vast expertise that I've gained in the last 8 months of having been owned by a princess parrot, I can absolutely definitely categorically say that that maybe might possibly perhaps be a spatula ;)

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Well, speaking with all of the vast expertise that I've gained in the last 8 months of having been owned by a princess parrot, I can absolutely definitely categorically say that that maybe might possibly perhaps be a spatula ;)
Ohhh might, possibly, perhaps, I'm so excited. Welcome to the bachelor pad Francesco, may those spatulas grow long and healthy.
I wonder what their for, aerodynamic reasons? I'm reminded of a peacock and all its ornamental feathers. Maybe the spatulas are ornamental to attract a mate as the guys have to do all the hard courting work, as usual ๐Ÿ˜‰

Last edited:

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I wish Frank and Shifty would get along.
The young princess parrot is very keen on Shifty. If I remove Shifty then Frank starts flock calling for him. Frank will often approach Shifty with a gentle demeanour.

Shifty wants none of it. I've had him for a year longer and he doesn't want to accept any new birds. He loves me and me only. In that year he rejected another tiel that died and a budgie which I gave to my mum.
When Frankie approaches, Shifty starts to squabble. It's not fighting there is no biting or clawing but it's the junior Frankie that comes out on top anyway.

Sometimes I see them perched close to each other, one sings while the other keenly watches and listens and they copy each others tunes but it's rare.
Also Frankie is coming out of his shell a lot more. Exploring, parading, singing and acting a clown, typical male behaviours I think.

This is about as close as they can get to each other

20240101_174443.jpg

Then Shifty starts to squabble with Frankie like typical school boys
20240101_174818.jpg

Shifty starts it but Shifty is the one that backs away. Frankie is a bit bigger, has a meaner looking beak, and a longer reach. He outmatches Shifty despite the one year age difference.

I hope Shifty eventually accepts Frankie, unfortunately there isn't much I can do about it but hope for the best ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Peachie is not crazy about my 'tiels either. But that may be because she only has eyes for a certain handsome little red headed rooster โค๏ธโ€๐Ÿ”ฅ

peachieljluv.jpg

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I got sick to death of Peachie chucking her veg onto the floor and wasting it, so I got one of those baffle cage things so I can weave stalks of broccolini through it, so hopefully it wonโ€™t hit the floor quite as fast. Try tossing that over the side, Peachie!!

IMG_1552.jpeg

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I got sick to death of Peachie chucking her veg onto the floor and wasting it, so I got one of those baffle cage things so I can weave stalks of broccolini through it, so hopefully it wonโ€™t hit the floor quite as fast. Try tossing that over the side, Peachie!!

View attachment 58042
That's a good idea.

Hey check out this bird in this aviary
It has the same colour tail feathers as a princess parrot
20240229_141959.jpg

Same beak and body shape as a princess parrot. It's even got those little pink socks like a princess parrot
20240229_142002.jpg

But it has no pink throat and is not a princess parrot.
Can you identify this close relative of the princess parrot?
And extra points for identifying the one with the yellow face in the background of the first image, also a close relative

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
That's a good idea.

Hey check out this bird in this aviary
It has the same colour tail feathers as a princess parrot
View attachment 58049
Same beak and body shape as a princess parrot. It's even got those little pink socks like a princess parrot
View attachment 58050
But it has no pink throat and is not a princess parrot.
Can you identify this close relative of the princess parrot?
And extra points for identifying the one with the yellow face in the background of the first image, also a close relative
Well the yellow faced one looks like a superb parrot to me. The other, geeezzzz I actually don't know! Perhaps a princess hybrid with something else? Is this aviary anywhere near you?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Well the yellow faced one looks like a superb parrot to me. The other, geeezzzz I actually don't know! Perhaps a princess hybrid with something else? Is this aviary anywhere near you?
The one with the yellow face is a male superb parrot like you said and the other one is the hen.

This pic was taken when the male was starting to develop the yellow face
20240115_172046.jpg

And for some extra points do you know what these guys are?
20240115_172038.jpg

They also have similar features to the princess parrot
20240115_172029.jpg

Their gorgeous too. The aviary is near me but not mine. I often just like to watch the antics of all the birds in the aviary

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Regent parrots! Lovely birds ๐Ÿ˜

Most Reactions

Latest posts