Need opinions on this air purifier

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hey folks,

I just wanted to double check on this air purifier my mom brought home for Nico’s room. It’s the Holmes HAP242, and it has optional ionization. Optional as in, a mechanical switch that turns it on and off.

Would this be safe to use for short periods? I’d just like to use it for a couple hours a day maybe to suck up the dust and dander Nico makes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The optional Ionization part is a serious issue. Never use it in the same home as you're Parrots. Consider using tape to avoid the Ionization unit being turned on!!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
The optional Ionization part is a serious issue. Never use it in the same home as you're Parrots. Consider using tape to avoid the Ionization unit being turned on!!
Yeah that’s my concern.

But wait- So I can use it as long as that’s switched off or I should just not use this purifier at all and get a different one? Sorry if I’m being dumb my brain is a bit fried right now.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
If you can return it and get a different one, there are several Holmes units that do not include ionization (like the HAP8650B-NU-2) as well as other brands that don’t (I know some people like levoit and they’re similarly priced).

If you can’t return it, I think it’s ok as long as you are confident that the ionization feature won’t get turned on. We have a Germ Guardian we used to use that had an optional ionizer too; we replaced it ages ago with something without an ionizing feature and use it in our bedroom now, but we simply never turned the ionizer on and therefore didn’t have an issue.

If you really want to reduce dust you’re going to need to leave it running all day. It isn’t going to pick up dust that has settled on surfaces either, so you will still need to dust and clean the room as usual. It does make a great deal of difference for air quality though!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
All of my air purifiers have the ionization option, we just make sure we never use it. We've had these for 7 years with no issues.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
If you can return it and get a different one, there are several Holmes units that do not include ionization (like the HAP8650B-NU-2) as well as other brands that don’t (I know some people like levoit and they’re similarly priced).

If you can’t return it, I think it’s ok as long as you are confident that the ionization feature won’t get turned on. We have a Germ Guardian we used to use that had an optional ionizer too; we replaced it ages ago with something without an ionizing feature and use it in our bedroom now, but we simply never turned the ionizer on and therefore didn’t have an issue.

If you really want to reduce dust you’re going to need to leave it running all day. It isn’t going to pick up dust that has settled on surfaces either, so you will still need to dust and clean the room as usual. It does make a great deal of difference for air quality though!
I can’t return it, it’s been in use for a while- but I can buy a new one if it’s an issue! Price isn’t the problem, I want Nico to live lol.

Ok, that’s great to hear! I’m the only one that will be using it I think, but I can tape the whole extra button over and tell my family.

Oh, ok, thanks for the advice! That’s what I’m hoping to prevent, he’s making the desk all dusty from all the stuff he throws 😂 But also it’s just not good for him either to be breathing that in. Yes it definitely does! I used to use one even with my budgie and even then it made a difference!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
All of my air purifiers have the ionization option, we just make sure we never use it. We've had these for 7 years with no issues.
Thank you for the input!! That makes me feel better.

Most Reactions