LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Did you notice that accidentally we got all 3 species of Polytelis on one page of this thread?:D

(Cuties)
That certainly would explain the similar tail feathers, Rozzy!!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Did you notice that accidentally we got all 3 species of Polytelis on one page of this thread?:D

(Cuties)
Polytelis... Ahhhh. I never knew that.
I looked into it and your right, there are 3 species that are in the polytelis genus; superb, regent and princess...
I see these birds in this aviary almost every day and I'm always amazed at how similar they are to each other, you can see they are closely related. This explains it. Thanks for passing on that knowledge.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is a great idea for locking in veggies!!

The reality of the Food Chain is that Parrot sit on the top and as a result, food rains down from above, to the joy of the ground dwellers. Works great outside, not so well when Mom has to clean-up afterwards. Hope that it works well for you!

Our Julio would just employ his common approach; "With force, over the side!"

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

The reality of the Food Chain is that Parrot sit on the top and as a result, food rains down from above, to the joy of the ground dwellers. Works great outside, not so well when Mom has to clean-up afterwards. Hope that it works well for you!

Thank you Uncle Boats! It's day two with the locked in veg and so far not a single stalk has been chucked over the side 😅 I'd have hung it up somewhere the way you're supposed to do with those things, but I know for a FACT a certain little red-headed rooster would have been sure to have pooped all over it by now!!!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I got sick to death of Peachie chucking her veg onto the floor and wasting it, so I got one of those baffle cage things so I can weave stalks of broccolini through it, so hopefully it won’t hit the floor quite as fast. Try tossing that over the side, Peachie!!

View attachment 58042
Did she ever find a way to still toss food? 😂😂😂 has she decided that it’s most important to toss food to see if it sticks to the wall? I’m pretty sure my Ekkie deserves a trophy 🏆 for his ability to play food toss on walls.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Did she ever find a way to still toss food? 😂😂😂 has she decided that it’s most important to toss food to see if it sticks to the wall? I’m pretty sure my Ekkie deserves a trophy 🏆 for his ability to play food toss on walls.
Oh she still quite gleefully chucks food alright, in her case though it's usually onto the floor. Stuff like pears and berries though, THEY most definitely end up on the curtains or the wall, as well as the floor, and it seems to be a case of the more expensive the fruit (or veg), the further it gets flung! I dunno, maybe that's the whole point of the exercise for both Peachie AND Nico??

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Clearly your Parrots are checking-out the price tags when you're not in the room! As they have clearly determined what gets the great attention when found high and hard to get too!
Well I guess I COULD try to buy cheaper fruit and veg for Peachie, but she's VERY spoiled and is used to the top shelf stuff now so she'd probably just turn her discerning little beakie up at it if I tried!!

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel

Or in my home, the conure is at the top while the cockatiels get the leftovers XD!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Aaa, the joy of being staff for HRH!!

I dunno about the term "staff", Uncle Boats, it's more like "indentured servitude" - and I don't think either you or I would have it any other way!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Just an update on Franky my princess parrot. That spatula looking feather is still there but it hasn't grown at all making me doubt if it is really a spatula feather. Their supposed to be on the 3rd flight feather so it should be growing. I'll keep monitoring it.

The more he comes out of his shell the more I think his a rooster with all his antics and singing his much more clownish than my tiel, louder and more vocal.

I think Frank is smarter than my tiel. He flies to me on command for a treat, my tiel doesn't but I didn't try it on Shifty as early as I have with Frank so it may be an unfair comparison.

The relationships are still the same. Frank loves Shifty but Shifty doesnt love him, Shifty loves me and I love them both. It's a love triangle but it works 🙂

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
These flowers were SUPPOSED to be for Lovejoy but a certain someone just couldn't resist. Funniest lookin' "lorikeet" I ever did see! ;)

IMG_1572.jpeg

And don't they match the pretty pink on her throat perfectly? 🥰

IMG_1571.jpeg

In fairness, Lovejoy always gets first dibs cos Peachie just tears them apart once she gets into them. Oh these two crazy kids, they are just SO cute together!! 💖

IMG_1576.jpeg

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
These flowers were SUPPOSED to be for Lovejoy but a certain someone just couldn't resist. Funniest lookin' "lorikeet" I ever did see! ;)

View attachment 58615

View attachment 58616

In fairness, Lovejoy always gets first dibs cos Peachie just tears them apart once she gets into them. Oh these two crazy kids, they are just SO cute together!! 💖

View attachment 58618
You have some really beautiful birds, and i LOVE peach.
That is diffidently the next king of bird that i buy.
Do you know about how much they cost?
❤😍😁

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
You have some really beautiful birds, and i LOVE peach.
That is diffidently the next king of bird that i buy.
Do you know about how much they cost?
❤😍😁
Which one? Peachie the princess parrot cost me $360 Australian from memory. They're not particularly common outside Australia but I don't know what one might cost you in your part of the world. As for a Varied lorikeet, I don't know that you'd find too many of those outside Oz or what one would cost you, they're not commonly kept as "pets" even over here!

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Which one? Peachie the princess parrot cost me $360 Australian from memory. They're not particularly common outside Australia but I don't know what one might cost you in your part of the world. As for a Varied lorikeet, I don't know that you'd find too many of those outside Oz or what one would cost you, they're not commonly kept as "pets" even over here!
Yes i meant peach, and thank you for the info.
I think i know a breeder that might have some princess parrots but I'm not for sure.
I hope he does though, because they are beautiful.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

View attachment 58615

View attachment 58616

View attachment 58618
Ah nice pictures...
I'm still waiting to confirm the sex of my princess parrot... I think it's a male cos of the way he acts...

He does everything to impress Shifty my tiel, he copy's Shiftys songs and sings them back but Shifty still doesn't like him much

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ah nice pictures...
I'm still waiting to confirm the sex of my princess parrot... I think it's a male cos of the way he acts...

He does everything to impress Shifty my tiel, he copy's Shiftys songs and sings them back but Shifty still doesn't like him much
I still wouldn't be so sure Frankie's a male based on this. Peachie gets VERY vocal when she's chattin' up Lovejoy, up to and including the head bobbing and raising those cute little "crest" feathers on her head!

Most Reactions

Latest posts