Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
So I made this hut like thing.

i took the PVC pipe that's blue and can bend. Like tubing I guess? And put it in a ring. Screwed lil hooks into the top and hung from the top of the cage. Over the middle of a perch. You can kinda see it in the pic. Not details but you can see it. I then tied strips of fleece on it to make like a lil house. Chichi and Ringo don't care for it....but maybe because Houdini lives in there! You can easily move the strips to the side and see him in there. He is in there most of the day. He comes out if I ask him to play with me, or to eat and sometimes just cuz. But for the most part he's in there just hanging out. Alone. And happy.

Why do you think he does this? Is he shy? Or just a private bird? Or something else? I'd love to hear your input!

2012-09-18132928_zpsaa45ef59.jpg

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Ok, first off...that is awesome!!! I am so stealing that idea!

As for Houdini, I can't answer...but he obviously loves his "house" and he does come out and interact...so I would guess you just made him the best present ever, and he is enjoying it!

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Yeah, that looks great! If he's happy and interacting, he might just be liking the privacy. You could try partially covering part of his "roof" and see how he responds to that. Maybe he feels safer when not exposed to the "sky".

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

Oh! Good idea! I'll cover it today with a piece of fleece.

Thekatsmeow

Aug 14, 2012
Athens,Tennessee
Parrots
Scottie Rotten the Massively Minute Macaw
Oh...my sweet Lori...when I look at your cage setup I can see your OCD issues all over the place lol! I love your creativity and I think we can all agree that if we die and are reincarnated we want to come back as one of your fids.

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

Are you jealous of my symmetry?! Lol

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Conures in general typically enjoy dark places to 'hide' in. In fact, my mitred conure *loves* carriers! He'd rather spend time in a carrier than inside his cage, and he has a 32 x 23 cage! (down graded from a 40 x 30... the turd! lol)

Here's a couple videos of Charlie in his carrier(s) at night.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OKIVzwfxo]Bedtime Noises - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiSy867bpik]Laughing Monster - YouTube[/ame]​

Noel, my cherry head (RIP), used to love sleeping and hiding in an over-turned cardboard box with a hole in the side. He was never aggressive or hormonal about it, he just enjoyed being in there!

As long as they don't become aggressive or hormonal, it may be fine to allow them a dark place... and I see that both have happy hats already!

Most Reactions