Is a Meyers right for me?

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
Hi Poi People! I have been toying with getting a bird of my own for a while now (I grew up with a YNA, budgie, lovebirds, Nanday...but I've been bird-less for a while now living on my own), and scanning Craig's List just in case...well, there is a 1 year old Meyers available and I am very interested. From what I've read so far, these seem like great little birds.

The current owner doesn't have much time for him and would like to find him a new home. I know the pet shop from which he was purchased and they test for PBFD, vaccinate for polyomavirus (so we should be safe when I visit the birds at my parent's house). Per the owner, he's a little nippy, but hasn't had much interaction lately.

Sooo...I'm wondering if he'll be happy with the time I would have for him. I'm generally away from home 7-7 M-F. Will 2+ hours in the evening of out-of-cage play-time be enough? Are they fairly independent as far as being alone most of the day?

Are Meyers known to go after other animals (I'm thinking about things I've heard about caiques here...I have a little dog)? Any tips about keeping them on playstands and off the floor (again - the little dog thing)? Just wanting to get this guy if it's a good fit. I'm looking for an only bird (he's an only bird now) who will do well with that, and one that gets along with other people/pets. I know there is no sure thing. Just interested in your experiences and thoughts on the matter. Thanks!

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
He should be fine as long as you spend some time every day and he has a nice big cage with lots to do.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I have a Senegal, not the same, but similar. During the week Sammie gets about 3 hours a day out of the cage. I think with a big cage and lots of toys you'd be fine.

I also have 5 dogs and 2 cats, 2 linnies and 6 finches.. Sammie is not the least bit interested in any of them. She's only interested in me, period. I've trained both my cats and dogs to leave the birds alone, but when one gets too close to her or her cage she will give them a nip (or at least try to) and my dogs quickly back off. The cats stay far, far away from her.

Just my .02 I'd bring the meyers home and get into a routine, one you can maintain long term. Sammie is used to the way things are done...ie first thing I do when I get home I give her her fresh veggies and fruit. She eats that while I'm changing clothes, etc. Then we have our snuggle/play/training time, etc etc until I put her up for bed at 8pm.

She's pretty good about staying on the cage, but if I haven't spent enough time with her she will fly/hop off and hunt me down.

Most Reactions