IRN Problem bird

ASB

Jan 22, 2016
I posted this on another forum and they told me to ask you guys here:

I've been thinking

My untame indian ringneck currently hates all human contact. She'll accept food from your hand and around the start of mating season she might let you poke her through the cage bars. However, if you open the cage, she freaks out instantly so I try to avoid doing that. She absolutely hates Bobby (my quaker), but he's friendly toward her. If i don't watch him when I let him out, he'll fly/climb to her cage and just chill while she tried to destroy his feet. I've been trying for a very long time to get her more and more friendly, but she just doesn't trust people much at all. I'm kind of at the point where I want to give up and give her away, but the only thing I can see her being is a breeder bird, but she's aggressive to other birds. If she could become a breeder bird, that would be a much better life for her than what she has now, because I can't let her out of the cage as she's extremely aggressive and impossible to put back without toweling her, scaring her half to death, and potentially losing massive chunks from your fingers.

I just don't know if she'd be able to fit in somewhere, because she's aggressive. I wouldn't sell her, I'd giver her away for free and do my best to find a good home. With the saved space, I was thinking of getting another friend for Bobby who can actually be with him without attacking him. Both birds would have better quality of life then I think. I just don't want to give her away and have it be a death sentence for her, but I don't think its fair to her to keep her in a situation where I know I probably won't be able to ever meet her needs. Any ideas on what I can do?

When I say a long time, this birds been in the family since I was a kid, I'm 20 now.

https://www.parrotrescuecentre.com/rehoming

I found that site after making the above post, and it seems like an excellent option. Just wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what the best thing to do here is. I live in Brisbane, Australia.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you considered training her at all starting from inside the cage without opening the door? Hillary Hankey has two great posts about gaining trust and working with fearful birds. The part about the parrotlets is especially good!

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Parrot Behavior Myths: Building Trust | Learning Parrots

First, you want the bird to be comfortable with your presence. If you can't get close to the cage without the bird freaking out, then only go as close as the bird is comfortable with without the bird freaking out. If you see any sign the bird is looking for an escape, you need to stop and relax. Allow the bird to calm down. Then take a step or two back. Let the bird be in control. Then try the slow approach again. It may help to not look directly at her.

If you need to change the dishes, take it very slow and no direct eye contact. You want to be as none-threatening as possible.

If you know what her favorite treat is, then every time you walk by the cage, drop that treat inside a dish for her, but try and make sure you do it in a manner where she doesn't freak out. In this way, she can look forward to your presence.

Most Reactions

Latest posts